What are you reading?

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

What are you reading?

Post by canuck » 6th Jan, '12, 19:32

I know we have these discussions off and on, and now that i am reading again with kindle because finally a book isn't 17-20 some odd dollars, but what i find is that i am stymied about what to read....

I have fallen back on old authors who do light brain free reading which is enjoyable but much the same of the same. Anne Perry, Marion Zimmer Bradley, i have bought a couple of books from some online suggestions only to be a bit disappointed, one was an oprah recommendation, bleh, so far anyway....will persevere. The 13th tale.
I like writing that flows and stories that move, epic sagas i suppose.. Enjoyed the firebrand, mist of avalon... Lord of the rings.. The whole jean m auel kept me going way back when....

But so...

Have you picked up something recently that kept you turning the pages?

I miss bookshops where you can read the first chapter to get a feel for the writing,it'S not the same when you have to wait for look inside to download and faces with a blurry little page, an how i miss the smell of pages....

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Re: What are you reading?

Post by expat yorkshire » 6th Jan, '12, 21:09

Stephen leather - The basement ( short story) ...a bargain at 99c

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Post by Monkey Hanger » 7th Jan, '12, 00:45

I read the first Auel book in 84 or so and loved it. sadly the sequels got worse and worse IMO.

Have you tried David Eddings Belgariad or Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Chronicles?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Jan, '12, 08:37

Read a few Stephen Leather books, mainly the Spider Shepard books. First one or two are OK, and kindle price of 99p makes it "throw awayable" but entertaining nonetheless.

Just read....well, not sure....ok, found it: The Chosen One by Sam Bourne. Ho hum. Filed the time. Political thriller. Didn't know it was considering how much of a waste of money US politics is all about.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Addadude
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Totally underwhelmed

Post by Addadude » 8th Jan, '12, 01:12

Currently reading the Steve Jobs biography, What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz, Leviathon Awakes by James Corey and The Departure by Neal Asher. (I clearly suffer from ADHD). Le Guin's Earthsea books are great. The Belgariad series by Eddings is good too and if you like these kind of fantasy books, Raymond Fiest's Midkemia series is great. I also highly recommend Lev Grossman's The Magicians and The Magician King.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Jan, '12, 10:57

Fantasy: Belgariad series was good, but don't bother with the Mallorean or his others. Also a proponent for Raymond Fiest Magician. George R.R. Martin- A Song of Ice of Fire series (And thanks Add'de and MH for the reference for Lev Grossman, and Ursula Leguin was looking for a new fantasy.)

Light reading: Kerry Greenwood - I love the Phrynee Fisher series (~14 if them, and I haven't got bored yet). Don't mind her other series Corninna Chapman. Also Janet Evanovich was good, but in her case by book 10 she got repetitive and her characters didn't evolve, however fun for a while. I also quite enjoyed 'A Few Right Thinking Men', Sugari Gentill.

For harder core police: author Jo Nesbo, pretty sure it starts with 'Redeemer' (check the sequence on Wiki first, they only started translating from 'The Snowman', so I missed the first one and ended up at the second) I can't put them down and have had to knock them over in 2 days and do nothing else.

About to start 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' - Paul Torday. This has huge # good reviews. Bookshop lady informed me the next couple by Torday not too flash, but the subsequent novels have picked up to very good again (2nd book blues or something)

Also consider these:
- 'The Curious Incident of the Dong in the Night Time', Mark Haddon
- 'Vernon God Little', 'Lights out in Wonderland', DBC Pierre
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 8th Jan, '12, 16:20

I'm reading book 2 of Shamini Flint's (who lives in Singapore BTW) Inspector Singh Investigates series, "a Bali conspiracy most foul". Looking forward to book 3, "Singapore school of villainy" :D

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 8th Jan, '12, 17:03

The Jobs book, Branson's autobio, and about 6 business-related books I'd just as well not bother mentioning.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 8th Jan, '12, 18:01

A dong in the night....that does sound scary!

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 8th Jan, '12, 19:13

Thanks for replies, SM, lol i must admit i didn't notice that, but i did read the one about the dog already... :D

Have got the leather guy, but cost me 2.99..

Thank you all for recommendations,, also just downloaded The house of silk, A. horowitz.. Will keep you posted :) should keep me busy for a while but will refer back here
Last edited by canuck on 8th Jan, '12, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Jan, '12, 19:23

mmmm, wouldn't mind looking for a dong in the night myself, might have been a Fruedian typo there...
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 8th Jan, '12, 21:24

Monkey Hanger wrote:I read the first Auel book in 84 or so and loved it. sadly the sequels got worse and worse IMO.

Have you tried David Eddings Belgariad or Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Chronicles?
I must admit the first two were page turners but the third and fourth may as well been Mills and Boon, bleh...

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 9th Jan, '12, 13:00

Just finished 11th Hour, the last book in the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. Not bad but the Alex Cross series is better.

Started a new series, Private, also by James Patterson. About halfway through and I'm struggling to finish it. Not very interesting, and the characters are not very likeable.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 9th Jan, '12, 13:38

Keep them coming , looking for some new stuff.

Currently reading Tony Blair's autobiography, A Journey.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 9th Jan, '12, 13:38

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, all 1187 pages of it. Been reading it for a month now and am half way through!
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 9th Jan, '12, 19:55

Another of Follett's doorstoppers The Fall of Giants was a good read too. Probably better on Kindle as it weighs about two stone!

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 9th Jan, '12, 20:00

Just finished a hilarious book called 'How To Be a Woman' by The Times columnist Caitlin Moran and have started an easy read by John Wood 'Leaving Microsoft to Change the World' ...
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 10th Jan, '12, 03:15

Rereading Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. It may have been written for children, but it's superb.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Jan, '12, 07:28

daffodil wrote:Keep them coming , looking for some new stuff.

Currently reading Tony Blair's autobiography, A Journey.
Ah! So you're one of the people helping his company turn over millions of pounds whilst paying little tax!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 10th Jan, '12, 12:55

Indeed, I'm sure he learned a lot from the Tories during his time in parliament.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 12th Jan, '12, 09:04

Fyn has been enjoying the thrillers by Tess Gerritsen (the TV series Rizzoli and Isles is loosely based on them).

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 16th Mar, '12, 17:25

Picked up these three a few weeks ago – highly recommend em all.

Last Man in Tower by Aravind Adiga. Excellent tale of one’s man stand against the non-stop development of modern day Mumbai. Good stuff by the former Booker winner.

Pure by Andrew Miller. Paris and the last years of the ancien regime. A young engineer is tasked with the destruction of Les Innocents church and cemetery. Winner of this year’s UK Costa award. Loved it! Fans of Patrick Sueskind’s Perfume may enjoy this one too.

Before I go to sleep by SJ Watson. “Memories define us. So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?” So starts the blurb of this brilliantly gripping novel. Recent winner of the UK’s Crime Thriller of the Year award but don’t be put off if you don’t normally fancy that genre, this is a fab psychological thriller. A woman’s world starts anew every single day but who is she and who can she trust? Don’t ask me coz I’m only half way through! Fab, fab book. Apparently Ridley Scott’s picked up the film rights. Memento mkII ??

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 16th Mar, '12, 18:12

Just finished "Before I go to sleep".

Immensely enjoyable read. Felt a bit rushed at the end (not going to reveal the outcome !) but maybe that's because I wanted it to last longer !

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 16th Mar, '12, 18:41

The Jobs bio was good, the Branson auto bio started ok but wore weary towards the end.

Now reading one of Shatner's books, not his newest, just the kind of thing I like to read before bed. And Further Adventures of a Grumpy Rock Star by Rick Wakeman, couldn't find the first book here.

I have so many non-fictions I want to read but anything remotely associated with work or management or leadership gets the mind racing and causes insomnia.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Monkey Hanger » 16th Mar, '12, 18:47

daffodil wrote:Just finished "Before I go to sleep".

Immensely enjoyable read. Felt a bit rushed at the end (not going to reveal the outcome !) but maybe that's because I wanted it to last longer !
Oh spooky! :o I know what you mean, I don't want it to end so am reading very very s l o w l y.