Lamb

A place for the boards favorite recipes, healthy or not.

Moderator: canuck

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Lamb

Post by chocolate » 21st Apr, '11, 02:59

Hi there

Just wondering opinions on bone in (no jokes please) the lamb versus boneless....

Some chocolating makes me believe bone in is going to be better than flavor and then just a simple, salt, pepper, garlic (?) and a bit of rosemary

Any one got any thoughts? And does the usual 20 minute a lb of meat apply ? mmmm lamb (sorry Kooky)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Re: Lamb

Post by skank-la » 21st Apr, '11, 06:09

Bone in much better flvour overall -but longer cooking time
Slow cooking ensures a tender, juicy, evenly coloured and delicious final product & it cooks slower
w/the bone

Cook till internal temp w/meat thermometer is 150degrees farenheit for medium

We do it all the time use knife to make slots & stick in pcs of garlic
rub salt, pepper, lemon, olive oil & top off w/sprigs of rosemary
on the grill w/indirect heat & wet hickory or mesquite chips on coals

Awesome -will do Easter this weekend
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 21st Apr, '11, 07:43

those meat thermometers kind of handy when first learning to roast, they are not that expensive either.

PS sorry not much help there, only lamb I cook are the mini racks (delicious and very fast to cook btw) or steak
Last edited by Tas on 21st Apr, '11, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Apr, '11, 07:46

I've heard (and since I've never had, so it is here say) that the quality of lamb in the states is not that good in comparison to UK, Australia or New Zealand. The meat labelled as lamb tends to be a bit older, tougher etc. I'm not sure how true that us, but if skank can confirm and then chocy, you may want to be looking for "young lamb" - in the UK that would mean foetus but over there it's probably the right call.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 21st Apr, '11, 09:54

RWC is in New Zealand this year.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 21st Apr, '11, 10:57

my mum always used suckling lamb with bone. she also stuck entire garlic cloves into the meat as part of the seasoning.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 21st Apr, '11, 11:58

I agree that "bone in" gives better flavour, and that a thermometer is the way to go. We've recently bought a Pyrex brand one which has presets for type of meat and "doneness" - it was inexpensive and works really well.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 21st Apr, '11, 12:26

Bender or Skank is basting the lamb roast recommended? And what about for Beef? I have found with chickens and bird that makes quite a difference when I've paid attention and taken a moment midst cooking. )

I feel an Easter of cooking and eating well coming on inspiration of roast.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 21st Apr, '11, 12:49

i prefer goat to lamb nowadays...

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 21st Apr, '11, 12:58

is it less stinky?

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 21st Apr, '11, 13:05

Not that I'm condoning the eating of poor little lambkins, Tas, but you should try Batty's vegemite coating. She adapted it from a lamb recipe, IIRC.

Sheesh, I never thought I'd condone the eating of Vegemite either :o

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 21st Apr, '11, 13:49

I've had a crack at that already. The gravy ended up tasting too much like a big jar of vegemite when I did it, was too full on.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 21st Apr, '11, 17:26

If meat is murder, meat with vegemite is carnage!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tack

Post by Tack » 21st Apr, '11, 18:44

My favourite method of cooking lamb (or mutton) at the moment is very long slow roasted. For a bone-in joint (I like shoulder), stud with garlic and rosemary before putting in a covered dish (or oven bag) and roasting at 150-160 C for 3 or 4 hrs (depends on joint size and the vagaries of your oven). For the last 20-30 mins take off cover. Yum
Last edited by Tack on 21st Apr, '11, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 21st Apr, '11, 19:02

daffodil wrote:If meat is murder, meat with vegemite is carnage!
An enlightened Australian! Must be the Welsh cultural influence
We are the TPF

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 21st Apr, '11, 20:13

Blurk, I can't imagine anything worse than lamb cooked with vegemite...yuk yuk yuk.

Then again, I am a purist...I like my lamb roasted plain with no garnishes...and cooked to a dark pink, not overcooked. It is much better with the bone, and also the "ankle"...which you gnaw on afterwards....yum.....
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 21st Apr, '11, 21:03

Thanks all! I guess it's plain and simple - I just need to work out roasting times :)
Thanks for the heads up on the foetus lamb FB - I have an organic butcher I'm getting it from so hopefully it'll be good and not to tough and muttony!

Probably should go get a meat thermometer then - I always just guess / use a knife!

Can't wait :)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 21st Apr, '11, 21:06

Tack wrote:My favourite method of cooking lamb (or mutton) at the moment is very long slow roasted. For a bone-in joint (I like shoulder), stud with garlic and rosemary before putting in a covered dish (or oven bag) and roasting at 150-160 C for 3 or 4 hrs (depends on joint size and the vagaries of your oven). For the last 20-30 mins take off cover. Yum
is there a X Mins x lb of meat for Lamb Tack?
That sound yummy :)

Tack

Post by Tack » 21st Apr, '11, 22:10

chocolate wrote:
Tack wrote:My favourite method of cooking lamb (or mutton) at the moment is very long slow roasted. For a bone-in joint (I like shoulder), stud with garlic and rosemary before putting in a covered dish (or oven bag) and roasting at 150-160 C for 3 or 4 hrs (depends on joint size and the vagaries of your oven). For the last 20-30 mins take off cover. Yum
is there a X Mins x lb of meat for Lamb Tack?
That sound yummy :)
Nope, if it's a half shoulder or a particularly small lamb then I'd go for the 3 hrs but 4 will work for all other sizes. Easy peasy. I have done this with leg too but I think shoulder meat is more succulent (and cheaper).

Edit : I should point out that this is falling-off-the-bone doneness, it won't be at all dry because shoulder has loads of fat and this method means it does melt out (thus self-basting).
Tas, lamb shoulder does not need basting, a lean leg might (not come across one yet) but beef does.
Last edited by Tack on 21st Apr, '11, 22:23, edited 2 times in total.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 21st Apr, '11, 22:56

Tas wrote:is it less stinky?
definitely. and doesn't have the strong taste either.

Tack

Post by Tack » 22nd Apr, '11, 00:19

If you do want pink lamb and if you are buying a fabulous quality new season leg then I'd go for the following timings. Studding with garlic is always a good idea!

Preheat oven 190 Deg C. Roast for 30 minutes per 450g. Baste a few times if you like. If you like it quite pink, give it 30 minutes less cooking time (assuming 2-2.5kg leg). Rest it.
Last edited by Tack on 22nd Apr, '11, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Apr, '11, 07:49

Morrolan wrote:
Tas wrote:is it less stinky?
Why would you eat it then?!?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 22nd Apr, '11, 10:32

Fat Bob wrote:
Morrolan wrote:
Why would you eat it then?!?
because it doesn't have the strong taste?

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 22nd Apr, '11, 21:00

Tack wrote:If you do want pink lamb and if you are buying a fabulous quality new season leg then I'd go for the following timings. Studding with garlic is always a good idea!

Preheat oven 190 Deg C. Roast for 30 minutes per 450g. Baste a few times if you like. If you like it quite pink, give it 30 minutes less cooking time (assuming 2-2.5kg leg). Rest it.
Thanks!

sluggo
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 23rd Apr, '11, 02:16

Fat Bob wrote:I've heard (and since I've never had, so it is here say) that the quality of lamb in the states is not that good in comparison to UK, Australia or New Zealand. The meat labelled as lamb tends to be a bit older, tougher etc. I'm not sure how true that us, but if skank can confirm and then chocy, you may want to be looking for "young lamb" - in the UK that would mean foetus but over there it's probably the right call.
My brother-in-law is in the lamb business here in the States and would have a piece of you if he heard you say that. I'm sorry FB but what a bunch of bullocks. Please stop spreading this rumor if you don't know it to be true. First of all American lamb is every bit as good as any lamb in the world. Lamb is anything slaughterer before one year old after that it is mutton. Secondly, much of the lamb you get in America is from Australia or New Zealand because it seems to be cheaper than American lamb (for some reason). Most American lamb is grain fed before slaughter which adds to the cost and improves the taste (according to some like me). I personally try to buy American lamb when I can because I think it is actually better than Australian or New Zealand lamb (better texture and more flavorful). You come here to Texas and I will cook you the best lamb you've ever had.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.