Need furniture - where to go?

Practical stuff about living in Singapore - you ask, we'll try to answer! Trades, sales, wants, desires - but no commercial ads, please!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Shaxiaoyu
Limp Member
Mood: ok

Post by Shaxiaoyu » 31st Mar, '13, 21:08

We need furniture, the whole kit and caboodle, but would really like to steer clear of ending up with an Ikea showroom for a house. Without running around town to a dozen different places - what other "one stop" shop alternatives are there here?

Thanks!!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Need furniture - where to go?

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Apr, '13, 08:07

Park Mall has a lot of furniture shops, all different styles. It's not cheap.

Other options are to head to the various warehouses on the island, all of them seem to have a constant sale on. There are some around Sungei Kadut Drive in the north west plus possibly others elsewhere.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Shaxiaoyu
Limp Member
Mood: ok

Post by Shaxiaoyu » 1st Apr, '13, 08:20

Cheers Bob, what do you mean warehouses, are they like wholesale outlets? How do I find them?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Apr, '13, 08:27

Some of the warehouses have taken out notices in the papers, others - well, you just head up there and drive around. Use google as well (you may need the Singapore google which will link you into local websites at higher priority).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 1st Apr, '13, 12:01

Some interesting furniture at Dempsey Hill as well - some more expensive than others. Probably worth a look around - lots of shops to check out.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Apr, '13, 15:31

IMM Jurong. Not that I remember being impressed, but it does bill itself as the furniture mall
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Apr, '13, 18:59

IMM is now a mix of furniture mall and outlet mall. Quite strange combo!

Poppy Appeal

allandeong
Lurker
Mood: Good

Post by allandeong » 15th Jun, '13, 23:55

One sincere recommendation - DON'T go to RED APPLE INTERIOR FURNITURE CO PTE LTD located at #03-19 of IMM BUILDING. Check online for blacklisted furniture shops - RED APPLE INTERIOR FURNITURE CO PTE LTD is one of them! I bought a set of dining table and 8 dining chairs from them (without checking online! My big mistake!). We are average sized adults, I am weighing only 63 kg and my wife less; the dining chairs crack one after another in just a matter of months; and the company refused to replace, claiming that they do not have warranty for the chairs! I subsequently brought the case to the Small Claims Tribunal of the Subordinate Court of the Republic of Singapore. At the first consultation the company was absent and I waited for more than 2 hours, for nothing. At the 2nd consultation, Lau Boon Pin of the company attended. He was rude and unreasonable, and even accused me of "misusing the chairs" and "am not fit to use their chairs"; he claimed also that they supplied 1000s of such chairs to the food courts and never had such cases happen (in that case I must be really 'special' then, since I only bought 8, and 3 are already severely cracked!)
So, to save yourself from unnecessary headache, do check online for posting from victims of such stores, and avoid them AT ALL COST!

restlessfeet
Lurker
Mood: happy

Post by restlessfeet » 16th Jul, '13, 20:26

Shaxiaoyu wrote:We need furniture, the whole kit and caboodle, but would really like to steer clear of ending up with an Ikea showroom for a house. Without running around town to a dozen different places - what other "one stop" shop alternatives are there here?

Thanks!!
Hi TS, have you visited http://furnituresingapore.net/ ? Their furniture shop listing might be helpful for you.

wuiwui
Lurker
Mood: Happy

Post by wuiwui » 23rd Sep, '13, 11:26

IKEA would be a good choice :>

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 16th Oct, '13, 19:27

What kind of furniture? If you are looking for just European-style kind of designs, I can't really give any recommendation.

I bought my dinning set 3 years and until now it still serves it purpose. Star Living (http://www.starliving.com.sg) has good selections (e.g TV consoles, sofas, dinning sets, beds, bar stools, some decorative stuff). They are decent at affordable prices.

This year, I bought my sofa (3+2+1)set which is made of genuine leather from a shop in Marina Square. It is easy to maintain. When we were scouting around for good sofas (husband insists on leather material), the staff in this shop told us that synthetic leather will absorb body heat but sofa made of real leather will feel comfortable. Many people who have tried my sofa set have commented that it is very comfortable and they can sit there for a long time.

I can't remember the name of the shop off hand. If you want it, I will need to search for the invoice. Let me know.
Attachments
sofas.jpg
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 19th Oct, '13, 06:32

We did have leather sofa for quite a while as it was really lasting! 6 or 8 years i think. It was very comfortable but the heat still make your skin "stick" to the leather a bit. My mother starting put a throw on it .