10,000BC

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Re: 10,000BC

Post by Burbage » 11th Mar, '08, 05:53

Unfortunately none of those has made it to the local cinema here. They are kept out by the likes of 10,000 BC. I'm certainly waiting for Atonement and No Country for Old Men to come out on DVD. The Potter film and Hot Fuzz are so far the only DVDs I have from 2007.

Wonder if Juno will make it here.

So Azzam, that account for the reason why there is one theatre to every twenty cinemas in a city, but that doesn't account for people not turning up automatically, as they do for the likes of 10,000 BC. Are theatre goers more intelligent? They wait for the kind of play they like? They need reviews? How do we get the hoi polloi to come? Because, frankly, that's what we're dealing with here on the Tablelands. I'll have 600 seats going on sale within the week. I need marketing strategies.

Of course, reviews aren't everything. I went to see Gangs of New York because many reviews said it was good...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Mar, '08, 07:58

Oh, many movie goers go because the lead in teh part is someone they like or have seen before and like the previous film.

Brad Pitt good in Fight Club, therefore all his movies must be good. Errr....no, not really. Troy and Seven I thought were crap, or I certainly didn't enjoy.

So all you've got to do to fill the 600 seats is get a star that has been in a few plays that everyone has seen and liked. Then "they will come".
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 11th Mar, '08, 08:58

You didn't like Seven? Apart from Brad over-doing the angry young man role, I thought it was pretty good.

Yes, unfortunately we're starting a bit from scratch. The recent theory has been to do plays derived from television shows (Are You Being Served and Fawlty Towers etc) or based on films or books (101 Dalmations, Pride and Predjudice) because people will know the story/characters and come along. And, as with all remakes, they suffer in comparison with the original. They haven't done a play for ages. So first of all, the advertisees will have no idea what the play is about and it's my feeling that's why they'll not come. You know where you are with titles like 10,000 BC.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 11th Mar, '08, 09:22

You need to make theatre hip. I would include in the marketing plan an activity that helps develop a theater going culture for the future. Like your beloved religion, attack the minds of the young. Have a schools day where you offer one matinee performance free of charge or at seriously reduced prices. I would keep the tickets limited to 20 per school and approach the Art & Drama departments directly.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 11th Mar, '08, 11:40

Poss is right. Word of mouth spreads theatre, hype spreads cinema.

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 11th Mar, '08, 17:42

A condition that doesn't, apparently, apply to movies. So why?[/quote]

It does for me.

However, live drama is still tarred with the "highbrow" brush and this puts people off. That's my theory, and at least it means it's easy to get tickets for live theatre.
Life's too short...

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Mar, '08, 17:50

I don't think theatre is a hard sell.

Well, not if it's by Bell Shakespeare company, for example.

Tickets always like golddust because you can guarantee a decent, often provoking experience with acclaimed actors and directors.

Hence, no problem with getting bums on seats here in Sydney - in fact theatre attendance is very strong. For quality productions anyway.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 11th Mar, '08, 19:15

But the very fact that a lot of live theatre is sponsored and subsidised by the government (I'm not sure if this happens in Oz, but it is certainly the case in Blighty) suggests that it is not commercially succesful. In the UK, it would surprise me for someone to comment -

"No problem with getting bums on seats here - in fact theatre attendance is very strong."

- as you have Daff.
Life's too short...

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Mar, '08, 20:06

Yep, was referring to Sydney and commercial theatre groups that do well here.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 12th Mar, '08, 06:13

Hmmm.... maybe our seats aren't big enough. Must look into that.

Well, the publicity campaign is about to start. Local radio is the first port of call. There are plenty of people in Cairns who would come if they could get up here easily, maybe there's some kind of cross marketing I can do with guest houses and the military museum. The people of the Tablelands as apathetic a bunch as I've come across since I left Strabane.

If the mountain won't come to Burbage, then Burbage must go to the mountain.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Mar, '08, 07:39

daffodil wrote:Yep, was referring to Sydney and commercial theatre groups that do well here.
You probably have good audiences in London and in Stratford. Remember going to a few Shakespeare plays in the UK as a kid and always full. Bloody difficult to get a pint at half-time too. Though that might have been because I was 15......
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal