They still say the economy is doing well?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

They still say the economy is doing well?

Post by Kooky » 23rd Jun, '12, 16:12

Damn. Just read that two more fine dining restaurants are set to close, to add to the list of those that have recently gone under. For those from Sydney, the latest are Berowra Waters Inn and Pier. (Daff!)

We've recently lost Milson's, Manly Pavillion...Becasse has gone bust...and Montpellier, the English style gastropub at Randwick, that recently had a huge refurb to change it from a fine-dining venue to something more casual - well that didn't pay off and it's closed down already.

Every day on the bus I seem to see another little shop or cafe in Newtown has gone. For lease signs everywhere.

Really, they still think we're doing OK down here?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/menu-rewritte ... 20tjh.html

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: They still say the economy is doing well?

Post by canuck » 24th Jun, '12, 10:07

Depends where you are in the two speed econ

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/ ... 1zwqm.html

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 24th Jun, '12, 10:22

That's a shame, K, Pier was a Sydney institution for many years. Glad we got there last year (or year before?) !
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 25th Jun, '12, 08:53

I never got to Pier, disappointing. I guess I do have a little question about finding a price point that brings the customers in though? Funnily enough if you head out to Paramatta, that place heaves in the restaurants out there. We head out for the occassional work dinner and it's very busy and places are packed in midweek, was left with impression this is where you want to start a new business. And while Newtown does have shut downs, my work mates living there say there are a lot popping up new out there, and they've been great - so suspect there also a lifecycle to some types of restaurants.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg