Achtung! Know a good international removal company?

From the best fridge to the best handyman.

Moderator: Fuzz

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Achtung! Know a good international removal company?

Post by cromasaig » 26th Jun, '09, 16:42

Ah well, it all seems confirmed. The Crom family is heading sausage-side, to Frankfurt. Can we set up a Germany sub-forum please? :D

Actually, we're pleased. We shall have unimaginable luxuries including a car. And a garden. And access to family (may reconsider that in the 'luxury' category though).

So, now I need to get hold of decent removal companies. I'm sure it's been covered before, but I could only see references to moving locally. I suspect I'm crap at searching.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Achtung! Know a good international removal company?

Post by Kooky » 26th Jun, '09, 16:53

Congratulations! Frankfurt? Brrr, gets cold there.

Unigroup Worldwide moved us here; very good after the initial negotiating 20ft v 40ft container. Excellent packers.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 26th Jun, '09, 17:16

Wow! How soon will you be going??

There's always Santa Fe -- they did the retrieval & unpacking of the container for us here. KC Dat as well -- they moved 2 or 3 families from Mr. S's company back to the US.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 26th Jun, '09, 18:04

Thanks Slinky. Looks like we'll be off quite quickly. 14th August is the date that's being chucked around.

And yes, it does get cold there, but I'm thinking SKI-ING!

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 26th Jun, '09, 19:23

Ahhhh sorry to see you go, :( but enjoy the new adventure! Only mover I know is kc day, the moved us on here seemed ok. Will miss you for drink nights, must to before you go. :D

Edited for fat fingers on the iPod. Hirlies? I?i
Last edited by canuck on 27th Jun, '09, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 26th Jun, '09, 20:57

We just used the UTS Unigroup, their price was pretty good in comparison to Sante Fe or KC Dat for a very full Hightop (or whatever they call it) 40' container load. They were a few 1000 cheaper and gave us over a month free storage at this end. After unpacking it all just this week I can say that it was all very well packed indeed. We only had one disaster, part of my lovely bed got crushed by something and although it all still works I was devastated when I saw it. However I think that may have been the fault of the mob at this end, not the original packers as I saw they pack it all up, then again it should have been packed so it didn't happen no matter how it was treated. We were self insured so no comment on their claims etc. I can't say I was impressed with the guys at this end at all really.

I tend to think of that side of things as well. It is all very well having great packers at one end but if they aren't great at the other it all gets undone. Kooky seems to have had much better luck with her unpacking than I have had...then again I doubt she had anywhere near the amount of junk we did.

KC Dat have moved us four times internationally and they were always good as well, I never had any problems at all with them.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 26th Jun, '09, 22:30

Helutrans Singapore. Used them twice for 20 ft container w/no problems at all
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 26th Jun, '09, 23:48

Congrats Crom! Never got to know Frankfurt, but anywhere south of there can be beautiful.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 27th Jun, '09, 11:21

KC Dat did our move from Dubai to Singapore, no problems
enjoy life sausage side. lived in Hamburg and would move back again in the future (wouldnt go back to Bremen though)

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Jun, '09, 11:47

Sorry to spoil the KC Dat fan club here, but they did a crap job moving us from Singapore to Thailand in 2007. The packing was not good, damage done to some furniture - never got anything back off them. And they lied about "extras". Quoted us an "all in price" which was higher than other quotes then tried to charge us extras. Be warned.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 27th Jun, '09, 11:52

Congratulations Crom, and enjoy your last few months in SIngas.

Has anyone used Allied Pickford for an International move ? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edit : Crom - You'll be relegated to the "Rest of the World" forum I'm afraid..... :D
Last edited by daffodil on 27th Jun, '09, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Jun, '09, 13:44

daffodil wrote:
Edit : Crom - You'll be relegated to the "Rest of the World" forum I'm afraid..... :D
ah but you'll be in good company - myself of course, skank-la and a few others. In fact, shouldn't we be Worldaporum these days. Not so many people left in Singers. ;)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Jun, '09, 14:20

phuketkaren wrote:
daffodil wrote:
ah but you'll be in good company - myself of course, skank-la and a few others. In fact, shouldn't we be Worldaporum these days. Not so many people left in Singers. ;)
:( boo hoo don't remind me.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 27th Jun, '09, 15:41

We used Pickfords from the UK to Sg but the amount of stuff we moved (just boxes of crap, telly, etc., no furniture) doesn't really warrant a review.

Is it that time again, seems to crop up every few years, when the music starts and everyone gets off their chairs?

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 27th Jun, '09, 18:44

I am thinking Crom, that this is an excellent opportunity for you. I bet it was those darn movers what lost the necklace :-)
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 27th Jun, '09, 21:01

Good thinking Az!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tack

Post by Tack » 28th Jun, '09, 17:52

Ooh exciting. Lovely opportunity Crom. Good luck with it.

We used Santa Fe (no choice)for our last move and were really pleased with them. The crew were fabulous, it was no problem having them in the house for the packing time. My friend used them a month later and agreed they made the whole thing as painless as it could be. Neither of us had anything broken. There was a bit of miscommunication between them and the unpacking company at this end but the packers could not be faulted.

We used KC Dat for a move within SG, again fine, but I'd use Santa Fe if I could have that crew again.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 31st Jan, '11, 15:21

Any updates to this thread? Need to find a mover for my upcoming Thailand relocation. On my list of candidates for quotes I have Unigroup, Allied Pickfords (got good feedback from friends who used them to go from Singers to Thailand) and Crown. Any others worth considering?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 31st Jan, '11, 15:27

We used Allied to Perth and they were good.

Snaffled
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 31st Jan, '11, 15:33

Used KC Dat to Singapore and they were fine.
Used Crown for the last 3 moves and they have been excellent, including the move to Thailand.

One of the reasons I like Crown is that they have offices everywhere so they don't hand you off to a different company in your destination. I found their price competitive, after a little light negotiation.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 31st Jan, '11, 15:39

I just called all of the above to book quotes. Crown told me $9k for a 20ft container... isn't that a little expensive?

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 31st Jan, '11, 15:45

Jedi wrote:I just called all of the above to book quotes. Crown told me $9k for a 20ft container... isn't that a little expensive?
I remember a similiar quote for a 20ft container to the UK. Shipping itself isn't that expensive anymore so if you negotiate you might get to the real price

Snaffled
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 31st Jan, '11, 15:45

Seems to be high. I found the quotes unhelpful though as they bill you on actual and I don't know if you need a full container.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 31st Jan, '11, 16:56

Crown very expensive for our 40 footer, and managed pack so badly that stuff was found all over the place, instead of together with like items (such as book cases, shelves and books, or electronic equipments and cables and plugs). also a lot more breakage on this trip then ever before. some quite valuable and irreplaceable.

my past experience with K.C. Dat was quite good...
Last edited by Morrolan on 31st Jan, '11, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 1st Feb, '11, 10:40

The margins on international household removals are high, very high - sometimes reaching 50%. For commercial cargo, it could be as low as 5%.

However, the reason, as we can see from the posts here, is that when you are shipping people's personal effects they take it very, well, PERSONALLY. People rage and rant on the internet, raise hell, get lawyers, talk about it to their friends and anyone that will listen, etc.

Whereas if a carton of your employer's widgets gets damaged in transit, it's just ho hum, business as usual. My company moves hundreds of thousands of containers every year. We will not accept personal effects. I promise you that you can find glowing reviews and damning condemnations of each company mentioned above if you look long enough. Many hands are involved in one shipment, and consistency is hard to achieve. You should work with the one where the sales or relationship manager is someone that you feel A) you can trust and B) has some relevance in the company and can be a good advocate for you internally if something goes wrong.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt