Noo Kitchen

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Noo Kitchen

Post by Spike » 22nd Jan, '11, 12:17

Having just given myself my once yearly pay cheque, I have the urge to upgrade my kitchen. Not that I spend much time in my kitchen but a nice kitchen helps to maintain the price of a property. Has anyone had experience of renovating a kitchen and can recommend a good designer/contractor?
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Re: Noo Kitchen

Post by FurBaby » 22nd Jan, '11, 12:25

Ikea cabinets can look surprisingly good, just make sure that you get your own countertops as the compressed wood stuff that Ikea sells tends to absorb water and go wonky.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 22nd Jan, '11, 14:02

Ikea do now sell solid surface countertops

I have read a lot of recommendations for Classic Kitchens in Katong. When we went there they didn't seem that interested in the business, or have much in the way of creative ideas, but they do have a decent sized showroom, so it's a good place to have a look and see what kind of design you want
We are the TPF

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 22nd Jan, '11, 14:15

We bought a solid wood worktop from Ikea when we put the extra cabinets in our Geylang kitchen. We also used the folks Ikea recommended to fit them, and they were fine.

However I read it that Spikey wants somebody to do a proper design. Having had to put up with some really crappy kitchens over the years I'd say it's money well-spent to do that, then buy mid-range cupboards but splash out on a good worktop, nice taps, etc. We have caesarstone (and a very funky tap!), and it's very well-designed to make the most of all the space, but I think the frames and doors just came from Bunnings.

Batwoman
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Stressssed Oooooot

Post by Batwoman » 7th Feb, '11, 20:27

Ooo how exciting - I can come & help give advice on what to get.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 7th Feb, '11, 21:54

There's a place in the building to the left of the Dubliner with some high-end kitchen gear and I believe they do work like you're asking about. There's another two in UE Square. Nice stuff, too rich for my blood. No idea how good they are.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx