toy-a-holic anonymous

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Bender
I post here professionally

Re: toy-a-holic annoymous

Post by Bender » 11th Sep, '09, 09:10

Satellite wrote:Boy, did I get it from my mother for buying that toy....nag, nag, it is so bulky, nag nag, why can't he palce a blanket over two chairs like you did with your brother...nag nag, he will be off the toy in 2 weeks, nag nag,, stifling his creativity..nag nag nag nag.....
What's worse: she's probably right. ;)
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Possum
Going Postal

Re: toy-a-holic anonymous

Post by Possum » 11th Sep, '09, 12:31

I Had Baby Baloo here last weekend and he loved playing with Pos1's (now 17) old castle and knights. Toys never go out of fashion. You are investing in the future :)
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 23rd Jun, '11, 13:26

I have this great desire to buy the ENTIRE collection of Thomas the Train railway track set to built a very complicated and hence fun railway track.

I also feel like buying those wooden fix it puzzles.

(I forsee playuing with dolls with my daughter a few years down the road to be VERY boring)

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 23rd Jun, '11, 14:57

Ours loved their Thomas the Train track & accessories - as did Mr. S and I. Be aware that stuff is very expensive though - it costs a small fortune to get all the trains, track and bridges & buildings, etc. So much so, at this point, my plan is to just keep it and pass it on to the slinkies' kids someday (should they have any, that is). However, I do think it was money pretty well spent because they used to spend hours and hours playing with it. In fact, even at 7 years old they had it out again pretty recently for a couple hours :)

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 23rd Jun, '11, 15:04

I liked Mecono sets, I used to buy them for the kid sister, I also sadly enjoy putting Ikea furniture, or similar together - I find it strangely calming, except for my size and strength aspect of things (eg I can't put cupboards together easily by myself sadly)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 23rd Jun, '11, 15:38

slinky wrote:. Be aware that stuff is very expensive though - )

Tell me about it! I actually find the track quality quite bad for a branded toy as it doesnt fit firmly in place. On the brighter side, at least Toddler SAte enjoys putting it together and taking them apart himself. I am so tempted to get the one on display at TAkashimaya. I think the whole thing might cost me a thousand dollars or more.
Last edited by Satellite on 23rd Jun, '11, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Jun, '11, 19:52

Though I would upset J27, have you thought about importing that sort of stuff? It'll probably be well worth in in $$ value.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 23rd Jun, '11, 23:54

there's a thought. I 've been thinking of getting it second -hand

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 24th Jun, '11, 09:09

That's what I did. I saw an ad online for a lady who was selling off over $1,000 worth of wooden Brio Thomas tracks and buildings and bridges etc. and got them for $350. It was bags and bags and bags of the stuff. That was when Wofie was about a year and a half. Since then, each birthday and Christmas we'd get him another house/bridge. Now we have the hugest set, it has to be close to $2,000 worth. Unfortunately it's all grubby and worn, many things are broken. I also found a shop that had the wooden trains for $9 (Sate, in case you're interested it's in the basement of Tanglin Mall across from The Better Toy Shop), so we have almost every train, too. He's going to be 5 and will still play with it, so we won't be getting rid of it soon. Had thought about one day giving it to an orphanage or to one of the children's wards at KK Hospital or something, but while it's a lot of stuff, it may be a bit too pre-loved.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Re: toy-a-holic annoymous

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 24th Jun, '11, 09:12

Addadude wrote:This reminds me of how my Dad got my brother and myself this fabulous train set which he carefully set up - and then wouldn't let us anywhere near it...
You got one of those too! My 2nd Xmas no less (1 year old?) Dad bought me a 027 Gauge Lionel Train set. It used to be set up for 12 days of Xmas with a nice platform and the whole nine yards by my dad and later by my dad and I. I think the last year it was set up was when I was 13 or 14.

Oh, that set cost him $49.99 Xmas 1948 which was a princely sum for him back. Where is it now? Sitting here in Singapore with me in it's original boxes (only the Lionel Train & Transformer remain with a few sections of original 3 rail track) still in working condition. I brought it over here a couple of years ago on one of my trips back. Worth a pretty penny today. My son isn't interested so I've contemplated selling it but at the same time it been with me for over 60 years! :shock: Boys & their toys!

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 24th Jun, '11, 09:18

you can't sell that SMS. no way. but yes, I watch those collector shows, someone would snavel it.
I would happily love it and wish my folks had stuff like this to pass on.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 5th Sep, '11, 11:23

Yes, don't go near or walk into the toy shops, Sate! LOL
My baby is only 2 months old, I have noticed that I will walk to the babies' section; browsing through all the babies' clothes which in the past, I would never have bothered.
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 5th Sep, '11, 14:05

You think it's bad when you have your own kids? You haven't seen Tas and me shop :lol:

(Can I interest anybody in a pre-loved sparkly sugar-pink princess dress, age 3-4? 'Charades for Kids' and 'Speedy Fingers' games? They were being sold for a good cause :oops: )

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 19th Sep, '11, 00:06

I'm currently collecting mainly boys' toys now: Thomas, Chuggington and very soon add to the Duplo collection that baby sate will get for christmas from his grandparents.

I leave the girls stuff to my mother to build. She already has more dresses than me! :o