Anyone knows any good bluegrass bars in Singapore?

Restaurants, Bars & Nightclubs of Singapore

Moderator: Fuzz

Happy In Singapore

Anyone knows any good bluegrass bars in Singapore?

Post by Happy In Singapore » 19th Aug, '09, 13:08

Anybody knows any bar that plays great bluegrass music in Singapore? I've been asking my colleagues and friends but they don't seem to listen to bluegrass here.

Google seems to have no answers too. I really love bluegrass and would like to see some live performances if possible. Would appreciate it if someone can suggest a search engine, website or forum to find such bars. Cheers.

T2K
Going Postal

Re: Anyone knows any good bluegrass bars in Singapore?

Post by T2K » 19th Aug, '09, 13:12

Live bluegrass peformances in SG would be a pretty rare thing. Maybe none at all. I saw your post on the other board where someone recommended Jamboree - its pretty mainstream country / western and there is no live musci there. Some things you just learn to live without.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 19th Aug, '09, 13:28

Happy, I also saw your post on the other board. Unfortunately, I think that live bluegrass in Singapore is akin to Cantonese street opera in Appalachia. Good luck finding either!

Have fun at Jamboree, though. :)
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Happy In Singapore

Post by Happy In Singapore » 25th Aug, '09, 15:29

Hey guys.

The music here is driving me crazy. I don't really get the music on MTV Asia. All the hip-hop, R&B and Beyonce is rather distasteful. These people don't really know what good music is.

Did visit Country Jamboree. It was okay but nothing like the places I went to back home. Think I'll hit some of the jazz bars i found on insing. Really desperate now. It's fortunate though that I brought some of my CDs here.

Thanks anyway!

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 25th Aug, '09, 15:56

Beyonce distasteful? Oh, you mean her singing :)
We are the TPF

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 25th Aug, '09, 16:33

"Good Music" is rather subjective. In line with what Lili said above, I'm sure some people from here would think the same about your favorite places "back home". Just roll with it, you're in a different country - no Merlefest here and no getai there.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 25th Aug, '09, 16:58

Anywhere in Singapore where they do line-dancing?

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 25th Aug, '09, 17:52

Lichtgestalt wrote:Anywhere in Singapore where they do line-dancing?
Are you kidding? The day we arrived in Singapore, we checked into our hotel and went looking for some food. We went past what I now know to be Far East Square and there they all were - the line-dancing aunties and uncles, complete with checked shirts and stetsons. Very confusing, it was.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th Aug, '09, 18:28

Hey, dun play play! :lol:

http://www.billbader.com/worldrecords.htm

The line dancers of Singapore and some from neighbouring Malaysia showed up en force on May 1, 2002 at the huge Expo Center in Singapore. It was an awesome sight. That word "awesome" is overused nowadays, but it could not be more appropriate here. Imagine 6 or maybe 8 football fields worth of dancers quite closely packed. There were sections with school kids who learned to line dance in their P.E. classes. And many seniors were present. Just about every line dance instructor brought almost all their students.
The line dance chosen for this attempt, Singapore Swing, was choreographed by Bill Bader of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada who was flown in for the project to help leading the crowd and teach a dance workshop afterward.
Accountants were hired to monitor the world record attempt and verify the numbers of dancers. The official counting needed to be done before all 13,500 ticketed dancers understood that they were in their designated spots, as it was 20-30 minutes prior to the actual excitement of dancing for the record. But once everyone gathered, it was an amazing sight. Huge video screens around the huge space were used to project the dancing so that all could see, alternating between those of on the stage and those thousands on the main floor.
Guinness World Records recognized this attempt as the official "World's Largest Country Line Dance" with 11,967 line dancers according to the letter received by Mr. Peter Ng of NTUC Income Cooperative in Singapore, the main corporate sponsor of the world record attempt.
Whatever the official numbers were - versus what the ticket numbers told - it was certainly a hugely successful charity fundraiser; at $2 a head, there was a whopping $27,500 raised for the Heart Fund, topped up to $30,000 by NTUC!
On the following day, the front page of Singapore's major newspaper, the Singapore Straits Times, had a big photo spread and very supportive article.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 25th Aug, '09, 19:16

Are you out of the (line-dancing) closet now, Lili? :)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th Aug, '09, 20:35

daffodil wrote:Are you out of the (line-dancing) closet now, Lili? :)
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Oh, I'm not ready for that yet!

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 25th Aug, '09, 21:14

Yay, Daff come on over. We can do it in the heartlands. they have sessions in my local shopping centre too. I watch them out the window while I'm getting my toenails painted.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 25th Aug, '09, 21:42

Can't see anything wrong with line dancing.... a bit like Tai-Chi, just with more music

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 26th Aug, '09, 12:14

But, for the record, line dancing and bluegrass music are not related much at all.
-Theodore Roosevelt