Lamb

A place for the boards favorite recipes, healthy or not.

Moderator: canuck

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Lamb

Post by baloo » 23rd Apr, '11, 07:23

New Zealand lamb is self-saucing thanks to the tender loving care of Kiwi men.

Sluggo, can't agree on grain fed tasting better. I have always preferred the free range, or whatever you call it (some would say natural) method of leaving them out there in the paddocks.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Apr, '11, 08:31

sluggo wrote:
Fat Bob wrote:I've heard (and since I've never had, so it is here say) that the quality of lamb in the states is not that good in comparison to UK, Australia or New Zealand. The meat labelled as lamb tends to be a bit older, tougher etc. I'm not sure how true that us, but if skank can confirm and then chocy, you may want to be looking for "young lamb" - in the UK that would mean foetus but over there it's probably the right call.
My brother-in-law is in the lamb business here in the States and would have a piece of you if he heard you say that. I'm sorry FB but what a bunch of bullocks. Please stop spreading this rumor if you don't know it to be true. First of all American lamb is every bit as good as any lamb in the world. Lamb is anything slaughterer before one year old after that it is mutton. Secondly, much of the lamb you get in America is from Australia or New Zealand because it seems to be cheaper than American lamb (for some reason). Most American lamb is grain fed before slaughter which adds to the cost and improves the taste (according to some like me). I personally try to buy American lamb when I can because I think it is actually better than Australian or New Zealand lamb (better texture and more flavorful). You come here to Texas and I will cook you the best lamb you've ever had.
It was an American that told me this, that she hated lamb until she moved to Australia. I had no reason to doubt her (until now)
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 23rd Apr, '11, 08:34

I know where the worst lamb (ok mutton) comes from. Mongolia.
We are the TPF

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 23rd Apr, '11, 09:22

the best lamb is Welsh spring lamb

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 25th Apr, '11, 02:01

Lamb is young sheep (less than 1 year), Mutton is old sheep (more than one year). Baloo, I do understand that free range is much better for the environment and still taste good but for my taste grain feed is the best tasting and most tender. FB my guess is that your American friend had mutton and thought it was lamb. Not that many American's (except on the East Coast) eat lamb. It always amazes me how many people I hear say "I've never eaten lamb" Of course we didn't eat it growing up. I was in my early 30's before I ever tried it. Its now my favorite red meat. In fact we are having it today. Too bad you are not here FB.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 25th Apr, '11, 08:07

Not until 30? In the UK it's eaten commonly as a Sunday roast.

Had a leg of lamb yesterday at my mates place. MMMMMMMM indeed! Though it was grilled rather than roasted, it did taste lovely.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 25th Apr, '11, 22:20

My lamb was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Not maybe as quite as pink as I'd have liked but certainly not dry at all!!!And the gravy was just divine :) !!!!

Thanks for all the help!
Last edited by chocolate on 25th Apr, '11, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 26th Apr, '11, 06:23

Fat Bob wrote:Not until 30? In the UK it's eaten commonly as a Sunday roast.
Not in my house, it wasn't. Too many orphaned lambs snuggled up at the side of the rayburn (aga) and too much bottle-feeding for that.

Yes I know, we sent them off for somebody else to eat. Still can't eat them myself. Can't actually stand the smell of the meat either. Quite tricky when you live in Australia - never eat snags at a barbie as they're almost guaranteed to be lamb.

I'm the same with veal. I eat meat (not a lot), but I think every creature deserves a bit of a life and veal is just wrong. We let our calves grow up. (We once had a calf called Joe Frazier. Just thought I'd share that.)

I'd be a terrible farmer myself, wouldn't I? :lol:

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 26th Apr, '11, 17:09

Lamb is my absolute favourite meat...(and I have to admit to loving a nice bit of veal as well....Sorry Kooks) the taste and the smell of lamb cooking is just divine to me. In fact we had a lovely family get together yesterday and yep, yummy leg of lamb and one of pork as well, cooked in the BBQ and eaten out on the deck in the beautiful autumn sunshine...perfect ending to Easter.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 26th Apr, '11, 18:10

It's OK - Neo eats both lamb and veal.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 26th Apr, '11, 19:42

Just finished dinner with friends over. Slow-cooked lamb shanks, yum.

Followed by Disco's easter cake; chocolate cake with chocolate easter eggs suspended in the mix before baking, chocolate frosting, more chocolate eggs on top, and chocolate grated over the lot. Death by chocolate for sure, but it's a good way to die!

A nice way to top off the easter break.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 26th Apr, '11, 20:17

Has DB, by any chance, increased your life assurance lately?

Lee Yiquan

Post by Lee Yiquan » 14th Jul, '11, 10:59

Hi, can someone recommend me where to get readily marinated lamb chops in Singapore?? I need it for my barbecue. Thanks!! [smilie=kiss.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Jul, '11, 11:52

The Butchers in Holland V do some good ones, but not cheap (though not highly expensive!)

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 14th Jul, '11, 12:36

Bender wrote:Just finished dinner with friends over. Slow-cooked lamb shanks, yum.

Followed by Disco's easter cake; chocolate cake with chocolate easter eggs suspended in the mix before baking, chocolate frosting, more chocolate eggs on top, and chocolate grated over the lot. Death by chocolate for sure, but it's a good way to die!

A nice way to top off the easter break.
Just read about that cake, I'm on a chocolate cake experiment at the moment - how does that go with the suspended easter eggs? Do you have to eat pretty much the same day?
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Jul, '11, 16:51

There's a difference between HAVING to eat chocolate cake easter egg cake in teh same day and eating it in a day!

Poppy Appeal

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 15th Jul, '11, 01:10

The Swiss Butcher on Greenwood Ave. is great place for meats of all kinds. That's where I always bought my lamb.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.