Ho Chi Minh

This is where our insiders tell you what to do and where to do it.

Moderator: daffodil

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Ho Chi Minh

Post by JJ » 4th Mar, '08, 07:52

The only place really worth staying at is the Park Hyatt :D but its $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Caravelle (Dong Khoi), Legend, Rennaissance, Sofitel (Le Duan), Sheraton (Dong Du) are all good 5 star but for the price, you would be better stretching to Park Hyatt.

Hotels in Saigon are running at 98% occupancy on an ongoing basis. Hence they (think they) can charge outrageous prices for what is really just an average hotel room. What HCMC desperately needs but lacks is a really great top notch boutique business hotel.

Anyway, if budgets wont stretch to the PH, you could try the Bong Sen on Dong Khoi - its central.
http://www.hotelbongsen.com/

The Continental is a georgeous building that was ruined by being run by the gvt - next to Park Hyatt, opposite the Caravelle and Opera House - BUT i have it on reliable information that its just been done up - they used to do good internet deals at times so that might be a good option.
http://www.continental-saigon.com/

Top 5 restaurants:
1. Temple Club, Ton Tap Thiep Street
2. Ngon, Nam Ky Khoi Nga Street (opposite Reunification Palace)
3. Square One at Park Hyatt
4. Pacharan, opposite Park Hyatt, corner with Hai Ba Trung, sister to the original Pacharan in PP.
5. L'en tete, near Binh Tan Market for french or Warda, Mac Thi Boi for Syrian and great deco by the lovely David.

Top 5 Bars/Clubs
1. Saigon Saigon, where we used to take all the visitors on first night. 10th floor Caravelle Hotel.
2. Q Bar, opposite Caravelle entrance, under the Opera House
3. Alibi, Thai Van Lung
4. Xu, Hai Ba Trung
5. Qing (wine) & Latin (sports bar) on Dong Du

Spas for when it gets too much
http://www.spatropic.com
http://www.lapothiquaire.com
or Xuan at Park Hyatt.

Trips:
http://www.sinhcafe.com
Dont miss the collection of photographs at the War Remnants Museum.

Basically if you buy the Luxe HCMC guide its got it all in there.
Last edited by JJ on 4th Mar, '08, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Re: Ho Chi Min

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 4th Mar, '08, 09:06

Ooh, you must get EPY's views on the Bongsen. We both used to work for the same company and we had a really tight client who put us in there. EPY had a particularly nasty room and I think his head exploded. So did mine when he came back and gave me grief over it.

For those without megabucks, the Duxton used to be reasonably priced but was much better than Bongsen.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 4th Mar, '08, 09:10

Have stayed at most of the hotels in HCMC at one time or other. I would say in terms of value the Duxton is the best in terms of location and price .

Scummy is right I did go alightly apeshit when she sent me to the Bong Sen . I was given a room with no window . :o

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 4th Mar, '08, 09:49

well, i never stayed there, but i did once see a room. :) It was ok - very large (about the size of the Caravelle Suites) and it had big bay windows and a balcony onto Dong Khoi... There are a few Bong Sens so perhaps we are referencing different ones.
I say, just do the Park Hyatt and be happy :twisted:

Oh and I forgot to add the dodgy late night bars: Apo (Apocalpse Now) on Thi Sac. And all the bars in Pham Nga Lau area where all the backpackers go. Those are the safe options. There are more dodgy places - u2u me for them.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 4th Mar, '08, 09:53

jj

No its the same one . I think you saw the best room they had .

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 4th Mar, '08, 10:03

Nice western food

AL Frescos
Underground ( under lucky plaza )

Vietnamese food

Vietnam House

Pubs

I like the tiny Irish Pub there , try to go on Saturday and watch the vietnamese house band play Rebel Songs
Last edited by expat yorkshire on 4th Mar, '08, 12:48, edited 2 times in total.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 4th Mar, '08, 10:08

tried to post this earlier but failed.

There are two Bong Sens on Dong Khoi and one on Hai ba trung. DK ones are the better of a notsogood bunch.

The Majestic and The Grand are other options - beautiful buildings and great locations both, but I cannot believe the cheek at the prices they seem to be charging.
http://www.majesticsaigon.com.vn/
http://www.vietnamstay.com/hotel/grand/

Duxton is good - but zero character. Singapore run so you lots should feel at home :D They used to give us a killer corporate rate but not sure about rack or internet.

I have a six pager on HCMC, another one on Hanoi, and Cambo - compiled from various emails to friends who were travelling there etc... if anyone wants - then u2u me. But Luxe guides generally cover it.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 4th Mar, '08, 10:12

Sheridans on Le Thanh Ton. Watch out for super grouchy Michael and his cronies propping up the bar. :D :D :D

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Re: Ho Chi Minh

Post by expat yorkshire » 4th Mar, '08, 12:47

For a real local experience try Luong Son Bo Tung Xeo at 31 Ly Tu Trong Street in District 1. The place is like a massive open restaurant and its totally packed .

The signature dish is Bo tung xeo marinated beef that you bbq yourself. You can also order a side dish of Khoai tay chien (Chip shop chips).

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 4th Mar, '08, 12:50

Another pub thats worth a visit is the Blue Gecko , the owner claims he is local but he talks like an expat aussie. His wife often hands out free chocolate vodka shots and there is a free pool table.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 15th Mar, '08, 18:08

Some business cards of some of the places mentioned

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 15th Mar, '08, 18:24

We stayed at the Majestic and really enjoyed it. Very nice old colonial hotel.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 20th May, '08, 15:44

Update from a long weekend in Ho Chi Minh

Bong Sen Hotel : Upon arrival we were upgraded from a Deluxe to Superior (or whatever) room. The appeared to be the key to having a window. We had a balcony that looked out onto the street. The next door room had no window at all. Hotel was what I guess you expect a 3* hotel to be, but the staff were very friendly and helpful and the location could not have been better.

The Majestic is the one down by the river? Looked v nice from the outside, but would imagine that the fact that now every single big truck in the city seems to have been diverted to use the road between the hotel and the river, would be a bit off putting

Vietnam House : Nice place. Good food

The place that EPY recommended - Luong Son Bo Tung Xeo - for grilled beef, was cheap, excellent and the staff were good fun

Saigon Saigon : Great view, spoilt rather by the bad karaoke-eque band playing

Q bar - hmm.. I am far too old

One final bit of advice : When asking Batty for the address of a shop in Saigon, make sure she doesn't give you the address in Hanoi - makes finding the shop a little harder (esp if a road with the same name exists in Saigon) :)

How come all the most of the cyclo drivers have vanished?

Crossing the road used to be easier when there were only mopeds and bicycles. It's a lot more of a mental challenge now that where are a lot more cars on the road
We are the TPF

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 21st May, '08, 07:52

We had the best service at Luong Son Bo Tung Xeo. One tip - ask for a table near the entrance. The waiters pretty much did most of the barbequing for us.
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 19th Nov, '08, 09:29

It's now possible to get Vietnam Visas online. However, it's expensive, and since I work near the embassy, it's not a major issue to go in.

the web site is: Vietnam Visa Online
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 19th Nov, '08, 10:29

Oh my, I stayed at the Bong Sen Hotel!!! All I can say is that it was kept very clean for what it was, and the telly worked and had English. I let someone there organise it, as I didn't have a clue where to go. Only when I got there I realised could have stayed in much nicer hotel, one with bloom'n internet in the room for business travellers would be a good start! Going to recoomend it to all the VP's though for their upcoming :twisted: shame the director already knows about the Sheraton around the corner.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg