Bob's Top Tip - Refund of VAT whilst on a trip to UK

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Bob's Top Tip - Refund of VAT whilst on a trip to UK

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Dec, '12, 11:06

I just bought a Suunto D4i dive computer in the UK and managed to get a Refund of VAT applied to my credit card. I did this on a visit to the UK, and am also hoping that another refund will be hitting me soon.

What you have to do:

Check with the shop that they are part of the VAT Refund scheme. If they are (and some shops, e.g. Marks and Spencers, tell you that they are if you pay with a non-EU credit card), then fill in the form (M&S print one out, others have specific forms from Customs and Excise).

I filled in the form using my NRIC number issued by the Singapore Government, I'm sure you could try with a FIN number, and should be no problem for non-EU citizens, just use passport.

At the airport, depending on the amount of refund and which airport, you drop the form into the relevant box or show the Customs and Excise man the goods and give him the form.

They do suggest you provide an envelope which sends the form back to the shop (or shop's agent) in the UK, and the shop/agent will refund your credit card. If going through an agent, they may (read: will) take a fee.

So, for my Suunto D4i, which was being sold with free wireless transmitter in the UK and US (and not in Singapore), I purchased for GBP310 (SGD625) and received a GBP51 (SGD100) refund, so total cost was SGD525

An equivalent model in Singapore costs ~SGD700 without transmitter and probably over SGD1000 with transmitter.

I'm still awaiting the M&S refund. If it happens I'll be happy as a bunny!

Feel free to check out the HMRC website for more info
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Re: Bob's Top Tip - Refund of VAT whilst on a trip to UK

Post by daffodil » 24th Dec, '12, 11:56

Same for taking goods out of Singapore.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Dec, '12, 16:55

Is there any way to organise this remotely ? i.e. shop online using Borderlinx and managing to get the VAT refund ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 25th Dec, '12, 09:08

Not if you get it shipped somewhere in the EU.

e.g. if Amazon UK ship direct to Singapore they can remove VAT, but if shipped to a UK address (of Borderlinx for example) then VAT must be charged. Borderlinx do not try to reclaim VAT for you. And I'm not sure anyone else can.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal