On The Other Hand...

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

On The Other Hand...

Post by azzam » 19th May, '08, 12:18

...having just had whinge about plumbing.
I just came back from a glorious week in New Zealand. Haven't liked it so much for a long time. The light was clear and bright in the way only New Zealand light can be ( it's true!! ) Clean, sharp lines that defined the direction of New Zealand art once the pioneers had got over trying to paint it the same way they had painted Europe - all soft and fuzzy.
Brilliant blue skies, sparkling water, so many different shades of green my head hurt from thinking about it. Why are there more shades of green in NZ than anywhere else in the world? Has anyone else ever noticed that?
The shadows! They are so crisp and clean. Do you Kiwis remember playing with your shadows when you were kids? It's because they are definitely sharper down there. You can't play shadows half as well in Europe or Asia, with its hazy skies. And the stars...well....
On top of all the visual information overload, there was an open fire in the bedroom, the usual great food and wine and a whole uninterrupted week of my son's jovial and relaxed company. Bliss.
I watched him graduate. What a clever boy. [smilie=yahoo.gif]
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: On The Other Hand...

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 19th May, '08, 12:24

Congratulations! NZ sounds wild and wonderful.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 19th May, '08, 12:35

Sounds lovely, az - we want to go on holiday to NZ now we're not so far away. Might wait 'til Summer though. :D

I love the sky here - even though it's damn cold, the sky is so clear and blue. (The GBF, as an artist, has always gone on about the light here.) Also when it gets dark, it's really dark - none of that orange glow that Singapore has.

edit: Oh and so glad you had a great time with your boy.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 19th May, '08, 14:44

congratulations Azz

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 19th May, '08, 17:16

Congrats and a bloody good slap for being there when the weather is nice. I never seem to manage that.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

azzam

Post by azzam » 19th May, '08, 17:25

Owww!!

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 19th May, '08, 18:38

more importantly (not really) how was the wine?

oh and sounds like an excellent visit :D I miss blue skies like that

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Post by kittykat » 19th May, '08, 18:54

Congrats Azz. That's wonderful news and sounds like someone was looking after you weather-wise. Well done to son of Azz on graduating as well.
Because you're worth it...

azzam

Post by azzam » 19th May, '08, 19:36

There was a great shot in the Wellington paper of all the students massed in their glad rags - a big crowd shot from above. There's Sonof a head taller than everyone else, in his cool shades [smilie=lunettesnoires2.gif]

The wine was good. Maybe a little past it, not as big and strong as I'd expected, almost a light port feel about it. But enjoyed by both, thanks.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 19th May, '08, 22:58

Excellent! Sounds like everything was on your side. Sometimes life just throws wonderful things like that at you doesn't it! :D
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous