Ok, so I finally bought an ipod touch and.......

Moderator: Jedi

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Ok, so I finally bought an ipod touch and.......

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 21st Oct, '11, 21:55

Ok, so I finally bought an ipod touch and it's pretty cool.

BUT:

(1) I've tried syncing with itunes on my computer about 3 times and only about half the songs have transferred. The ones that I can see on my computer are a mixture of things I've bought, including video/TV programmes, and CDs that I own. What do I do to get the lot across?

(2) Is there a calendar programme I can download to type dates etc into my computer and sync, rather than using the miniscule keyboard

(3) It very cleverly has access to 3 e-mail accounts but if I happen to lose it then anyone finding it has immediate access to my e-mail. How do I set it up so that you need a password to access e-mail.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Ok, so I finally bought an ipod touch and.......

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Oct, '11, 09:13

1: Is the hard drive of the iPod touch smaller than the amount of songs and video files you have? In which case, iTunes needs telling what to send over. Options include downgrading the music to 128kbs (iTunes can do this on the fly though it takes some time).

2: iTunes can sync iPod and MS Outlook and Google calendars. (And Google can also sync with Outlook)

3: Does the iPod Touch have a screen lock? For further protection, I know on the Android phones you can also install a program called SeekDroid, which will allow you to find, lock or wipe you phone, but requires data to be on. That's obviously expensive when you leave Singapore. There may be something similar for iPhones/iPod Touch.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 22nd Oct, '11, 09:46

You can set a screen lock with a 4 digit password on the iPod touch. You can also set up 'Find my iPod' on the touch - I think you have to sign up for iCloud with your iTunes/Apple ID for it to work. Basic iCloud is free. If you lose it, Find my iPod will attempt to locate it on a map for you, but keep in mind the wifi has to be on for it to be located. You can also do a remote wipe of the data on it.

Not sure how to do your calendars if you aren't using the Apple calendar, but from FB's post, it sounds like there is a way to make it work.

I've found that googling whatever you are trying to do yields good results to help you out. Try googling 'syncing MS Outlook calendar to iPod touch' and see what you get.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 22nd Oct, '11, 15:23

Thanks guys.

I'm not currently using any online calendar but I figured if there was one linked to the ipod I might as well use it. Will have to explore cloud.

Re itunes. I'm currently going through my library manually deleting then re-loading to the library all the folders which didn't sync. However it's taking forever (I'm up to F) and for some reason it won't authorise me to transfer some (but not all) of the stuff I bought ages ago from US itunes now that I'm Oz itunes. VERY wierd.