Hunger Games

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Hunger Games

Post by Joseph27 » 26th Mar, '12, 14:40

Couldn't resist myself after hearing my 13 year old nieces jumping up and down about the books and film so I took myself to see it this morning. LOVED IT.

I have heard some scathing reviews however and I know Margaret and David from the Movie show gave it a big thumbs down - all up but, Rotten Tomatoes has it at 85% and given its huge weekend debut, it looks set to be a big trilogy. I would say that in future - I will only reference Margaret and David if I want to punish myself with another friggen Jane Austin type film - otherwise they are off the mark and showing their age.

The films subject isn't pleasant; watching a game where 24 adolescents have to kill one another until only 1 is left is not fun but for a 142 minutes, I was entertained and engrossed. The style of film making seems to juxtapose standard cinema making with an almost video game feel - I guess that would turn off 90 year old reviewers who would probably have to keep coordinating their hearing aids with their pace makers.

The construction of a violent, post apocalyptic futuristic society combines the worst excesses of reality TV with a 'Running Man' game show only the kids get to kill each other as punishment for their territories previous sins.

FB - it is worth the Gold Class treatment [smilie=yahoo.gif]
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Re: Hunger Games

Post by Duck » 26th Mar, '12, 17:16

I must get to the cinema and see this... Am hearing rave reviews from every angle!
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 27th Mar, '12, 15:17

Off to see it this weekend with my 15yo, the only reason we didn't go this weekend was a bout of gastro that hit the whole family.

I always watch M&D At the Movies but I know that I don't agree with their ratings and assessments all the time and go if I am interested. Having read the books for this one it is definitely on the list despite the really low ratings they gave it.

Then again I quite enjoyed the Twilight movies as well...I know, no accounting for tastes.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 27th Mar, '12, 15:36

Haven't read the books, though comparisons to Twilight seem to come up in reviews. I'll be giving the movie a go, sounds interesting.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 27th Mar, '12, 20:51

Think I'll give it a miss. Still haven't got over attempting to watch Battle Royale.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 28th Mar, '12, 08:36

I think the only comparisons that could be made to Twilight are that they are both aimed at a teen audience and both a series...not much else similar at all.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Mar, '12, 11:39

Must say, was ready to book the tickets until someone said "Twilight".

Will acquire it in a few months time.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 28th Mar, '12, 12:35

I hate the twighlight stuff, but gotta admit was pleased it was on one afternoon when stuck in China on a weekend, settled in with the standard room delivery Club Sandwich. Can happily say enjoyed all the fight scenes where the wolves transformed and some of the vampire fight scenes, choice of music/score was great.

Have ignored the reviews on this one and paid more attention to the general public commentary. You just need a good noisy action movie that has a slight bit of something to the plot sometimes, pure escapism. Pretty sure will actually get to the cinema for this one.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 28th Mar, '12, 12:36

I defer to your knowledge there Pinkie, still think it sounds like a good one in an otherwise uninspiring movie menu right now.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 28th Mar, '12, 15:43

If it is anything like the books it will be good. I repeat, nothing like Twilight!!! Why they are doing comparisons is beyond me.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 28th Mar, '12, 16:20

I did watch a movie a few months ago where there was a Russian Roulette game between multiple people. Was OK. Didn't go to the the cinema for that one either!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 28th Mar, '12, 17:16

FB - no comparison with Twilight in terms of quality - its aimed at a similar market but having watched a few of Twilight series there is no way I would watch at the cinema. Hunger games as a book may have been pitched at a teenage market, but as a film I think it has a more mature audience.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 29th Mar, '12, 01:22

I liked it, worth the Gold Class ticket. Not as violent as I expected, but not vegetarian-vampire-Twilighty.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 29th Mar, '12, 09:15

Just thought I would post this link if you wanted to know a bit more...5 facts about The Hunger Games if you haven't read the books.

http://screenrant.com/hunger-games-movi ... fi-160434/

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 29th Mar, '12, 10:11

nev wrote:I liked it, worth the Gold Class ticket. Not as violent as I expected, but not vegetarian-vampire-Twilighty.
Not enough blood and gore for you Nev? :P

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Mar, '12, 13:09

I've been persuded to go tonight. We'll see if I keep awake during the whole movie, if I do, it'll get a "thumbs up like" thing.

Poppy Appeal

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 29th Mar, '12, 16:16

daffodil wrote:
nev wrote:I liked it, worth the Gold Class ticket. Not as violent as I expected, but not vegetarian-vampire-Twilighty.
Not enough blood and gore for you Nev? :P
You know me so well :mrgreen:

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 29th Mar, '12, 16:35

[smilie=kiss.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Mar, '12, 00:45

Went. Ho hum. Kept on expecting Subzero, Dynamo and Buzzsaw to come out the shadows. Then it turned into a lurve movie.

There have been worse things I've spent money to watch, but the bits I was most interested in were the trailers for Battleship, The Avengers and GI Joe.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 2nd Apr, '12, 09:18

the movie tanked in the second week apparently, and they've now cancelled the sequels. yay. [smilie=bowdown.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Apr, '12, 10:24

There are sequels? I mean, the movie does it all there an then. I mean, if you want to class it as a B-grade (not so) horror movie, then yes, you could rehash the same thing again, but it wasn't.

Wrath of the Titans! Gotta go watch that!

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 2nd Apr, '12, 11:29

Morrolan wrote:the movie tanked in the second week apparently, and they've now cancelled the sequels. yay. [smilie=bowdown.gif]
It's based on 3 books and given that it smashed two new releases on the weekend, it would seem that parts 2 and 3 are a sure thing. Perhaps you read a April 1 gag.... I do admit to missing Buzz Saw.... 'he had to split".

Anyway - there are 2 parts of this story ultimately to go which collectively will make one extended story so as with any number of such trilogies - we have only seen the opening, I look forward to this world being torn apart. I loved the scene when Donald Sutherland was with her at the end, her face reminded me of a Medieval Princess on the rise against a King determined to hold onto this reign of power.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 2nd Apr, '12, 12:16

Saw it. It was ok, watchable. The "love story" part was painful but, then again, it was the worst part of the book too.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 3rd Apr, '12, 08:18

Joseph27 wrote:
Morrolan wrote:the movie tanked in the second week apparently, and they've now cancelled the sequels. yay. [smilie=bowdown.gif]
It's based on 3 books and given that it smashed two new releases on the weekend, it would seem that parts 2 and 3 are a sure thing. Perhaps you read a April 1 gag....
damn...