13 Assassins

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

13 Assassins

Post by Joseph27 » 11th Jul, '11, 22:02

1 month of limbo has left me with time to relax, watch movies and exercise.... work will start next month [smilie=groovy.gif]

So today's movie was 13 assassins - DAMN SHIOK!!!!

Movies don't get much more violent than this, and villains are rarely this demented and evil. The plot pulls you in from the opening Hara Kiri scene and builds so strongly to a climatic battle on the tail end of the Tokugawa period. This film is epic and is a testament to director Takeshi Miike. Four and a half stars.
Last edited by Joseph27 on 12th Jul, '11, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: 13 Assassins

Post by Morrolan » 12th Jul, '11, 14:41

hara kiri...

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 12th Jul, '11, 16:36

I liked the movie a lot. The leader of the assassins and the antagonist (plus his chief guard dog) died too easily and too quickly though. I would have liked a more grunty-grisly-bloody climactic sword fight scene.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 12th Jul, '11, 17:30

You've been watching too many Hollywood movies, Nev! You would probably also want the bad guy to almost beat the good guy and then, instead of finishing him off with a flick of his trigger finger or sword blade, delaying with lines like "I've waited for this a long time. And...now...you...die!" giving the good guy just enough time to grab that flamethrower that was just out of reach, or pull the handle that drops a ton of bricks on the bad guy.

I also want to see this movie. I like movies like this. "The Hidden Blade" is another good Edo period movie. There are lots.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 12th Jul, '11, 17:40

The only thing I cant understand is why its only on at Lido at a small cinema and every session is sold out.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 12th Jul, '11, 20:43

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a dramatic climax :D

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 12th Jul, '11, 21:02

nev wrote:What can I say, I'm a sucker for a dramatic climax :D
[smilie=bowdown.gif]
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.