Shabu Shi - fab new healthy japanese restaurant

Restaurants, Bars & Nightclubs of Singapore

Moderator: Fuzz

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Shabu Shi - fab new healthy japanese restaurant

Post by Aliya » 8th Jan, '10, 10:59

Just found a brand new restaurant open in Tampines Mall.

It is one of the Japanese Shabusi ones, where you sit at a table with boiling soup and insert whatever you want from the little plates of beef/pork/prawns/vegies going around.

$22 for all you can eat.

Healthy and filling!

Was really fab. We got treated there yesterday at lunch but liked it so much we are going back again tonight :)

Highly recommended. This time will take card and put proper address.

Roll on 6.30pm.
Last edited by Aliya on 8th Jan, '10, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Re: Shabu Shi - fab new healthy japanese restaurant

Post by Joseph27 » 10th Jan, '10, 14:02

Will give it a go
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 10th Jan, '10, 15:21

What makes it healthy? Serious question, trying to understand Japanese food.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 10th Jan, '10, 16:55

My recollection is that it's basically just food cooked in stock - hence no fats, other than maybe what is on the meat itself.

Everything gets cooked in one big pot - not so good for vegetarians unless a separate cooking pot is provided. Tried it once, not been back.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 11th Jan, '10, 05:33

how is this different from your average 'Steamboat'? [smilie=stupido.gif]

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 11th Jan, '10, 09:19

In methodology, very little. Japanese 'Nabe' is another version of this. It's lower calorie because there are no carbs.

Chinese put lots of nasty stuff in theirs, intestines and tripe and such. Also, their stock can be very oily.

Japanese ingredients are more palatable to me and their stock is more water-based instead of oil.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 11th Jan, '10, 09:24

I have an issue with having to cook my own food at a restaurant....
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 11th Jan, '10, 10:52

True, although at least you get to sit at your table and have the food brought to you.

Marche is the one that pisses me off. I get to go to a restaurant, get a table, then spend 30 minutes wandering around trying to find something I want and waiting for it to be cooked.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 11th Jan, '10, 10:55

Well went again Friday night. Lean meat - chicken and beef and prawns as it is Halal. Lots of it. Lots of veges. Also has sushi and tofu foods, yum.

The food goes past you on this dear little converyor belt and you just reach out and grab a plate.

For Daff there are two metal deep pots set in each table so one could be for veges and one for meat eaters. Or you can eat at the bar thingy. You can choose tom yum soup or chicken broth as your base. It boils away and cooks the food and at the end when you are just about to pop you then eat all the soup which by then is really amazing because you have cooked so much in it. Food was really good. Lots of japanese mushrooms (the brown and tripey ones) and loads of veges. We ate until I could barely walk, was fab. Really recommended.

Its on the food floor of Hougang Mall, 2nd floor. $19 for weekdays for adult and $22 weekends.

But if you want to eat healthily this type of restaurant is really good and it is lots of fun making your own combo.

I have to say honestly I haven't enjoyed a restaurant for food more (not just booze etc as per usual) in years, since I ate veal in a restaurant in the Loire Valley. We came away feeling great.
Last edited by Aliya on 11th Jan, '10, 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Jan, '10, 13:02

Aliya wrote:I have to say honestly I haven't enjoyed a restaurant for food more (not just booze etc as per usual) in years, since I ate veal in a restaurant in the Loire Valley. We came away feeling great.
Bet the poor baby calf didn't feel so great.... ;)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jan, '10, 13:07

T2K wrote:Marche is the one that pisses me off. I get to go to a restaurant, get a table, then spend 30 minutes wandering around trying to find something I want and waiting for it to be cooked.
Don't even get me started about Marche. [smilie=poucedown.gif] [smilie=poucedown.gif] [smilie=poucedown.gif] [smilie=poucedown.gif] I was dragged there once by American friends of friends here on vacation - their last night in Asia they saw the Marche sign and went berzerk for it! Dorks.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 11th Jan, '10, 13:10

I know Daff, I thought it was some nice tender pork, was horrified to find it was veal, as a practice I dont eat it...:(

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 11th Jan, '10, 17:05

Slightly playing devil's advocate here, but why is there a moral difference between eating a baby animal and a full-grown one?

Buy a whole chicken in the supermarket and it is - in the UK at least - around 42 days old. I'd be surprised if it's different in Asia. A baby by any standards.

Also, veal is a complex one. We all consume loads of dairy products, which results in an awful lot of dairy calves, half of which are male and make no economic sense to rear to adult.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 11th Jan, '10, 17:53

spring lamb is pretty young when snarfed too

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 11th Jan, '10, 18:07

I really like the Japanese place at Vivo -- it has 2 sides, one with the boiling soup (I think) and one where you grill your own at your table. I've only been to the grilling side & I LOVE it -- nice beef tenderloin, marinated chicken, fresh veg -- yummy!

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 12th Jan, '10, 13:46

slinky wrote:and one where you grill your own at your table.
Have to say I'm with Baloo on this one. Why go out to a restaurant and then have to cook yourself - it's madness. You may as well find a nice bit of tenderloin in Cold Storage and go home and do it yourself in the comfort of your home, with the music you like, free drinks from the fridge ;)

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 12th Jan, '10, 14:18

Free? Erm, you are meant to PAY for the booze you select in supermarkets you know! :lol:

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Jan, '10, 14:22

So let me get this straight - you nay-sayers prefer your fondue to come pre-cheesed? :D
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 12th Jan, '10, 14:31

The fondue is cooked in the kitchen, it only comes out when it ready to be eaten. You're serving yourself, not cooking yourself.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 12th Jan, '10, 15:36

Also with Baloo.

I don't see the point in going to a restaurant and/or paying to cook my own food.

I don't really like fondue - will never order it if I had my own way. Not even chocolate ones.

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 12th Jan, '10, 15:38

You're missing the point. The point is to muck about having fun, making a mess, burning your fingers and then paying for it
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Jan, '10, 15:44

Suit yourselves. I like steamboat. One thing I like about it is that most soups are pre-made in the back, the ingredients selected by the chef. Steamboat lets you decide what goes in. That's handy. It's also the experience - it's novel. Why not? It's just a little fun.

I had a gorgeous meal in Vietnam, Nha Trang, I think, along the beach, fresh marinated squid and they brought a charcoal grill to your table. My friend and I were in heaven, it was so nice to cook it just so and eat it fresh from the grill. The marinade was to die for. Just a great meal and a fun experience. I remember many meals on that trip, but this one was especially fun.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 12th Jan, '10, 16:00

It's also the preparation. Cutting up all that meat and all those vegetables, making the stock = PITA. Throwing stuff that's already prepped for you into some liquid and then eating it isn't difficult, I wouldn't call it cooking.
-Theodore Roosevelt

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 12th Jan, '10, 16:15

I like the informality of that kind of restaurant. Think it's at its best when it's a group of friends, rather than a couple though.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 12th Jan, '10, 16:17

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:So let me get this straight - you nay-sayers prefer your fondue to come pre-cheesed? :D
the idea of pre-cheesed fondue is just disturbing on so many levels :?