I Love You Philip Morris

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

I Love You Philip Morris

Post by Joseph27 » 8th Oct, '10, 16:43

I took myself to watch ‘I love you Philip Morris’ on Wednesday and though reviews have varied from standing ovations to hateful homophobic nonsense, I just really didn’t like the movie on any level. Given that this film centres around alternative lifestyles, I wont use the label immoral as it is heavily loaded; I will suffice with labelling Jim Carrey's character as a fraudster and a cheat. His fall from grace – from the wife and daughter to prison inmate tour guide paid for with sexual favors felt rushed and quite silly and had no character development – though I do admit to laughing at his tour of the prison yard.

I couldn’t connect with either character, I felt neither sympathy nor any inkling of likeability; just disdain. Basically this feels like a gay “Catch Me If You Can” without the relationship depth of Dicaprio and Hanks. “I Love You Philip Morris’ could have been a much better firm – I was left with a bad taste in my mouth though possibly not as bad as Jim Carrey’s cellmate.
Last edited by Joseph27 on 8th Oct, '10, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."