So what happens when a "democracy" is overthrown.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

So what happens when a "democracy" is overthrown.

Post by Mr Oz » 16th Jun, '11, 21:20

So the middle east is overthrowing their dictators and want democracy. Very understandable and noble. But what if the "so called" democracies are overthrown. I guess we are going to find out very shortly Greece is almost there and spain is not far behind.

I like this article
And I will repeat the point about hostility to the media: it's not a problem for me and my colleagues to be hounded off demos as "representatives of big capital", "Zionists", "scum and police informers" etc. But to get this reaction from almost every demographic - from balaclava kids to pensioners - should be a warning sign to the policymaking elite. The "mainstream" - whether it's the media, politicians or business people - is beginning to seem illegitimate to large numbers of people.
As one old bloke put it to me, when I said: "Don't you want us to report what's happening to you?" - "No."
He was quite calm and rational as he waved his hand in my face: "It's too late for that."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-13783420
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: So what happens when a "democracy" is overthrown.

Post by Morrolan » 17th Jun, '11, 09:28

you know we're in trouble when people think that what is posted on Wikipedia is true...

the internet is not freedom of information, the internet is information anarchy.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Jun, '11, 10:34

Morrolan wrote:you know we're in trouble when people think that what is posted on Wikipedia is true...

the internet is not freedom of information, the internet is information anarchy.
The Wikipedia editorial discussion pages are very interesting, though. After Sarah Palin muddled the history of Paul Revere, it was alarming to see how her supporters proposed to change the Wiki Paul Revere page to include her interpretation, claiming the legitimacy of the source as a major US politician. :roll:
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Jun, '11, 12:21

Democracy doesn't get overthrown. The government that is no longer liked gets ousted and the new government gets elected. Sounds like democracy to me!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 17th Jun, '11, 15:42

The NSDAP came to power in a legitimate process under the Weimar republic however it chose through its leader to then disregard legitimate processes and thus end the 14 year democracy. Democracies can be overthrown but its not the ousting of an existing govt through a popular vote - as FB said that is democracy.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 18th Jun, '11, 10:16

I think FB is confused. When people loose faith in their democratically elected leaders. ie Promise you everything then shaft you at the first opportunity or you get a choice between only 2 parties and neither want to address the real issues and instead argue over stupid things like gay marriage. When the media becomes the mouthpiece of the government and not report or bring the politicians to heal on issues of public concern then yes democracies get overthrown. But what then? A new democracy that no one is going to trust anyway? What happens when the army defies the order to shoot protesters/looters (like Egypt)? Everything breaks down. Anarchy is what happens.
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light