The American

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

The American

Post by Joseph27 » 18th Oct, '10, 13:22

I ventured down to the sea of debauchery that is ballestier to watch one of my favorite actors weave his craft. Clooney is a star – he just looks like he was pulled straight from Hollywood’s heyday and when cast as an assassin, it became an instant must see on my list. (it even edged out Piranha’s 3D [smilie=groovy.gif] ).

After the film a local Chinese guy sitting in the cinema a few rows back came up to me and asked what it was about; though perhaps not an overly astute individual, his question got me to rethink the film. Clooney’s character is distant, detached and though the story is quite vague; this obfuscation seems intended to make an otherwise slow film draw us in. I never felt connected to the film and though the relationships developed are interesting, the film lacked. Imagine a boring version 'In Bruges' without the humor and with a lone assassin. There is some good fashioned full frontal nudity (which is the only factor behind it being R21) and seeing Violante Placido in such a context was not straining on the eye.

All in all – I would give it a 3. I have to wait to Wednesday to see Piranha’s 3D – now that I am looking forward to though I don't imagine it will deserve a 3 but I will probably like it a lot more
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: The American

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 18th Oct, '10, 13:25

Was George Clooney full-frontal? Was it in 3-D?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 18th Oct, '10, 13:27

LOL, let's go together!

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 18th Oct, '10, 17:00

I guess that would be a key selling point but alas sorry ladies - it was just that lady showing herself in all her glory - you do get to see Clooney's bum however its not in 3D :D

3D adult films is definitely the future - they are making more and more and its so sad not to be able to tell customers about it - we just have to stick with sports and crappy cartoons as selling points. My old shop in Aus had a Club X superstore next door which would have really helped generate sales.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 18th Oct, '10, 18:47

Joseph27 wrote:I guess that would be a key selling point but alas sorry ladies - it was just that lady showing herself in all her glory - you do get to see Clooney's bum however its not in 3D :D
Oh well. Probably a stunt bum. Bum double? :)
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 18th Oct, '10, 21:54

Fans of George we are, Mrs. S was not impressed with his bum.

Good movie though. Not a typical Hollywood cookie-cutter pace or approach. But I saw the ending pretty early on. Beautiful Italian scenery.

Oddly enough the lady sitting next to me, who, when laughing at something her friend said who was sitting behind us, snorted something into my hair, was an Italian.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 18th Oct, '10, 22:05

BTW J27, we also saw it in Ballestier Saturday. Didn't know the place was known for debauchery. But the cinema was damn hot.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 19th Oct, '10, 11:37

Sardonicus wrote:Fans of George we are, Mrs. S was not impressed with his bum.
There's nothing else for it. LVS and I will need to go SEVERAL times to see the bum and form a definitive opinion.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 19th Oct, '10, 12:06

Scrummy Mummy wrote:
Sardonicus wrote:Fans of George we are, Mrs. S was not impressed with his bum.
There's nothing else for it. LVS and I will need to go SEVERAL times to see the bum and form a definitive opinion.
Then the place will be known for debauchery.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 19th Oct, '10, 18:05

Sardonicus wrote:BTW J27, we also saw it in Ballestier Saturday. Didn't know the place was known for debauchery. But the cinema was damn hot.
Ballestier is the new Geylang - the best way to notice that is the rapid construction of cheap hourly hotels all along the strip. I saw it on Sunday and agree, the cinema was still hot...

Back to the film - I do feel that the italian hooker could have done with a brazillian. [smilie=groovy.gif]