The Impossble

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

The Impossble

Post by expat yorkshire » 20th Jan, '13, 15:45

Excellent

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: The Impossble

Post by baloo » 20th Jan, '13, 15:46

Really ? I thought it was ok but nothing too specials. I'd like to read the book if there is one as I can only assume the movie left out a heap of the story line and detail.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 20th Jan, '13, 15:54

I thought the acting of the boy who played Lucas was superb

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 20th Jan, '13, 15:58

yeah, he was very good.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 3rd Feb, '13, 18:23

Very good, but not Oscar-worthy.

I came out of the cinema a little bit jittery - was not involved in the tsunami in any way but I guess for all of us living in the region it was hard not to be affected. We went to Phuket not long after (decided to spend our tourist dollar there) and saw the mess they were still in, too.

Brought it back to us where we were when we heard about it - promenading up the East Coast when a text came in from Minty. Didn't really understand the magnitude at the time. Where were you?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 3rd Feb, '13, 23:05

Wakeboarding I think. I remember hearing something on the radio on the way back about an earthquake/tsunami and that about 4 people had been killed. How wrong they were

I had been in Phuket the weekend before, and do remember being very struck by a photograph of a car wrapped around Starbucks in pretty much the same spot that I had been sitting early morning exactly a week earlier (yes,yes I went to Starbucks... )
We are the TPF

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 4th Feb, '13, 03:07

We went to Phuket about a year after and were impressed how much progress they had made in cleaning up. You could not even tell anything had happened.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 4th Feb, '13, 13:03

I've been thinking about going to see it but just can't make up my mind about it. We were flying out of Singapore that day and heard it on the news, not realising how huge it was until we arrived in Melbourne. One of the girls who worked with Mr PP was lost in it. She had only been here for a couple of months, went to Thailand for her first Asian Christmas. :(
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 4th Feb, '13, 17:37

Was in Singapore, just back from Christmas dinner with relatives who were living here at the time.

They were to leave the next day for Columbo, Sri Lanka. I saw the reports, then went to their place to watch the news develop, ended up staying there most of the day. I convinced them to cancel their trip, though they probably wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

Two weeks later I was in Phuket with some mates, and we traveled to some of the hardest hit areas, it was a right mess. Was interviewed at Phuket Airport by the BBC - said we were doing our part by pumping money back into the local economy. It wasn't clear how we could help. My mates left and I stayed on a bit longer.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 4th Feb, '13, 19:51

In Sydney, staying with friends in Bexley, prepping for the Boxing Day BBQ bash. Due to overindulgence on Christmas Day, hadn't seen the news until got a text from FM.

Truly awful for all involved.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 26th Feb, '13, 11:03

Eventually made up my mind and went to see this today. It was good (could have done without some of the effects bits etc) but it did leave me feeling a bit emotionally drained, partly from the film and partly from the memories it brought back and the sheer enormity of the event itself. Oh, and yes, the boy who played Lucas was really excellent.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous