My first day looking at flats to rent

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: My first day looking at flats to rent

Post by Beesknees » 23rd Mar, '10, 12:56

Hello all

Well the story so far is. Have seen 3 places that we seriously liked. The first one with the open kitchen. We spoke with the agent about putting some screening/netting up and he said he'd get back to us - Nada. Maybe that's what they do here? We would have shared the cost with the landlord but perhaps he got a better offer (someone who was used to open kitchens?)

We then narrowed it down to 2 places on Pasir Panjang Hill. The first one a flat in Ventana at the top of the hill. Then we discovered it looked down onto a building site further down the hill. Far East (?) are about to develop - you see it as you drive along PP road. I think the noise and dust might be a problem.

We then saw a flat further down the hill and along the road quite a bit from the construction and are still humming and heying about that one. I then spoke to another tenant who told me that the Cold Storage at PP is being pulled down at the end of this month and a new condominiuim is going to be built there. Aaaargh. Although I don't think we would be affected by the construction the loss of a convenience store is such a shame for the neighbourhood and I suppose means the nearest grocery place is Vivo City !

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 23rd Mar, '10, 13:04

I think it is pretty common to have construction going on at some point.

As to the covenience ,,yes a shame... it really does make a difference whether you have a corner shop in the vacinity.

Why dont you call up the agent to enquire about the kitchen? If you are already taking it as a no, then no harm... might give him an ultimatimum to which the answer might be in your favour.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 23rd Mar, '10, 13:34

I knew that agent was a fibber, we asked about a place close to the cold storage and they denied the ripping down of it.. It is a rubbish one anyway, the cold storage that is, no wonder they were so keen to bargain... There is a closer CS than vivo, just past science park in the new science hub building and there is always HV and gim moh market

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 23rd Mar, '10, 15:38

Due to the nature of Singapore its pretty difficult to find a place with no construction nearby.

You just have to make sure its not right outside your window

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 23rd Mar, '10, 19:31

EPY is right, nowhere is safe from construction in Singapore! esp if you're moving into an area which isn't a row of brand spanking-new condos. once they reach the 10-year mark, it seems like they are fair game for redevelopment ... ridiculous!

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 23rd Mar, '10, 21:18

I've been living near construction in the last 3 places I stayed at over the last 5 years.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 23rd Mar, '10, 22:01

we lived 3 years without construction, now we live by it, it seems inescapable at the moment
Last edited by canuck on 23rd Mar, '10, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 24th Mar, '10, 12:48

canuck wrote:I knew that agent was a fibber, we asked about a place close to the cold storage and they denied the ripping down of it.. It is a rubbish one anyway, the cold storage that is, no wonder they were so keen to bargain... There is a closer CS than vivo, just past science park in the new science hub building and there is always HV and gim moh market
PP Hill to West Coast Plaza is even closer excellent buses too.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 24th Mar, '10, 13:22

totally off topic, so open air kitchen and big f-off geckos, how to get rid? he's pooping everywhere

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 24th Mar, '10, 13:30

I think the official response is "get a cat"
We are the TPF

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Mar, '10, 13:46

Cook it.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 24th Mar, '10, 13:53

Live with it.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 24th Mar, '10, 14:26

Somebody on the AB suggested pouring boiling water on them. As solutions go, 9/10 for effectiveness 0/10 for practicality
We are the TPF

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 24th Mar, '10, 14:35

Apparently a couple of maids down the street from me trapped a big f-off lizard and cooked it up :shock: They were friends of our maid and called her to see if she wanted to eat some of it with them --- she declined :lol:

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 24th Mar, '10, 15:13

BoD wrote:Somebody on the AB suggested pouring boiling water on them. As solutions go, 9/10 for effectiveness 0/10 for practicality
I think boiling oil may have scored slightly lower on the practicality scale. But perhaps reached a 10 on effectiveness.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 24th Mar, '10, 18:50

I'll only live with it, if it pays some rent... I'm going to find a cat :D

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 24th Mar, '10, 19:26

Canuck
Sad to read the cruel suggestions on the board - I thought it was only nice people here. I've had success with this in Oz. Fill a spray bottle with ice cold water and spray it on them. It sort of dazes them and then you can do the usual tupperware box on top and tin foil underneath trap for them - that's what I do anyway.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th Mar, '10, 19:31

Don't take them seriously, BK. :lol: You'll be hearing stories about cats, coal sacks and bricks before long, too.

We lived quite happily with all our geckos - I think most of them lived behind pictures on walls. Our cats didn't stand a chance with most of them and they keep the bugs under control.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 24th Mar, '10, 19:41

I happily lived with geckos for three years but this bugger is defecating everywhere or puking (bleh) just no respect at all...

I heard they don't like mothballs? issit true?

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 24th Mar, '10, 19:43

So how does it go with this bargaining for a flat business?

We've decided to go for the flat on the hill. We like our agent and trust her. The other agent is her friend and when we first went to view were told it was 4k but we might get it for 3.5. We offered 3.5 and it was refused and they asked for 3.7. We offered 3.6 and it was refused and now 3.8 is being bandied about with a "you might get it for 3.7". Aaaarrrrggghhh...Is this a game to play?

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 24th Mar, '10, 19:47

when they go up from their price they say I can get it for, I drop my offer, so I'd say offer 3400 ;) , but then we cracked when we found what we really liked so... sorry not much help

renting flats here suck, go with what you are comfortable with....

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 24th Mar, '10, 20:40

Beesknees wrote:So how does it go with this bargaining for a flat business?

We've decided to go for the flat on the hill. We like our agent and trust her. The other agent is her friend and when we first went to view were told it was 4k but we might get it for 3.5. We offered 3.5 and it was refused and they asked for 3.7. We offered 3.6 and it was refused and now 3.8 is being bandied about with a "you might get it for 3.7". Aaaarrrrggghhh...Is this a game to play?
If I was you I would offer 3.5 and say take it or leave it. Do not blink. The worst thing that can happen is you have to spend more time looking for an apartment and it doesn't sound as if you are entirely convinced by this one anyway.

You are better of extending at a serviced apartment for a week or two and looking around for a place that you really really want.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Mar, '10, 05:57

Beesknees wrote:The other agent is her friend...
hmm hmm...

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 25th Mar, '10, 07:23

Morrolan wrote:
Beesknees wrote:The other agent is her friend...
hmm hmm...
:lol:

I missed that!

Beesknees, you are being stitched up like a kipper. Offer them 3.5 take it or leave it.

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 25th Mar, '10, 07:34

I did wonder that but the amount that is in it for them must be minimal even if we paid $200 extra per month - yes?