Brick Lane

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: bloody marvellous

Brick Lane

Post by Fuzz » 19th Mar, '08, 20:07

The movie reminds me of a song that says, “You’re so beautiful, but oh so boring …”

I received a free ticket for the advance screening of Brick Lane - and even though I ‘umm and errrr’-ed about it, I gave it a go at the end.

The movie is about Nazneen, a Bangladeshi girl who is married to a much older, rotund Bangladeshi who lives in London. The movie deals with Nazneen’s obedience and love for her husband and the family, as well as her longing for her sister and home in Bangladesh. It also explores Nazneen’s infatuation with a guy named Karim, which at the end makes her realise what she really wants in life.

The movie starts off well - the photography is lush and the music is beautiful and soothing. However, I was soon irritated by the fast-forward-and-slow directing technique often used in horror movie. Somehow the director thought that it would be artistic to use it in the beginning of the movie. I can’t really see what she wants to achieve with that. The rest of the movie is well … beautiful, but very boring. There’s no dramatic building, the emotional tension is also start-and-stop, so I ended up checking my watch numerous times and wishing the movie would end soon.

The acting is so so but the actress playing Nazneen Ahmed (Tannishtha Chatterjee) does play her part really well as an obedient, submissive woman with a strong beautiful heart.

Rating: 2/5.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Brick Lane

Post by Kooky » 19th Mar, '08, 20:13

Bummer :( this is on my list of ones to see. (It's taken me nearly six years but I recently discovered daytime movie watching, on my own. I've seen a couple that Neo wouldn't want to see. Might have to keep it up when we move.)

Had you read the book, Fuzz? I thought it was excellent.

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fuzz » 19th Mar, '08, 20:22

No Kook -- I haven't read the book. I would recommend you to hire the DVD instead ... I saw that some people still give the movie 4 stars in Facebook, but I was really bored ... sorry. :oops:

I would recommend 'The Jane Austen Bookclub' instead (gave it 3.5/5 in my Flixster page in Facebook) - I quite enjoyed that even though I was quite apprehensive in the beginning because I knew it was a chick-flick. Had a good chuckle from time to time - prior knowledge about Austen's books would be great (I haven't read any of her books) because the movie interweaves the characters with Austen's characters. :)

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 19th Mar, '08, 21:12

The book was fairly good, I had hoped the film would be better - ah well...
Life's too short...

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 19th Mar, '08, 21:38

Kooky wrote:Bummer :( this is on my list of ones to see. (It's taken me nearly six years but I recently discovered daytime movie watching, on my own. I've seen a couple that Neo wouldn't want to see. Might have to keep it up when we move.)

Had you read the book, Fuzz? I thought it was excellent.
Good idea Kooky, keep it up!
If you go early in the week you should get decent prices in Australia for cinemas during the day (otherwise it may come as a bit of a shock to pay the full prices there after Sing prices). I recently discovered movies in the daytime too, and love going by myself or sometimes with a friend if she can make it. So good to be able to see movies on the big screen that Mr P would never go and see.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 19th Mar, '08, 21:55

I was actually going to see it yesterday at Vivo, but the time clashed with my appointment for imitating a pincushion.

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 19th Mar, '08, 22:00

Darn, the book was really good.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fuzz » 19th Mar, '08, 22:19

Well, you may still enjoy it - but IMHO, rent the DVD and watch it with some friends at home.

IMDB gives it: 6.7 / 10
Rotten Tomatoes: 67% (2.7 / 5)
David Stratton / Margaret Pomeranz (Aussies would know who they are): both give the movie 3.5 / 5.

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 20th Mar, '08, 09:48

I enjoyed the book as well.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Mar, '08, 11:28

Kooky wrote:I was actually going to see it yesterday at Vivo, but the time clashed with my appointment for imitating a pincushion.
Made me think of pinhead!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 20th Mar, '08, 11:31

I haven't had any in my face yet but I did have some in the back of my head last week. Bit bizarre but not at all painful.

Ahem, sorry - Brick Lane...

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 20th Mar, '08, 17:45

I thought it was depressing.. but also very Boring. Hollywood movies only for me next time hopefully.