Top Actors

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Top Actors

Post by Tas » 17th Aug, '12, 10:01

So it seems the week for random questions out of the blue, so let the theme continue, after all it is Friday.

Can be phrased a couple ways. Who is your favourite actor, or who do you think is an actor at the top of the game.

ME: Was watching Robert DeNiro in something last night, and I still think he is both at the top of his game and a favourite. He can play down right frightening and also very funny (there is only one reason why those Focker movies work from my view). Every time I watch him I believe the role, and don't get distracted by 'oh I'm watching RD' (as a contrast find Brad Pitt too distracting from the actual role) and he can both steal a scene or give a bit of oomphh where needed to the other actors.

A close follow on in respect is Meryl Streep, but she's done more terrible movies than Deniro that it makes it harder to put up there. And I think Glen Close is pretty good calibre too, she crosses Movies and TV very well and love her in a scary role.

Be good to cast a wider net than those 3.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Top Actors

Post by slinky » 17th Aug, '12, 11:19

I like Kevin Spacey. Seems like whatever he is in, he is believable and real.

I often think of John Cusack as a favorite too. Some of his stuff is pretty quirky, which can be good in its own way, but movies like 'Pushing Tin', 'High Fidelity,' and even 'Gross Pointe Blank' are good largely because of him, I think.

I'll have to think more on women, but I agree on both Meryl Streep and Glen Close - both have done some good stuff.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 17th Aug, '12, 13:25

Pacino and Nicholson...

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Post by Monkey Hanger » 17th Aug, '12, 15:34

William Hurt and Emily Watson

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 17th Aug, '12, 17:47

Viggo Mortensen, not just the lord of the rings, but really Iiked him in Hidalgo.

Liam Neeson

Judi dench. Always fantastic! And Helen Murin, we watched the new Arthur movie, everyone was rubbish except her...
Meryl streep was fantastic in The Iron Lady, but she has annoyed me in other movies..

Another random, is it just me or are these new sitcoms plebs totally bad actors? New girl is painful, happy endings is equally of not doubly painful...

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 17th Aug, '12, 18:10

Ooh, Judi Dench and Helen Mirren - good ones!

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 17th Aug, '12, 18:31

All good suggestions. I want to like Al Pacino, but evrything seen him in feels samish to me.
Agree Viggo always seems to absorb the role. William Hurt was fab in something think called Mr Smith(?) A murder flick, then saw him other week in DVD, playing architect with him and wife in real middle age crisis, name eludes me, older comedyish. Emily Blunt, enjoyed her in anything seen her in so far, even that Prada one.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 17th Aug, '12, 18:44

Alan Rickman, although have to say disliked him in potter

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 17th Aug, '12, 18:57

slinky wrote:Ooh, Judi Dench and Helen Mirren - good ones!

Yep, my two faves for sure.

Canuck you didn't like Alan Rickman as Snape? Wow, he made it for me. I never really noticed him before, a good sign really as he is such a good character actor.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 17th Aug, '12, 19:53

PP: nah, i like him better in Die hard and robin hood, he made that movie worth watching.
And he was in dogma.... I like him sarcastic and cocky, snape was a bit greasy ;)

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 17th Aug, '12, 22:10

Max Headroom!
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 18th Aug, '12, 21:11