Inception

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Inception

Post by Joseph27 » 17th Jul, '10, 20:46

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inception/

Gold... I loved this film and am going to be hard pressed not to watch it again tomorrow. From the creator of Memento - this film delves even further into the workings of the human mind and was thoroughly enjoyable as an intelligent and very fast paced film. I have seen a few bad reviews but all seemed to miss the plot somehow... I love this film...
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Inception

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Jul, '10, 22:14

This one is on my list. Wasn't aware it was out already, must get tickets for next week!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 18th Jul, '10, 07:41

Spoil yourself... this is gold class material
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 18th Jul, '10, 11:47

The overarching narrative of Inception captivates the more intelligent members of its audience the moment they piece together the opening sequence and then takes them on a journey deep into the unconscious mind in Christopher Nolan's latest manifestation of genre defining / bending genius.

This film works on so many levels and requires more than one viewing to fully appreciate the depth of material on offer. DiCaprio's character is able to plunge into the deepest parts of the characters mind and once there understand a human's unconscious reasoning where the possibilities are only limited by the ability to navigate a dream and time slows exponentially the further down one descends. In this imagined world that never leaves your own mind, 'id' protects the target and it is an action packed race to find information hidden from our conscious selves.

The architectural construction of the dreams, the interplay between characters and the haunting images from DiCaprio's own past all meld together in this film that redefines expectations in the genre with a massive evolutionary leap in creativity and intelligence. (my attempt at a review)
Last edited by Joseph27 on 18th Jul, '10, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

Dystopia

Post by Dystopia » 31st Jul, '10, 23:41

Memento was great, and now Nolan delivers Inception, definitely one of the best films of the year, if not the best lol.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Aug, '10, 21:48

Inception was good, but not sure you had to be THAT intelligent to understand it.

I enjoyed it, it kept me interested, but really, it was because of the reasonable acting, reasonable storyline, and jumps in the storyline to keep one interested.

I don't think it "plunged into the deepest parts of the characters minds", you just had to watch it to sort it out.

If you want clever movies, watch Fight Club, 21 Grams, a couple of the early Guy Ritchie movies that have sub-plots and jump around which keeps you in your seats.

Still high on this years list of movies, but is that because of it being good or the rest being dross?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 2nd Aug, '10, 09:32

Fat Bob wrote:
Still high on this years list of movies, but is that because of it being good or the rest being dross?
Harry will be along soon FB.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Aug, '10, 15:13

Not soon enough!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 12th Aug, '10, 20:18

Fat Bob wrote:Inception was good, but not sure you had to be THAT intelligent to understand it.

I enjoyed it, it kept me interested, but really, it was because of the reasonable acting, reasonable storyline, and jumps in the storyline to keep one interested.

I don't think it "plunged into the deepest parts of the characters minds", you just had to watch it to sort it out.

If you want clever movies, watch Fight Club, 21 Grams, a couple of the early Guy Ritchie movies that have sub-plots and jump around which keeps you in your seats.

I loved the film, it was well written and fun to watch. You certainly dont have to be intelligent to watch it - but there does seem to be a surplus of dumbasses who couldnt understand what was happening.

Fight club is sensational - as are the other films you mention - especially Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels... the sequences in that were legendary... the going into a gun fight with zorba the greek and lots of guns, gun fire and dead gangsters everywhere. Oh beating up the traffic warden was a nice touch.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 12th Aug, '10, 20:23

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 23rd Jul, '12, 09:13

finally got around to getting 10minutes past the introduction scenes of the DVD of this had for ages

I just can't get into it. Liking the story and cinematorgraphy etc, have no problem with the idea of it and took ages to put finger on what was wrong with it. It's the actors - Di Caprio is overacting, the girl seems quite natural, but there is absolutely no chemistry between ANY of them at all, not even the romance bits with Cottilard. Like they just showed up to do their lines to get the cheque. And the guy who hired them tagging along for the ride to keep eye on them - pointless in any scene so far And think there might also be something wrong with the editing - which overall suggests a directing problem??

Something wrong with the lead too - thinking would have been better by a lesser know Clive Owen type who can get a bit more down and dirty - I'd say Clive Owen, but he never really seems to work or gel in American films I've seen him - thought quite liked that bank job one but he wasn't the main guy to carry it.

Shame, had hoped to like this one. (And yes, know it's a way old release) was scanning comments agree those older flicks Fight Club, 21 Grams etc much better.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 24th Jul, '12, 17:52

Joseph27 wrote:
Excellent film. But inception, gave up half way through. Memento was good though.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.