The Act of Killing

Movies Reviews NOTE: May Contain Spoilers !

Moderator: Fuzz

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

The Act of Killing

Post by Joseph27 » 5th Jun, '13, 07:40

This is a frightening film - all too often films dealing with such tragedies only focus on the victims… seeing and hearing the victims accounts are often over board and reveal only their historical narrative thus robbing us of a complete 360 degree overview. This film doesn’t do this – this film is a confronting look into the eyes of our relatives, of our friends and indeed a reflection of ourselves.

We don’t know how many people died in the post Sept 30 movement(this is the date of the PKI execution of the senior members of the military) – there are so many accounts and indeed guesses however complete villages were wiped out, families like mine were simply hacked to death – including 6 year and 8 girls. Religious groups like NU had a lot of blood on their hands and Abdul Rahman Wahid recognized this and apologized previously when he became President. When more than a million people die so easily – you can’t simply forget.

This film is remarkable in helping see this period of uncivilised and state sanctioned murder from the perspective of those who helped carry out the killings… The term cognitive dissonance again springs to mind – how can you pray and follow a religion and yet celebrate the deaths of so many at your hands? Maybe that is a trait to be admired? The ability to totally discount your own flaws and blindly follow some religious dogmas in pursuit of ever lasting happiness and reward in heaven.

Perhaps ghost stories are so popular in Indonesia, because there are so many skeletons in the cupboard; ghosts usually reflect a haunting from the past – a life interrupted and a soul not at peace with itself. Every place on this planet has ghosts (just to make sure I don’t lose you – I am not being literal) – it just seems that Indonesia has a disproportionate amount. A national shame hidden and forgotten but always there.

Whilst I am not religious – I can’t help but to think that to be genuinely at peace with yourself, you need to be held account for the choices you make in your life, and even if you confess to a priest, even if you lay out your contrition at the alter, or mosque – recognising the pain you caused has got to tear you apart at some stage.

If you have a chance watch the film… disregard the latest Fast and Furious and engage your mind and your soul into reflecting on the world we inhabit, on the choices people made and on the ghosts that haunt us all.
------------------------
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_act_of_killing/
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Joseph27
Going Postal

Re: The Act of Killing

Post by Joseph27 » 5th Jun, '13, 07:52

It is masterful doco/film making - being able to make this film was in itself is a testament to Oppenheimer. He was interviewed on Phillip Adam's show on Monday night.... this is a documentary that deconstructs the acts, the motivation and allows the murderers a platform to demonstrate their guilt often with a tinge of remorse captured through a study of their body language and facial responses at different stages... This could surely be used as evidence in any other situation... when an individual kills a 1000 people at his own hands and owns up to it; it isn't unreasonable for a society to act... instead the film will never show in Indonesia, the history will remain hidden, and Oppenheimer will best avoid Indonesia for the rest of his life or he will surely have 'an accident'.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 24th Jun, '13, 23:08

Just saw this. It is an absolute must-see. Nothing like what I expected. Humans- what a bizarre animal! Thanks for the reco, J27.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 15th Jul, '13, 21:31

Given what has just transpired in Bangladesh - I wonder if you could have a few people brought to justice in Indonesia? I know the answer to that already - there are too many bloody hands, too many killings and the entire country is invested in denying its history.