Hurricane Sandy

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Hurricane Sandy

Post by daffodil » 29th Oct, '12, 21:08

Some storm with over 60 people killed thus far. Hopefully won't live up to predictions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20121811
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Post by chocolate » 30th Oct, '12, 00:40

Tis a tad windy outside my window - and i'm not even in the thick of it......Am completely stocked up on and wine and beer so completely prepared for the worst!

In all seriousness though - it's looking pretty scary out there
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 30th Oct, '12, 08:53

allegedly first fatality in US, just after landfall. one appartment building in Manhattan lost its facade...

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 30th Oct, '12, 10:27

I've spent the past hour on FB combing through the updates and pics friends and family posting from their neighborhoods in NYC, NJ and PA. Last I heard the water is receding, but they're expecting high tide in the morning to be pretty bad.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 30th Oct, '12, 12:13

little M's godparents in Virginia are now apparently under blizzard warning, with up to 8 inches of snow possible, which is a little odd for October, apparently.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 30th Oct, '12, 12:25

Insane footage of a ConEd power station exploding at 14th Street and FDR Drive.

A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 30th Oct, '12, 12:29

There have been some early reports that there are workers trapped in the station, but Con Ed says it's not true.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 30th Oct, '12, 12:38

Nowhere near the scale of what's going on in the US, M, but the North of England has already had snow. Weird shit going on.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 30th Oct, '12, 16:22

Yeah, just keepin' my fingers crossed about the farm on the eastern shore of Maryland. Mom is on the Western shore in Towson with my cousin so we wont know for another day or two about the flood damage (if any - fingers crossed). As the storm hit north of us in Jersey we were in the southern side of the storm. They were calling last night for flooding about 2' over normal high tide, if it doesn't go much further than that we should be okay. The last one (Isabelle) had my mother in a FEMA trailer through the whole winter trying to get it dried out.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 30th Oct, '12, 18:18

HuffPost site, amongst others, is down due to the storm. HuffPost UK's Tech Team's answer to this (needs proofing!) : https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3368_n.jpg

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 1st Nov, '12, 00:35

The skankster & I are finally back after a Hurricane Sandy weekend

We booked a large family reunion for my moms 83rd birthday at the Blockade Runner on Wrightsville Beach, NC
for last weekend. The Blockade Runner is on a small barrier island that was separated from the mainland until 40 years ago when a bridge was built. All rooms have a view- beachside or soundside as its a tiny island

http://blockade-runner.com/

We flew in last Thursday, our family had 15 or so rooms for 40 people. I had a 4th floor 'Ocean View' room w,floor to ceiling windows & a small balcony. We were anticipating a fun weekend on the beach surfing, kayaking etc

Things started to get ugly Friday night-when we woke up Sat AM we were in the midst of a full on hurricane w/waves pounding over the beach to the hotel. Sat afternoon they handed out flashlight etc in case the power went out. Having grown up on the Florida coast I'm no stranger to these storms & I was a lot more worried than I let on to the Skankster

Basically we spend 2 days in the hotel bar & restaurant. We went out towards the beach a few times but really got klcked around by the 60MPH winds so we were relegated to watching it from our front row seats; our room. Flights out of Wilmington were cancelled & we were worried that if they evacuated the hotel we would really have nowhere to go but drive inland in the rent a car

Spent a lot of time in the bar, went to some good Carolina BBQ, & my son & his cousins raced around the hotel like any set of cooped up kids.Finally the storm had passed us by Monday & the surfers came out of the woodwork in droves to surf the remaining high waves; we really had only got brushed by the side of Sandy, it turned inland at Jersey, NY & we all know the rest

We'll never forget my Mom's 83rd thats for sure
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Nov, '12, 07:24

Spending the whole weekend in the hotel bar? Sounds good! ;)

Glad all is well.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Nov, '12, 04:17

Many of you will remember Joy, who went back to the US a few years back. She's in the thick of it and still without power but unharmed and amazingly chipper.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 2nd Nov, '12, 07:48

I was just thinking about her (and her dog) the other day when the storm was the only news, she lives north of NYC doesn't she? Great to hear that she made it through OK.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Nov, '12, 07:58

That's the one. Bit chilly I hear, but OK.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 2nd Nov, '12, 09:48

Good to hear Joy is ok.

I was reading reports this morning, and, wow, the president of Staten Island is hopping mad at the Red Cross :o And from the sounds of it, the anger and frustration sounds pretty justified. Homes washed away, people without power, food, water and even clothing and 3 days in, no sign of disaster relief from the Red Cross. And to add insult to injury, it seems the city is making plans for the NYC marathon to go on as scheduled (this weekend?).

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Nov, '12, 09:56

WTF should the Red Cross be the ones who are being berated? The US is a Developed Country with mechanisms available for natural disasters. FEMA, the National Guard, the various civil defence groups should all have responsibilities and charities like the Red Cross just help out when they can.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 2nd Nov, '12, 09:57

Agree with FB. Why the Red Cross ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 2nd Nov, '12, 10:07

I meant the anger and frustration in general was justified - I don't have any idea if he should have singled out the Red Cross or not. I'm sure it's the fact that they feel like no organization at all is stepping up to help out right now, or at least that's the way it sounded in the article I read.

Edit: The Red Cross typically collects tons of money at times like this, so, I guess that can make them a target when they are unseen where people have real need.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Nov, '12, 10:12

I think they're a bit busy in Haiti, the Dom Rep and Cuba right now. They probably don't have a FEMA.