Slight jump in inflation ...

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Slight jump in inflation ...

Post by Fresh Mint » 21st Feb, '08, 15:06

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I dread phoning home these days because it is so depressing listening to my boet talk about how bad things are.

Zimbabwe January inflation hits 100,586.2 pct yr/yr
HARARE, Feb 20 (Reuters) - Zimbabwe's annual inflation surged to a record 100,580.2 percent in January, up from 66,212.3 percent the previous month, official data showed on Wednesday.
The Central Statistical Office said inflation on a monthly basis rose to 120.8 percent in the period, down from 240.1 percent in December but still high enough for a country grappling with a severe economic crisis.
Critics say President Robert Mugabe's policies, including the seizure of white-owned farms to resettle blacks, has worsened the crisis. The veteran leader denies the charges.

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Re: Slight jump in inflation ...

Post by Aliya » 21st Feb, '08, 15:52

I have no idea how people are surviving there, how can they when their life savings only buys a loaf of bread? Awful. How are your people coping FM.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 21st Feb, '08, 18:05

it's the point two per cent that makes all the difference

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 21st Feb, '08, 19:33

i wish our central bank had such a relaxed view on inflation rather than raising interest rates every time it appears prices are about to go up... next one coming up. god forbid we'd have the annual inflation that China has endured for the past 10 years, they'd have our interest rates beyond the level of Zimbabwe. [smilie=imprecations.gif] [smilie=wtf.gif] [smilie=poucedown.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=merci.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 21st Feb, '08, 19:35

Morrolan wrote:i wish our central bank had such a relaxed view on inflation rather than raising interest rates every time it appears prices are about to go up... next one coming up. god forbid we'd have the annual inflation that China has endured for the past 10 years, they'd have our interest rates beyond the level of Zimbabwe. [smilie=imprecations.gif] [smilie=wtf.gif] [smilie=poucedown.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=merci.gif]
Spot the man with an AUD floating rate mortgage [smilie=tease.gif]
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 21st Feb, '08, 19:40

baloo wrote:
Morrolan wrote:i wish our central bank had such a relaxed view on inflation rather than raising interest rates every time it appears prices are about to go up... next one coming up. god forbid we'd have the annual inflation that China has endured for the past 10 years, they'd have our interest rates beyond the level of Zimbabwe. [smilie=imprecations.gif] [smilie=wtf.gif] [smilie=poucedown.gif] [smilie=23_3.gif] [smilie=merci.gif]
Spot the man with an AUD floating rate mortgage [smilie=tease.gif]
only half, still painful, tho. [smilie=bobolatete.gif]

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: bloody marvellous

Post by Fuzz » 21st Feb, '08, 19:41

Hehehe - my offset mortgage is fixed for 5 years on 6.55%. [smilie=yahoo.gif] I hope the RBA cash rate will have eased a bit by 2010! :)

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 21st Feb, '08, 19:48

Fuzz wrote:Hehehe - my offset mortgage is fixed for 5 years on 6.55%. [smilie=yahoo.gif] I hope the RBA cash rate will have eased a bit by 2010! :)
mate, the rate was too high too begin with... 6.55% net is murderous. i was used to paying 3% per annum pre-tax with 50% tax offset. [smilie=wtf.gif]