Harry Potter (no spoilers)

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Harry Potter (no spoilers)

Post by Joseph27 » 19th Nov, '10, 10:11

Been to watch each of the Potter movies on release day - a bit of a fan really though havent touched a book yet. I have loved each of the movies and see them as part of a whole rather than their individual parts - in the same way I watched the 3 lord of the Rings - i would say the same about Star wars, empire and Jedi (wont mention the new ones or the fact that lucas is a cheap whore)

Anyway I digress - I loved the first part of this film and am very much looking forward to 2nd half next July. The story is great, the characters engaging and we have grown with them for 9 years, its been a great journey....
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Re: Harry Potter (no spoilers)

Post by cromasaig » 19th Nov, '10, 16:22

I know plenty of people who wouldn't be caught dead reading Harry Potter (I used to be one of them), but normally they wouldn't bother with the films either. Out of interest, what makes you not want to read the books?

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 19th Nov, '10, 16:47

Laziness... actually I will probably read them after i watch the last one. I find the reverse order preferable as I am yet to be satisfied with an adaption of anybook into film
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Nov, '10, 19:17

Saw it, loved it, but there again, what else would you think of me?

I know the story pretty well having read the book, so hardly any surprises for me, and I must admit, that was the right part of the book to stop.

I will of course have a whole day watching all of the movies one after the other. But I'll wait til the last one is out.

Oh, as for book to film adaptation, I think it was a pretty good one.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 22nd Nov, '10, 20:55

I think that's not a bad idea J27 - I haven't liked many film adaptions of books I've enjoyed. I quite liked the books, though I preferred the earlier ones out of the lot. And I didn't like the films anywhere near the books, and the Harry Potter kid never quite worked to my imagination, he was too short. I mainly only liked that version where they filmed at the Scottish castle.

Whereas films like Atonement, Thankyou for Smoking, High Fidelity all made me want to read the books (Altho I can't face Atonement still too sad)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 23rd Nov, '10, 20:44

I am devastated...well not quite, but nearly and just a little disappointed.

I have always gone to the HP movies with my son, and the two of us were really looking forward to these two. I had planned to go in a couple of weeks, after the initial hype dies down a bit but still able to see it on BIG screen etc. Dammit, my son's school took them to see it...so he has seen it without me. It just won't be the same.

He is keen to see it again, and I know that throughout the movie he will not utter a word to me about it all. All he has told me is that he really enjoyed it, and he agrees with FB that they stopped the movie at the right part of the book. I have trained him well.

All in all I think the HP series has kept to the books very well, it is a part of their appeal. Only one has been a little disappointing in its content, but looking back you can see why they cut the bits they did. There are not many films that can live up to what your imagination can deliver whilst reading a book, but some do a much better job than others.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous