Rock of Ages

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Rock of Ages

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Sep, '12, 16:20

I can see it. Oh well...
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 12th Sep, '12, 21:22

I'm glad you mentioned that, my Esplanade newsletters seem to have stopped and I didn't' know he was coming. Saw him last time he was here.
Spike wrote:If you like rock/blues guitar heroes, go and see Joe Bonamasa at the Esplanade on Monday.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 12th Sep, '12, 21:39

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I can see it. Oh well...
Ok, I can see it now. Interesting :?
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 29th Sep, '12, 23:27

If you grew up in the 80's in the US, this movie makes at least a little bit of sense. As with Lili, I thought there were a few crack up moments in this, but, as Lili told me, a masterpiece, it is not :lol: But, seriously, the scene between Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand and the song 'I Can't Fight this Feeling' is fantastic, if only because you know what's coming before the first word is sung [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Ah, maybe it's "cultural" ;)

Edit: typos & stuff

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 19th Nov, '12, 14:01

I'm one that can normally sit through crap movies without too much trouble.

Rock of Ages really tested me. The movie did play out through to the end but I will admit I fell asleep about halfway through it.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 19th Nov, '12, 14:38

So - the Brits (i.e., me) and Aussies couldn't bear it, and the Americans "got" it. Different ideas of what's funny and what's just not, then :D

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Nov, '12, 14:58

Though while I knew the songs, I'm sure if they were singing Aussie 80s classics then I would have enjoyed it a lot more. But still would have felt like a bad film adaptation of Glee

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 19th Nov, '12, 15:19

I knew all the music, I was fine with score list, part of my 80's radio and school 'discos' and various movie soundtracks. I just hated the way it was done, it needed more dirt too it not gleeification. In fact it didn't need to be dirtier, just more rawness. And really Tom Cruise was just awful, it' like his eyes belong to a cold fish. The leads were just awful, or their direction was terrible. The only decent second of footage were Alec Bawdin. Personally it left me having more appreciation for Mamma Mia hahahah :D
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 19th Nov, '12, 15:46

Kooky wrote:So - the Brits (i.e., me) and Aussies couldn't bear it, and the Americans "got" it. Different ideas of what's funny and what's just not, then :D
yes, but as a Canadian who grew up in the "hairy" 80s rock n roll era.. I can not even bring myself to watch it, the commercials are painful enough, but then being in Oz in the 90s and reliving their 80s party nights hurt my head too...

Very different musical cultures ( and by no means an exhaustive list)

80s UK/Oz seems to be Abba, RIck Astley, Culture Club, The Human League, The Cure, The Police, Soft Cell
UK lists

80s Canada Bon Jovi, Corey Hart, Kim Mitchell, Tom Cochrane, Blue Rodeo, Jeff Heley, Twisted Sister, Headpins, Styx, The Police, Van Halen
Canadian list

80s US, The Police, Twisted Sister, Bon Jovi, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Joan Jet, U2, Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, Van Halen, ZZ Top
tops in the US

and Tom Cruise is the devil ;)

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 19th Nov, '12, 16:34

Hmmm, according to those lists I am way more American than UK, and I have never heard of half of those on the Canadian lists...but then we had our very own subculture going back then...with INXS, Cold Chisel, The Church, Crowded House, Hoodoo Gurus to name a few.

Not sure I could make it through Rock of Ages either...the ads looked bad enough.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 19th Nov, '12, 16:42

Kooky wrote:So - the Brits (i.e., me) and Aussies couldn't bear it, and the Americans "got" it. Different ideas of what's funny and what's just not, then :D
Oh well, judging from the feedback on this site alone, it looks like it doesn't translate outside of a 1980s American experience. Nice subjective use of the word "just" though... :P
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 19th Nov, '12, 16:56

And again, I was pretty much in a parallel 80s UK, but then I think you were/are pretty alternative too, Lili?

("just" being subjective as in, generally we just don't find that kind of thing funny, it seems)

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 19th Nov, '12, 17:26

All of what PP said. But I remember The Smiths, Tracy Chapmen, Roxette :), Violent Femmes, The Pogues...

That movie hardly defined a generation of music... Let alone in Australia. Mayne it just your friends Canuck
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 19th Nov, '12, 18:10

Pinklepurr wrote:Hmmm, according to those lists I am way more American than UK, and I have never heard of half of those on the Canadian lists...but then we had our very own subculture going back then...with INXS, Cold Chisel, The Church, Crowded House, Hoodoo Gurus to name a few.

Not sure I could make it through Rock of Ages either...the ads looked bad enough.
Yes Canadian radio has laws about percentage of local content..

Must say I love my Canadian music and turned a few people on to it... With a good mix of the UK and US stuff. I did love seeing INXS and Crowded House when I was in Sydney waaaaaaay back when they played in the park. Excellent...

Tas: I think it is aimed at Americans who were teenagers in the late 80s. as K and Lili say... not Aussies or Brits...

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 19th Nov, '12, 19:27

Pinklepurr wrote: INXS, Cold Chisel, The Church, Crowded House, Hoodoo Gurus to name a few.
Heh. Throw in mental as anything, icehouse, mondo rock, uncanny Xmen, choirboys, rose tattoo, and the angels and you've pretty much got my current Aussie playlist.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 20th Nov, '12, 17:11

baloo wrote:
Pinklepurr wrote: INXS, Cold Chisel, The Church, Crowded House, Hoodoo Gurus to name a few.
Heh. Throw in mental as anything, icehouse, mondo rock, uncanny Xmen, choirboys, rose tattoo, and the angels and you've pretty much got my current Aussie playlist.
Sign of old age ya know?