My first day looking at flats to rent

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

My first day looking at flats to rent

Post by Beesknees » 16th Mar, '10, 17:09

And I feel quite down about it all. It's just so expensive for what you get. I was taken round 12 flats and there was only one that we would have lived in. The rest were older ones (I like old buildings and we thought we would get bigger rooms there). Some of the toilets and kitchens were absolutely horrible and so many of them just looked so uncared for and tatty.

The modern one I liked was in Montview but far too expensive at 5.5 for a 3 bed place.

We have now specified that we are looking at 2 bed places

The agent I was with told me that there are lots of incomers arriving looking at rentals and that's pushing the price up again. She reckoned it would cost probably 4k for a two bed flat (I suppose/hope that reads at 3.5k.

Fat Bob directed me to a website last week where it showed the price per square foot last quarter but those figures seem to have been blown out of the window by today's proceedings anyway. (It was all area 10 I was looking in) :|

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: My first day looking at flats to rent

Post by JJ » 16th Mar, '10, 17:21

I have never been on a house hunt and been anything but disappointed by the first day of the search.
It takes time to refine your location, requirements and get the right agent. The latter being of particular importance here in Singapore I have found.

As well as getting the agents to find, look daily on www.propertyguru.com.sg .... I found my flat that way this time round and even the agent was really nice (bizarre and certainly unexpected).

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 16th Mar, '10, 17:24

JJ wrote:I have never been on a house hunt and been anything but disappointed by the first day of the search.
It takes time to refine your location, requirements and get the right agent. The latter being of particular importance here in Singapore I have found.

Ditto that, Beesknees. You'll need and want to see many, many places to be sure you find the one that best suits you and your needs. Be clear with the agent about what you absolutely don't want & hopefully she'll stop showing you crappy places. Good luck!

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 16th Mar, '10, 17:26

Well I am not sure if there really are lots of new arrivals. Prices should be up a little from Q309, but not dramatically. The Q1 10 figures wont be out until April though, so until then it is going to be a little hard to tell

5.5k for 3 beds (assuming not tiny) is not really that extreme for a newish D10 condo. If it is size and better condition you want, then you will have simply have to look further afield. In older condos there will be a units on varying states of repair. If it is a big development, there is fair chance you will be able to find a similar unit in better condition - expect to pay more of course

If you find somewhere older that you do like, you can ask the landlord to repaint, and and tidy up the bathrooms and kitchen etc. For some reason, many landlords don't want to incur any expense unless they have to - even if it would give their unit more 'showroom appeal' Of course the more you ask for, the less flexible he will be on the rental
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Mar, '10, 17:26

I've heard from other people that agents are (yet again) talking high prices. Even if you give them the most recent data they go "ah, no lah".

But yes, it will take time, and looking at district 10 for 5.5k in a 3 bed is probably about right as an asking price (depending on sq ft). It ain't cheap to live here.

Keep looking, and when you find, remember it's a negotiation.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 16th Mar, '10, 17:46

Fat Bob wrote:I've heard from other people that agents are (yet again) talking high prices. Even if you give them the most recent data they go "ah, no lah".
Interesting. Our agent encouraged us to offer lower upon renewal as the last time we renewed (2008) rents were quite high (and our rent at that time had gone up 90%). We offered $1500 less than we're paying now & the LL took it - no issues (this was just a couple of weeks ago). Seems agents LOVE to talk high prices even if they are talking crap -- the higher the rent you're willing to pay, the higher the agent commission. Keep that in mind too.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 16th Mar, '10, 18:06

Don't rush into anything and if your agent is shit, sack 'em. They will always try to rip off a newcomer. There are plenty of people here who can point you in the direction of a decent agent if neccessary.

It is a renters market at the moment. Don't let them tell you anything else.

I have been in my 3 bedroom, 2,000 sq ft condo, paying $3,600 for two years and I have just negotiated another two years for $3,000.

An absolutely essential resource you must check is the URA residential property spreadsheet. It comes out every quarter (the next one is due in a couple of weeks). Get the laest in the drop-down box and download the file, It gives you actual per square foot rentals based on property tax (so it is a true reflection of rent). Rents have NOT gone up since the last quarter, so you will be able to tell straight away if you are being taken for a ride.

If you get close to settling on a place, publish the name of the block here first just in case any of us have heard horror stories about it.

Good luck, but don't despair. Don't rush into anything and don't get pressured.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 16th Mar, '10, 18:13

I would also consider district 11 or even 12 ..... I think you would get much beter value for money and still close to town.

There are loads of new condos just north of Novena coming on stream
Last edited by expat yorkshire on 16th Mar, '10, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 16th Mar, '10, 18:25

Also think: Do you REALLY have to be close to town?

Why?

Everywhere is effectively close to town in Singapore anyway.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 16th Mar, '10, 18:32

didnt you live pretty close to town when you first arrived FM ?

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 16th Mar, '10, 18:42

I did indeed. I think it is a natural instinct for newcomers to do so, but having now moved "out of town" I can see the attraction was illusory.

I am now in Clementi and in all honesty I much prefer it to River Valley Road. I wouldn't move back -- even for cheaper rent.

A lot of that, of course, is lifestyle choice. I have calmed down considerably and more focused on outdoors and health these days.

My rent was also paid for me in those days ....
Last edited by Fresh Mint on 16th Mar, '10, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 16th Mar, '10, 18:42

they are talking rubbish, dump the agent, there are lots out there. we found 1800 sq ft in pasir panjang for $3600 a month, I can give you some agents numbers, some of the better ones I have dealt with...

I also recommend property guru site, as well as iproperty.com.sg, and st701.com which is local advertiser, you can get a whole house in the west around 3200...

we looked at montview last month, 3 bed was 4,000negotiable... time to dump your agent I'd say.. places to avoid at the moment... Blue horizon, huge f off tower about to start building next door, ditto for West cove, west bay condo, again a little further out is cheaper, but because you told them you want district 10 they will try to get you in it for big bucks...

gallop gables are nice apts,,, some can be a bit dark, but they're asking 3800 neg, which is high but negotiable..

check out cavendish park, they are asking around 3.5 - 4,, offer much less, way over priced....
also if yu don't mind older sort of funky place check out brookvale, there is a 3 bed there for 3.5k, however2 beds have built in stuipid furniture, but lovely balcony, big master bedroom and modern kitchen, offer them 3.2

:) ask me, I just spent 2 months doing this, agghhhhhhh :)

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 17th Mar, '10, 04:28

Beesknees, you do know we have a long-standing forum member who is a realtor? You should get in touch; she won't stitch you up, or she'll have all of us to deal with ;)

Lots of good advice above, too. We started out on Holland Road and soon moved out a bit, way too many expats there. :D

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Post by kittykat » 17th Mar, '10, 05:20

Hi Beesknees - agree with Kooks. The lovely agent on the board is the way to go. Although out of Singas now - I found agents would steer you to where they want you to rent and give you all sorts of cock n bull. All you need is someone who will do the right thing by you and have the resources to source what you are looking for and the smarts to negotiate like mad. Good luck. It's a pain and seems to be the more you find out the less you know and more confusing it becomes.

Agree with EPY on Novena - I lived out that way (Baliestier) before I left and loved it. Moved from Bencoolen St (same building as Sluggo) to Baliestier and loved it. Dead easy to get to the city - esp from Novena - buses straight to Orchard or cheap as in a taxi.

Good luck.
Because you're worth it...

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 17th Mar, '10, 08:17

Thank you all very much for replying. Your advice is really appreciated.

We've been concentrating on area 10 because Mr B's work is at Science Park 1 and he'll be using public transport/cycling (?) to get there. I don''t have work :cry: (yet!) so until I do I just need to be beside a gym for fitness classes and food shopping and public transport links (my needs are few). (Not what Mr B says!)

I've just had a look at some of the websites you've recommended and think I should go and see a few flats in a particular development at the same time - how do I organise that? !

I'm off to Leedon Heights this morning. I turned up there WITHOUT AN APPOINTMENT <shock> on Monday so was told to come back today and meet the managment office.

Thank you again.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Mar, '10, 08:41

Beesknees wrote:Thank you all very much for replying. Your advice is really appreciated.

We've been concentrating on area 10 because Mr B's work is at Science Park 1 and he'll be using public transport/cycling (?) to get there. I don''t have work :cry: (yet!) so until I do I just need to be beside a gym for fitness classes and food shopping and public transport links (my needs are few). (Not what Mr B says!)

I've just had a look at some of the websites you've recommended and think I should go and see a few flats in a particular development at the same time - how do I organise that? !

I'm off to Leedon Heights this morning. I turned up there WITHOUT AN APPOINTMENT <shock> on Monday so was told to come back today and meet the managment office.

Thank you again.
I work in Science Park 1 too and live in Clementi (area 5) but you should also consider areas 21 and 22. There are excellent public transport links from those areas (I frequently use them).

As someone else mentioned, Pasir Panjang would probably be ideal for you and there are a wealth of new and old developments down there.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Mar, '10, 09:00

Agree with Minty. There's heaps of busses going past Science Park 1.

However, there is no direct bus from Leedon Heights to Science Park 1 (that I can remember).

Clementi, Pasir Panjang, West Coast, Dover Rise, or if you're happy to go further out, then anywhere on AYE or MRT EastWest line.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 17th Mar, '10, 09:08

To see a number of flats in a condo at the same time, you ask an agent to arrange. He/she will then coordinate with the landlord's agents. (or you can do it yourself if you like making phone calls)
We are the TPF

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Mar, '10, 09:14

Fat Bob wrote:
However, there is no direct bus from Leedon Heights to Science Park 1 (that I can remember).

For some reason every new *my.company* employee who moves here ends up living in Leedon Heights to start with -- and hating it within a few weeks because of the transport hassles to Science Park.

Addadude
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Totally underwhelmed

Post by Addadude » 17th Mar, '10, 09:21

I'd go with the Pasir Panjang area too. It's perfect in terms of proximity to Science Park 1. And you are about 20 mins by public transport from town.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 17th Mar, '10, 09:45

the other option is to consider somewhere on the MRT line, lakeside or chinese gardens are right on the green line so it is a direct shot to Buena Vista MRT and then to town for you, who is not working. They are also way cheaper out there, probably under 3000.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 17th Mar, '10, 10:23

How about one of those lovely black&White bungalows across the AYE highway from Science Park 1? A couple I know rents a huge ground-floor flat, 3 bedrooms and a garden, for about 2.5k (I think) just a year ago. It's within cycling distance to Science Park. There's also a gym and a pool at Science Park (the last building at the end of the road, I forgot what it's called), and the membership fees are much cheaper than the bigger gyms. If your husband works in Science Park, the company usually gets a special rate for employees and their spouses. If you're interested, I can put you in touch with the couple who live there.
Last edited by nev on 17th Mar, '10, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 17th Mar, '10, 10:27

canuck wrote:the other option is to consider somewhere on the MRT line, lakeside or chinese gardens are right on the green line so it is a direct shot to Buena Vista MRT and then to town for you, who is not working. They are also way cheaper out there, probably under 3000.

Not a bad idea, but I had a few friends who lived around there and they had huge hassles any time they wanted to get a taxi home from the city later at night, none of the cabbies wanted to take them out there as they thought it was too far. I witnessed it quite a few times.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 17th Mar, '10, 10:46

I was working close to science park one (biopolis) and a lot of my fellow researchers lived along (ok I don't know the name of the road ) but mybe it is telok blangah? (opp of the port area) Very nice condos there - some with rustic feel .

But pasir panjang has more amenities. Some nice condos on a "hill" too overlooking the sea.
Last edited by Satellite on 17th Mar, '10, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 17th Mar, '10, 10:58

canuck wrote:the other option is to consider somewhere on the MRT line, lakeside or chinese gardens are right on the green line so it is a direct shot to Buena Vista MRT and then to town for you, who is not working. They are also way cheaper out there, probably under 3000.
Top advice there.

Lakeside and Lakeview give amazing valley for money.