What are you reading?

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Mar, '12, 20:26

Day by Day Armaggedon, followed by Beyond Exile: Day by Day Armaggedon.

A novel method of writing zombie apocalypse, done as a dairy by a air force officer. Interesting slant, though doubt you'll all enjoy the subject!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 19th Mar, '12, 07:35

diary....

reading Michael Robotham at moment, didn't like his second one too much, but onto 4th of his sequence of writing.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 19th Mar, '12, 17:06

You never know, he might be writing it on milk cartons or cow hides!:P
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 20th Mar, '12, 06:33

http://www.pameladruckerman.com/

Interesting insights - a little bit of generalizing but then again generalizing exists for a reason.... (Ricky Gervais in Family Guy S10E14 - 'Ah Asian women drivers - (Jo responds not all asian women are bad drivers) - Ricky responds 'yeah and not all Arabs are terrorists but they are"....
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 7th Apr, '12, 17:14

Currently reading a book of Stephen King after I haven't read anything of him for probably 20 years (I could read at the age of 2 already ;) ) - 11.22.63 which is about a guy who travels back in time to the late 50s and sets out to prevent the assassination of JFK. Slow start but now getting better - haven't finished it yet.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 9th Apr, '12, 08:53

i'm reading the Gabriel's Redemption series electronically. military space opera in the old tradition.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 9th Apr, '12, 09:24

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal, by Jeanette Winterson. Autobiographical, by the writer of the equally autobiographical Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit.

My GBF rang me late one night to tell me I MUST read it; he always has a few books on the go but this one really got to him. It's easy to see why - I'm just past half way through and I've highlighted quite a few paragraphs as I can really identify with them. Maybe it's the familiar era and the North of England connection (for both of us). Maybe the fucked-up-ness.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 9th Apr, '12, 13:17

Reading the 4th Eragon book. I enjoyed the first 3, so the fourth is currently on my Kindle.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 12th Apr, '12, 11:17

hugely disappointed with the 4th one, I put it down after getting about quarter thru, totally bored with it, and haven't picked it up since. shame, also really enjoyed first 3. let me know if it is worth picking up again if you get more than half way through.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 12th Apr, '12, 12:12

i already got bored reading the first one. a shallow rip off from other, much better, books in the genre.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 12th Apr, '12, 12:22

Just started...
Outliers: The Story of Success is a non-fiction book written by Malcolm Gladwell and published by Little, Brown and Company on November 18, 2008. In Outliers, Gladwell examines the factors that contribute to high levels of success. To support his thesis, he examines the causes of why the majority of Canadian ice hockey players are born in the first few months of the calendar year, how Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates achieved his extreme wealth, how The Beatles became one of the most successful musical acts in human history, how cultural differences play a large part in perceived intelligence and rational decision making, and how two people with exceptional intelligence, Christopher Langan and J. Robert Oppenheimer, end up with such vastly different fortunes. Throughout the publication, Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to success in any field is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing a specific task for a total of around 10,000 hours.

Not my usual read but hoping to enjoy it
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Apr, '12, 13:04

Tas wrote:hugely disappointed with the 4th one, I put it down after getting about quarter thru, totally bored with it, and haven't picked it up since. shame, also really enjoyed first 3. let me know if it is worth picking up again if you get more than half way through.
The kindle says I'm half way through - I'm liking it indeed.

Will try the Game of Thrones again afterwards, unless something else grabs my attention!

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 12th Apr, '12, 13:18

Game of Thrones is great. There's a couple books in there that were a bit of a miss relative to the first book, but were still better than the average example of the genre. the 5th one got a bit of a weak review through amazon, but as I was waiting for the paper back to come out, I had been a long time between books so have been fine with the approach so far.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 12th Apr, '12, 15:38

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Actually re-reading it , one of my all-time favourite novels. Spurred on by watching the movie adaptation the other week which was ok though I thought Keira Knightly totally miscast. Still managed to get me weeping at the end.

Love the elegant, restrained style of Ishiguro (as with Remains of The Day) - treats his audience like intelligent people who don't need to have everything super laid out for them !
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Apr, '12, 16:14

So no pictures then?

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 12th Apr, '12, 18:11

Only those in my head.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Apr, '12, 20:00

I'm not sure anyone wants to go there!

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 12th Apr, '12, 20:05

Just started reading the first Harry Potter book with the kids [smilie=groovy.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Apr, '12, 22:29

:fblike:

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 12th Apr, '12, 23:00

slinky wrote:Just started reading the first Harry Potter book with the kids [smilie=groovy.gif]
JK Rowling's first adult novel, The Casual Vacancy, is out later this year. Will no doubt sell, if not read, well.