Cash Rich

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Cash Rich

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 13th Sep, '12, 14:01

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-ne ... n-20120913
Very few Singaporeans are cash rich but yet this couple can fork out $195,000 on COV.

HDB flats are becoming overpriced that I doubt my girl can afford it 20 years from now :(
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Cash Rich

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Sep, '12, 19:57

EEEEECK!!!!!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 13th Sep, '12, 21:50

Why does the HDB market have this weird COV concept anyway?
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Sep, '12, 23:52

There are some strange practices for house buying in different countries. Strange indeed.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Cash Rich

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 20th Sep, '12, 16:08

We have had collected our key and good thing is we do not need to pay COV. Use the COV on renovation instead.
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 21st Sep, '12, 15:03

when I bought my place in 2002, I don't recall it was known as COV. We just had to do a valuation and buyers offered either above or below the valuation price. If it is below, i think HDB would question why as their main interest is to ensure that they get back the CPF monies + interest on the original purchase. And at that time I think there were errant agents/sellers who if a buyer offered above valuation, people tended to under declare the selling price and pocketed the "above valuation" cost. Then I think HDB became tough on that. Anyway, I guess over time it became known as COV.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 21st Sep, '12, 15:03

when I bought my place in 2002, I don't recall it was known as COV. We just had to do a valuation and buyers offered either above or below the valuation price. If it is below, i think HDB would question why as their main interest is to ensure that they get back the CPF monies + interest on the original purchase. And at that time I think there were errant agents/sellers who if a buyer offered above valuation, people tended to under declare the selling price and pocketed the "above valuation" cost. Then I think HDB became tough on that. Anyway, I guess over time it became known as COV.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 21st Sep, '12, 15:07

I was so used to the Singapore house market that I was very surprised that in the UK, there was no such thing as valuation as when I enquired to see the valuators report on houses that we were interest in, I was told that there was no such practise. A bit tricky to assign its worth as some houses looked derelict yet had a huge price tag on it!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Sep, '12, 16:24

An item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

I have a load of wine sitting in a warehouse somewhere and in all honesty, I've got no idea what it's worth cos I can't sell it.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 21st Sep, '12, 16:30

Unless you are paying cash, in the UK you will need a valuation for mortgage purposes and I would think at the moment they will be quite conservative.

If you are paying cash, you would be very wise to get your own valuation regardless.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 23rd Sep, '12, 03:36

Yes, there certainly is a need for a valuation from the bank in the UK, and this is exactly the same as the private property mkt in Singapore. It is the HDB market that is weird
We are the TPF