Safe House

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Safe House

Post by Tas » 25th Jul, '12, 21:16

New release DVD. Just watched, really enjoyed. Denzel Washington still good, and Ryan Reynolds surprisingly good to. Chemistry much better in this one. Fairly straight forward plot, no Tinker Taylor Spy. But the action sequences very satisfying.

Had a trailer for Battleship, sadly, liked look of it haha, but have no idea where that would go. Will probably check out when released, can't resist a bit of Liam Neeson, he really is surprisingly better the older he gets with action orientated flicks, not the usual direction for improvement in the older actors.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: Safe House

Post by Pinklepurr » 26th Jul, '12, 09:56

Well I wouldn't watch Battleship if you want to see Liam Neeson, he might make it on to the cover and posters but it was a very small part he had in it. Fun movie to watch if you don't want to get into the implausible plot lines etc...
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 26th Jul, '12, 10:21

Safe House was not bad, but not great either. Good acting by both lead characters, I agree. I just wish the movie was a bit more exciting instead of just plodding along.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Jul, '12, 10:25

I did wonder about this one when it was on at the movies, but as most of my movie nights cost >$100, then didn't go and see. Will watch instead when I get bored with dwarf throwing.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 26th Jul, '12, 10:46

Oh I did DVD for $3.50 out of the wall hire machine, watched on the 42", wouldn't be investing in big cinema for it. More just for saying thought it's a good pick up if on the right price side of thing and you're selecting for a night in off a list. Funny, I thought this one was paced ok, though plot not that overwhelming, got into far more easily than Contraband which I switched off the other week. I love that hole in the wall DVD machine near my house!!!!

Re: Battleship. PP yeah I just like the odd crash bang movie with well timed scenes, the transporter element of that space ship thing got me. I have a real boy side to me with action flicks, happily balanced by my Steel Magnolia chicks side. Thought the fit guy looked watchable so don't need all Liam, but if you say it is fun enough PP, will happily select on release.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 26th Jul, '12, 15:38

Tas, I may steal that line to use with Mr PP...it describes my taste in movies as well, and yes the other guy(s) is quite watchable, but er, don't expect the best story line or acting to go with it. Rihanna was better than I thought though.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 26th Jul, '12, 16:21

Pinklepurr wrote:Tas, I may steal that line to use with Mr PP...it describes my taste in movies as well, and yes the other guy(s) is quite watchable, but er, don't expect the best story line or acting to go with it. Rihanna was better than I thought though.
I only watched it to gawk at the beautiful Alexander Skarsgard [smilie=kiss.gif] ... The movie itself was a standard action fantasy flick, quite watchable in the way Transformers was watchable.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 30th Jul, '12, 08:41

That short review was quite accurate. My main enjoyment from the film was the performances, thought Ryan Reynolds played it quite well and was interested to see the shift from earlier comedic roles, plus I quite liked the car chase scene. Agree it was a thinly written plot. Horses for courses, it worked for me on the night, probably mistake to recommend, but was a lot better than a lot of the other DVDs had watched recently and TV at the time is REALLY bad.