Indian restaurant

Restaurants, Bars & Nightclubs of Singapore

Moderator: Fuzz

Dancing Queen
Limp Member
Mood: Fab!

Indian restaurant

Post by Dancing Queen » 4th Jul, '08, 08:13

I am looking for recommendations for a really good Indian restaurant. Not too formal but not gross either. Fun or nice location favourite but food needs to be good too.

Any ideas?

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Indian restaurant

Post by Kooky » 4th Jul, '08, 08:19

My favourite at Racecourse Road is http://www.delhi.com.sg/ although this comes a close second if you can forget you're in a shopping mall. http://www.shahimaharani.com/

For posh at the Pan Pacific, http://www.rangmahal.com.sg/

For style by the water, Vansh at the Indoor Stadium. http://www.vansh.com.sg/

Can you tell I love Indian food? :)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Jul, '08, 08:25

Oooooh! Well, where do you want it?

Holland V: there are two here, both in Lor Mumbong (sp?) near Wala Wala. I prefer the one on the same side as Walas and Haagen Dass, though the one on the opposite side (Kinara) is pretty good too. I don't like the one which is near Michealangelos st of restaurants (the Mararajah; they do the delivery service and I find their food not up to the same standard as the others)

Clarke Quay: Ivory Kitchen above the former 1nitestand is very good, though more pricey (but didn't bother me as the company was paying). Crab cake curry is GREAT!!! Nice bar attached to it as well. This is a cut above the rest on this recommendation list. Order a starter between two and then a main course each and share, there's some great food on there.

Ah, yes, Rang Mahal at the Pan Pacific, and also one in Raffles City, Shahi Maharani.

Pasitr Panjang Village: I've eaten a few times from the one there, though haven't got the foggiest what it's name is (I'm always sitting in the pub).

There used to be one on Food Alley, which is between Club St and Tras St. All I remember was the "Probably the best indian in the world" on it's sign.

Racecourse Rd: Banana Leaf.
Dempsey Rd: Sammy's.

Both of these are the leaf and things thrown on it, so probably not formal enough.

(From the formal request I would suggest the Ivory Kitchen on Clarke Quay, but thought I'd give plenty more options too)
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 4th Jul, '08, 08:35

Kooky wrote:
Vansh is closed for refurbishment at the moment. Used to love it, but then had two disappointing meals in a row. Hopefully when they reopen they'll have got their form back.

Another vote for Shahi Maharani at Raffles City, and Mustard on Racecourse Road.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 4th Jul, '08, 08:37

Rang Mahal is really nice. Not cheap, tad fancy.

Ivory Kitchen is very good. That sounds like the sort of place you are after and the service was impeccable when I was there.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Jul, '08, 08:37

I'd forgotten Clarke Quay - there's a decent one near the dreadful Tapas place, I think it's called Ras.

The one at the Holiday Inn was a huge disappointment. Samy's is more for novelty than quality of food, IMHO.

edit: thanks, croma. I like Vansh because it does some lighter dishes in an almost Tapas style.

edit again: must put this Ivory place on my list for our stopover.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 4th Jul, '08, 09:07

That place we went for the forum curry was very good..... cant remember the name

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Jul, '08, 09:14

expat yorkshire wrote:That place we went for the forum curry was very good..... cant remember the name
Chat Masala? Good food, service without a brain - that night at least.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 4th Jul, '08, 15:26

I'll second Rang Mahal and the one FB's talking about in HV one or 2 doors up from Wala Wala on the same side of the street. You can eat outside at the one in HV and it's not as 'fancy' as Rang Mahal.

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 4th Jul, '08, 15:44

Mango Tree on the East Coast and Rang Mahal are my favourites. Hmm haven't actually been to former for ages. For Brits the indian food there is all a bit foreign :lol: but Mr T's colleagues from southern India recommended it. Can sit in or out, but I like outside best.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 4th Jul, '08, 18:17

Yes, Mango Tree gets my vote for nice outdoor vibe and good food. A visitor would enjoy it there.
I've also taken visitors to Our Village on a roof at Boat Quay. I'm not sure how authentic the food is, but if you get a table at the edge, the view and ambience are really nice. Quite romantic , if that is a requirement ;)
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Dancing Queen
Limp Member

Post by Dancing Queen » 4th Jul, '08, 18:24

Thanks very much for all the tips. Sure I can find a good one out of all of these?

X

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 4th Jul, '08, 23:59

cromasaig wrote:
Kooky wrote:
Another vote for Shahi Maharani at Raffles City, and Mustard on Racecourse Road.
A friend of mine owns Mustard ( well, acquaintance really ) I've been meaning to go along for ages. Is the food good? It's North Indian, right?
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 6th Jul, '08, 07:55

Will y'all stop tormenting me - had 3 Indian meals here so far and been very unimpressed with all of them. It's my favourite food. :cry:

(Past and Present Aussies - please feel free to start a recommendation thread in the Oz forum.)

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 6th Jul, '08, 08:07

Mango Tree, also my favourite.

Dancing Queen
Limp Member

Post by Dancing Queen » 6th Jul, '08, 09:18

A friend of mine owns Mustard ( well, acquaintance really ) I've been meaning to go along for ages. Is the food good? It's North Indian, right?[/quote][/quote]

I might be able to tell you later this week. Think I will try one of the restaurants in Racecourse Road. Might be Mustard - will see how we feel when we get there.
x

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 6th Jul, '08, 10:34

The posh one at Robertson Quay was great the first time we went, missable the second time. Pricy and upscale so I expect better consistency.

Agree with you about Delhi, and there's another down from there called Kashmir - excellent service and extremely clean. Started going there when we went off Muthu's.

Our favourite always was Columbo in BQ but after an unforgivable service incident there, we can't bring ourselves to go back even when we crave their excellent curries. Yes the otherwise polite service was really that bad

There's a good pricey posh one in the Esplande but the company was paying...
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 6th Jul, '08, 10:59

azzam wrote:
A friend of mine owns Mustard ( well, acquaintance really ) I've been meaning to go along for ages. Is the food good? It's North Indian, right?
I love it there. The tandoori meats are incredibly tasty and we always find the staff really friendly. I hope you like it!

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 6th Jul, '08, 13:35

I echo those who shouted for Ivory Kitchen at Clarke Quay. Probably the best Indian meal I've eaten anywhere in the world.

Bender

Post by Bender » 6th Jul, '08, 13:42

Kooky wrote:Will y'all stop tormenting me - had 3 Indian meals here so far and been very unimpressed with all of them. It's my favourite food. :cry:

(Past and Present Aussies - please feel free to start a recommendation thread in the Oz forum.)
Recommendation: Ramas. Sorry, but it's in Canberra.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

shown

INDIAN FOOD IN ORLANDO

Post by shown » 14th Mar, '11, 18:45

Tabla Bar & Grill welcomes you to embark on a culinary journey as you enjoy the ultimate dining experience, including food, wine, and liquor.

http://tablabar.com/

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 14th Mar, '11, 20:21

indian food in orlando ....wtf

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 15th Mar, '11, 18:24

Khansama Tandoori Restaurant
166-Serangoon Road,
Singapore-218050

junaidj988
Lurker

Post by junaidj988 » 19th Sep, '11, 18:30

indian resturant & indian food now a days very famous as much as indian chef sanjeev kapoor [smilie=mango.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif]