Prometheus

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Prometheus

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Jun, '12, 10:46

Went to see this last night, don't know what I was expecting with it being an Alien prequel, but I got something good.

I'm sure you can find the storyline somewhere on the web if you're most interested to find,but to me, the first two Alien movies were some of the best sci-fi I've ever seen, and this adds to the story (though continuity between the movies falls apart a bit - but so it does in most prequels.)

From me, 8 out of 10, worth going to Gold Class (or similar - there's a few around now) and worth buying the Bluray, as I'm sure I will get more out of the movie from subsequent viewings.

I also enjoyed the bottle of Toi Toi Pinot.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Prometheus

Post by Kooky » 11th Jun, '12, 11:23

That's the first positive review I think, written by somebody I actually know, that I've read. Most thought it was pants.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Jun, '12, 14:27

Well, I wasn't that impressed with it, somehow it just lacked something, not sure what, and (unusually for us) we all found huge holes to pick in it afterwards, and that is before entering into the Alien prequel stuff. (I loved the Alien movies too)

OK, I didn't hate it, but then perhaps I just enjoyed Idris Elba. ;)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Jun, '12, 14:28

I suppose it depends on what you are expecting. I have a very good ability to expect nothing and bye into almost any plot line.

If you're expecting an Alien movie: it's not. But the difference between Alien and Aliens was also bog to make them very different movies with the same characters.

You can pull the plot apart easily. It's a scifi movie, of course you can!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Jun, '12, 16:59

Sure, agree totally, but it wasn't that...and it wasn't the plot we were pulling apart it was the movie itself, there was just something missing that didn't quite make it somehow. It just didn't quite give any atmosphere or something...I don't know.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 12th Jun, '12, 08:59

I figured it was one for the special effects that looked quite compelling. If the story line isnt' just too mind numbing and the editing of timing of some sequences handled ok to keep my attention, then I'd be happy to put it in my to watch list.

(speaking of timing, watching Transformer III the other night, and it just went too long, the final fight scene was going forever and in end person watching with and I sort of simultaneously looked at each other and said God isn't this over yet, and started chatting and I realised later we'd missed the end)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Bender

Post by Bender » 12th Jun, '12, 16:53

The buildup here was that this movie was going to scare the crap outta me. Saw it yesterday (gold class, even), and it didn't. Nothing like Alien, which had some seriously good scares (well, it was a long time ago!).

I'd give it a 6/10, but only just, and not just because it wasn't scary - it just didn't "do" it for me on a number of levels. I don't think I'll be buying it on disc.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th Jun, '12, 19:52

Bender wrote:The buildup here was that this movie was going to scare the crap outta me. Saw it yesterday (gold class, even), and it didn't. Nothing like Alien, which had some seriously good scares (well, it was a long time ago!).

I'd give it a 6/10, but only just, and not just because it wasn't scary - it just didn't "do" it for me on a number of levels. I don't think I'll be buying it on disc.
:fblike: Spot on Bender, and Tas, I didn't think much of the special effects either, I didn't feel part of it, just like I was sitting in a cinema watching a movie...

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 12th Nov, '12, 09:27

Got this on DVD Blueray last night from the machine

Had potential but the WORST ACTING EVER. OMG I tried to get into it, it was terrible. The only role worth watching was the android. And WTF scientist pulls off their helmets on a planet where they have no idea of what virus and bacteria present, handle samples etc etc etc then move to a scene back on the ship where they THEN go through a decontamination process of the sample and stick their little white masks over the face - utter ridiculous sequence. I don't expect the scientist types to act all brainiac but nor should they have the emotional maturity of 12yr old in shorts with skateboards either. Complete disappointment , had put on with an open mind expecting to enjoy on some level - actaully I did like the opening scene visual shots and sequence a lot and started on a good note...

I do want to know know what happened to the idiot guy after the android slipped him that thing in the champagne, but not enough to keep watching - switched off and went to bed, feel free to tell me with a spoiler tag.

A sad to say big miss, 3/10.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 12th Nov, '12, 11:24

would tend to agree with Tas. i rented it the other day and we watched it and the same as was said before: wasn't scary at all, why do scientists act like complete fools when it comes to biohazards, and who came up with the idea that an android would shine a flashlight at a light driven hologram to get a better view?