LA - a Third World City?

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

LA - a Third World City?

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Apr, '08, 11:33

Well, that's what's reported in the Torygraph

Basically it's saying the immigrants do not have the required skills to fill the jobs and therefore live in poverty.

Skank, how does this feel now you're living there? Any truth about it or just a crock of crap with the Limeys putting the Sepos down?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Re: LA - a Third World City?

Post by skank-la » 24th Apr, '08, 23:52

This story was an above the fold headline in the LA Times earlier this week.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 5567.story

LA defies description in many ways. It's official now that in 50% of the households here Spanish is the language spoken round the dinner table. It is also home to the largest Persian, Armenian, Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Korean, Filipino , etc, etc expatriate communities in the USA.

The public education system is in shambles due to the fact its populated at the lower levels with mostly Latino immigrant (legal & illegal) who cant speak English & who's parents are not involved in the Educational process. They look at it as a free day care system. In this environment education cant happen. So we now we have in the public school sphere one of the lowest high school completion/graduation rates in the entire country. This is mostly Hispanic & Blacks who dont completeeven high school. Caucasians & Asian generally either go to private schools or live in high income neighborhoods where the public schools are popualted by their peers & are good. However the absolute numbers percentage wise are getting huge for the noneducated segments of society.

Violence in the black/latino 'hoods' is at levels maybe more analagous to Baghdad than a peace time industrialized nation. But if you live in the right postal code it's seems as far away as it does to you sitting in Singapore.

My big question is if all the manufacturing jobs move offshore what will people who don't have advanced degrees do for a living?

Living here is nice, we get to see Beck's play every weekend, or go to the Dodgers games, surfing in the summer, great music, better food town than Singapore even, but the USA has some very serious problems, exacerbated by 8 years of Darth Cheney & Idiot Bush. If we don't change the regime in November & start fixing some of the problems here extermely soon it will defintely mean the decline of the USA. Problem with that is when there is shake-up in the established order things often get much worse before they get better. If the US self-destucts what happens to the rest of the world?
Last edited by skank-la on 25th Apr, '08, 07:32, edited 2 times in total.
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 25th Apr, '08, 02:56

skank-la wrote:..... very serious problems, exacerbated by 8 years of Darth Cheney & Idiot Bush. If we don't change the regime in November & start fixing some of the problems here extermely soon it will defintely mean the decline of the USA.
According to the idiot, there is no recessionary crisis whatsoever in the US. Oh to be so oblivious! I'll have some of what he's smoking thank you very much.
[smilie=w00t.gif]
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 25th Apr, '08, 07:36

Zephyr wrote: I'll have some of what he's smoking thank you very much.
[smilie=w00t.gif]
You'll have to fight skank for it.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 25th Apr, '08, 08:23

Thanks, skank. Do you have any feel if it is better/same/worse than other cities? San Francisco or New York perhaps?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 25th Apr, '08, 08:28

If the highlight of living in LA is watching Beckham play, I can undertand why people turn to drugs.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 25th Apr, '08, 08:35

Ouch!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.