Why would I do this?

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Why would I do this?

Post by slinky » 15th Jan, '13, 14:49

My maid apparently has a sister-in-law who is supposed to be coming to work here in Singapore and she went to the Philippine embassy today to submit or do some type of paperwork. The only reason I even knew that much was because she asked me if it was ok that she left early this morning to queue at the embassy. I was surprised to find her home around 2:00 when I returned today knowing how the Philippine embassy tends to operate (it generally takes all day to do anything there from what I know.) It seems whatever paperwork she wanted to do, she cannot do on her own and asked me to 'write a letter stating I am her employer.' When I first heard that question, I assumed the 'her' in that statement was my maid, but the more I think about it, I'm wondering if it meant the sister-in-law. This woman supposedly already has an employer here, yet she cannot leave Manila because 'she's on a tourist visa' there and for my maid to 'invite her here' she needs me to sign something. I've said no on the grounds that it just sounds dodgy and that if there really is an employer here for the sister-in-law they are trying to skirt the rules and whatever fees are involved and I don't want any part of it (and if that is the case, why does this person even want to work for such an employer? Can't see that it bodes well for the future). Of course my maid is now clearly pissed off and I have made a point to carefully explain why I want no part of this; however, to ease my own confusion and for peace of mind, do any of you have experience with this kind of thing? It just seems to me that if I sign anything I'm taking responsibility for someone who I have no interest or intention of being responsible for, am I right?

T2K
Going Postal

Re: Why would I do this?

Post by T2K » 15th Jan, '13, 14:53

Keep this in mind - yuo know all those part time Filipina cleaning ladies that people employ here? Well, all of them have employers that have signed documents saying that won't allow them to work elsewhere, live elsewhere, etc. So, you wouldn't be alone in such dodginess? Does that help? :)
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 15th Jan, '13, 14:58

You have a point, but it's not making me want to sign anything :lol: It's enough knowing I'm basically responsible for one person who isn't related to me - I don't need or want any more than that and I certainly don't need someone from MOM or whatever agency knocking on my door next month or next year about this. I just can't help but think that if these employers really wanted this woman to come work for them, THEY would be the ones jumping through hoops to get her here.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 15th Jan, '13, 15:19

I would ask the maid to go find a friendly agency to handle the paperwork. They will charge a nominal fee. Most of the maids know which agencies wont crew them over.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 15th Jan, '13, 15:26

That's the thing, baloo, she has an agent here that she knows and trusts and I use that agent whenever we need to renew her contract, so why isn't this person involved? That's another reason this scenario seems way out of whack. I'm thinking there is no waiting employer at all which would seem to mean I'd be signing on as the employer for this person -- all the more reason to stay out of it, as far as I can tell.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 15th Jan, '13, 15:49

Yeah, I'd stay out of it and just tell her to work through an agency.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 15th Jan, '13, 16:41

Doesn't the Philippines have some draconian laws about their citizens leaving the country? Well, when I say laws, I mean paperwork, taxes and bribes to pay.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 15th Jan, '13, 17:00

Fat Bob wrote:Doesn't the Philippines have some draconian laws about their citizens leaving the country? Well, when I say laws, I mean paperwork, taxes and bribes to pay.
Yes, there seem to be a lot of hoops, etc. do get through, but that's all part of what it takes to hire a maid directly from the Philippines, as far as I know. So, why, I ask again, are the supposed employers not the ones dealing with all of this??

I'd really like to understand just what is going on, but given I really don't want to be involved, I'm hesitant to bring it up again. It's seemingly been dropped, and right after I was asked and I made it clear I wasn't signing things or writing letters, I had big concerns about dealing with a disgruntled maid around here and I could do without that as well quite honestly.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 18th Jan, '13, 10:10

Just a quick update, for those who care (yeah, right :lol: ;) ) it turns out the employer has apparently decided to pony up and pay the costs to legally bring this woman here. I told my maid I was glad to hear it and that it was unfortunate she was put in the middle of it.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 18th Jan, '13, 10:54

If the employer tried to cut out of his responsibilities before the job even began, this does not bode well for this woman. I see problems down the road - brace yourself.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 18th Jan, '13, 11:01

Yeah, I know, Lili, but I think I've more than made myself clear on the 'I-won't-be-involved' point. Apparently this woman worked here in Singapore about 2 years ago and has been back in the Philippines since. This employer knew her when she was here before, so I'm hopeful that because of their history things will be generally ok. Apparently the cost to get here here is something like $3900 and the deal is the maid will pay 2 months salary ($1200) and the employer will pay the rest. Still highway robbery if you ask me, but, whatever.