Taking herbal teas etc into Singapore

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Taking herbal teas etc into Singapore

Post by Beesknees » 5th Apr, '10, 14:57

We're just about finished packing; I should be an expert by now but I'm quite crap at it. Anyway we leave tomorrow and I'm just cleaning out last minute bips and bobs. I have quite a few packets of unopened herbal teas (dandelion, echinacea etc) and am wondering if these might upset customs? Do you think it would cause problems taking in my spice collection? I know I can get everything there, and more, but it would just save the hassle of buying all over again.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Taking herbal teas etc into Singapore

Post by Kooky » 5th Apr, '10, 15:19

I didn't ship anything like that into Singapore but I did into Oz. Singapore is much more relaxed than Oz, and I've brought herbal teas into Sg in my luggage before, so I think you'll be fine.

Why not put them in your luggage and declare them if necessary - not that I can recall it is necessary there.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 5th Apr, '10, 15:40

I shipped a load of cooking spices over in an air shipment & there were no issues with that and I'm guessing the shipping company declared everything in the shipment to customs. I regularly bring tea back in suitcases from the US & I've never had to stop and have my bags checked upon return. Honestly, it wouldn't even occur to me to declare tea to customs - herbal or otherwise. I'm sure it's a non-issue.

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 5th Apr, '10, 15:59

I suppose it's the drugs situation I'm concerned about rather than taking in tea per se. I suppose I just don't want them to find exotic teas and then go through everything with a fine tooth comb. From what you two have said it doesn't seem to be an issue. I'd heard dreadful stories of people being found with poppy seeds (from eating a cookie) on them when going into Dubai and ending up in prison. Might be an urban myth but just wanted to sound you long-timers out.
Thanks

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 5th Apr, '10, 18:07

Unless your teas are hallucinogenic, you should be ok. If they are, can I have some please [smilie=bananen_smilies029.gif]
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.