Obliterated

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Obliterated

Post by Mr Oz » 25th Mar, '12, 07:36

So in Queensland, Labor has gone from holding 51 seats to just 6 effectively wiping the party off as a political force. LNP 78 Labor 6 Other 5 (3 katters). Gillard is now clearly a dead woman walking. [smilie=bye.gif]

KRudd did try to put his hand up to try and salvage things and was posthumously crucified. So to Wayne Swan and the other Queensland "traitors" 18 months to go and the clock is ticking!!!
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Re: Obliterated

Post by Joseph27 » 25th Mar, '12, 12:41

7 seats left - it is really hard to see how Gillard can rescue back this situation within 18months. There are still a number of ALP seats left in QLD despite the poor showing last time and historically the ALP has had their presence slashed to 2 in 1996 after and only 1 in 1976. Unless the ALP can redress this situation - Queenslands losses will make the next federal election almost impossible for the ALP to retain government... they would need to make up the numbers in Victoria and NSW
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 26th Mar, '12, 07:03

you do have to be a bit careful on drawing a long string from one event to another when comparing council, state and federal politics. The voting public is quite fickle around having opposition in different seats to keep them honest - sure it's got something to do with a sense of conspiracy and fear of too much power in one set of hands ;)

I'm in Joe Hockey safe seat so will be issuing an invalid vote because I will have not impact on the federal election. I can't fathom if I had any power in the next one that I could vote for any party that has Tony Abbott at it's head, they talk aggressively but have no policy, are incapable of presenting alternatives that are clear and positive and their dubious behaviour around auditing their policy costs has to be questioned. I will take Julia Gillards well known and respected administrative skill set behind the scenes any day over that buffoon. There is too much face time and politicing these days and people have forgotten it is not a popularity contest.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 26th Mar, '12, 07:06

Got to say, when some of them waffle on about 'mandates' for change they are clutching. But if ever there has been a mandate, oh boy has Cambell Newman got one. I don't follow any one particular party, and suspect Qld have got it right this time. It's a nice change to get an engineer back in charge with a breadth of experience, had a gutful of the lawyers.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 26th Mar, '12, 07:47

Its the way of our electoral system that the LNP didn't get 50% of the primary vote yet got 90% of the seats.

Roughly 60% to 40% in the end. Its amazing what can happen when only 1 in 10 change their mind.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 26th Mar, '12, 14:18

Totally with you there Tas - hopefully having an engineer will make a difference. I am enrolled in Chisolm which used to be a fairly safe Lib seat though with redistribution, the areas closer to the city were removed and it moved further out east thus giving it to the ALP at around 7% now. Don't see my vote as actually counting in this seat unless something dire happens to Gillard in the next 18 months
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 31st Mar, '12, 18:48

baloo wrote:Its the way of our electoral system that the LNP didn't get 50% of the primary vote yet got 90% of the seats.
Roughly 60% to 40% in the end. Its amazing what can happen when only 1 in 10 change their mind.
Errrr No! 49.8% LNP 26.7% Labor
http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/elections/sta ... ry.html#13
Remember Pauline Hanson got 25.5% of the primary vote and got 11 seats. I guess Labor are a bit hard done by. :)
Labor primary vote dropped 15%. The Labor party in NSW had 26% but got 20 seats due to the preferential voting system and the greens. North of the border the greens vote is very weak so for labor so it became a wipe out.

If you want to see just see how angry Queenslanders are, just read the 700+ comments in the local paper on this article, WOW Julia is completely toast! Far worse then I would of imagined. (and I have a big imagination)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/nati ... 6314902946

Here's a summary
The proposed open door policy for illegal asylum seekers was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Don't insult us with your presence. Should be a "NO CANVASSING" sign at the QLD border.
Gillard why don't you take your Olive branch and flog yourself. The people are over Labor, over Lies, and over YOU. You and your Labor cronies have raped, pillaged, and plundered middle Australia over the edge. Queensland is only the start. Call an election now
Julia, the only thing we want to hear from you, is when you are going to call an election.
Gillard we dont want you here don't you get it?
Too late Ms Gillard. After last week end Labour is on the nose. We will never forget what you did to Kevin Rudd. Thats why Labour lost last week.
dont bother Julia Gillard, many of us have linoseed oiled our base ball bats , and are ready in 2013, bat you out of the perks park..
And you guys call me nuts!!! Labor is completely finished in Queensland, Federal labor will get less votes then Queensland Labor. KRudd knew it, warned them but no matter how many times SHE comes north of the border its going to meet with angrier and angrier voters. Its totally out of control. The best thing Labor can do is eject Queensland and the 31 seats here from the federation cause NOTHING ELSE will save her now.
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light