Penang retired life

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Penang retired life

Post by Dinosaur » 6th Sep, '12, 11:27

Just an update and if anyone wants to know anything about Penang, just fire away. And if anyone is visiting up here anytime, hey, drop me a PM and let's meet up for kopi.

Can't believe we're into year 3 here. Where did the time go? Apart from some personal problems, life is pretty good for me. I'm feeling settled here. I'm sure it wouldn't suit everyone, but I like the life. Up the north of the island, not so frantic and quite a lot of retirees - both local and expats. Fairly laid back lifestyle apart from...ahem...the driving standards... but that's OK... I've had a superduper extra loud horn fitted to my car and it works just a treat when the motorbikes get in the way :D Assertive driving style required.

The food is just great of course. The infrastructure, compared to Singapore, leaves something to be desired. The island, especially Georgetown and further north, is predominantly Chinese racially. The mix is not dissimilar to Singapore, though more Malays and Indians. Penang state is controlled by the opposition DAP party (which used to be the sister arm of Singapore's PAP). State governor Lim Guan Eng seems to have changed Penang for the better, though probably a long way to go, and some alleged funding niggles between Penang and the National Government.

Some new parts of Penang island are strangely Singaporesque. There's a big E&O development on mostly reclaimed land in the north. I understand that quite a few Singaporeans have snapped up houses there as they are, relatively speaking, cheap. Well... cheap compared with Singapore. There's a very nice marina there with some nice eateries and some glitzy shops too. The glitzy shops always seem to be empty, so wonder if they will last. I'll see if I can upload a couple of pics from Straits Quay.
Attachments
SQ2 compressed size.jpg

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Re: Penang retired life

Post by Dinosaur » 6th Sep, '12, 11:31

SQ 1 compressed size.jpg
Straits Quay with Georgetown in the background.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 7th Sep, '12, 16:09

I love Penang (Georgetown in particular) and would consider retiring there, though it's a long way from home and I guess lots of other considerations will arise in the two-three decades between now and that time!

Thanks for posting.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 7th Sep, '12, 22:51

So if Florida is considered God's waiting room, then Penang is now Allah's waiting room?

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 8th Sep, '12, 09:02

So Dino, me never having been to Penang, but plan to go sometime this year, how does living in Penang contrast with living in Phuket?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 8th Sep, '12, 10:10

Lichtgestalt wrote:So if Florida is considered God's waiting room, then Penang is now Allah's waiting room?
Hi...I guess you didn't read my post thoroughly. Penang is majority Chinese (racially) and State Governor is also Malaysian Chinese. Have a think about it. It's not too difficult to work out really.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 8th Sep, '12, 10:21

Sardonicus wrote:So Dino, me never having been to Penang, but plan to go sometime this year, how does living in Penang contrast with living in Phuket?
Very different. I'm talking living not holidaying. More to do here. More "expat-friendly". Being ex-colonial, I guess they are used to Brits and Aussies, so it's a better fit for us. English speaking and most people have had a good education. I realise the importance of the education bit now. In Phuket so many don't have the advantage of education - sad really. Lots of good medical facilities in Penang - verrry important once you get into senior years. Phuket did have two international hospitals. They were pretty good I thought and sort of English speaking - but the language is a problem there (I mean for living and retirement. Holidays - who cares)

Holidaywise is a whole different kettle of fish. If you want a beach holiday, loads of bars and "entertainment", great Thai curries, Phuket is the place to go. Penang does have some good beaches outside the tourist areas, but you have to go hunt for them. Not the place to come if you want sun and sand to be honest.

Where are you thinking of staying Sardy? It's a holiday I take it?

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 8th Sep, '12, 13:56

Dinosaur wrote:
Lichtgestalt wrote:So if Florida is considered God's waiting room, then Penang is now Allah's waiting room?
Hi...I guess you didn't read my post thoroughly. Penang is majority Chinese (racially) and State Governor is also Malaysian Chinese. Have a think about it. It's not too difficult to work out really.
Have to admit that I stopped reading after the second paragraph :oops: and never been much to Malaysia except KL and the waters surrounding Tioman. Still have Malacca on my todo list and Penang as well. Malaysia somehow is never high on the list of people visiting Asia, they all go to Vietnam, etc. first

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 9th Sep, '12, 11:19

I don't like KL. I visited a few times when I was living in Singapore and that probably helped convince me (temporarily) that Malaysia was not for me. I've been down there a couple of times to get visas extended and transferred, and still don't like the place. Mind you, I'm not too keen on Georgetown either - a bit too chaotic and frantic for me. This is probably an age thing :( Nice buildings though.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 9th Sep, '12, 21:52

Yes it would be a weekend trip, whenever we get around to it. Been talking about it for a year or so.......
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 9th Sep, '12, 22:13

Send me a PM if you're coming, let's meet up for kopi.

Also what kinda holiday you want,? G Hotel highly rated and central.feel free to use me as a soundboard