Duty of care?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Duty of care?

Post by daffodil » 31st Jul, '13, 20:04

A third army reservist has now died following a selection / training exercise earlier this month. Got to be some serious duty of care questions methinks.

Tragic for their families and friends.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... on-beacons
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Duty of care?

Post by Fat Bob » 31st Jul, '13, 22:34

There's just been a landmark ruling in the UK regarding the armed forces:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... uling.html

The ruling is that families of British soldiers killed overseas can sue the Ministry of Defence if their relatives died because of poor equipment or negligence. I'm not sure if this applies to training in the UK, but yes, some Duty of Care is required. I know the weather was extreme at the time, but there should have been some contingency for such occasions.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 2nd Aug, '13, 14:56

I would think that, if one stretches it far enough, there will always be some equipment problem or negligence (particularly of the "hindsight is 20/20" sort).
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 3rd Aug, '13, 00:58

And there will always be occasions that a government needs to put people in harms way. Otherwise every government in the world will have to stop governing.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

sgsavvy
Lurker
Mood: good

Post by sgsavvy » 3rd Aug, '13, 08:56

Fat Bob wrote:And there will always be occasions that a government needs to put people in harms way. Otherwise every government in the world will have to stop governing.
I totally agree with you. In everything they do there will be some risk or tradeoff involved. so i guess the issue is who they handle the situation when they get drawn the shorter stick.
looking for people to participate in a free diet research program. Time and Transport will be compensated. Pm for details