* is safe, secure and spam free
* is not another 'chatroom'

what do you expect when you take over a known forum site for expats? :?:

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Okay who's spamming them?

Post by baloo » 14th Feb, '08, 17:20

Are they being spammed ? I don't see it.

tbh, I stopped going there now. Not sure what they're trying to do. It'll be interesting to see if it gets off the ground.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: bloody marvellous

Post by Fuzz » 14th Feb, '08, 17:21

I know -- the commentary put on the front page of the old Singapore Forum site does not sound welcoming at all. The previous version mentioned that Singapore is in danger of being swamped by expat chatrooms.

I wonder if any of us, who need any pet-related services, would use Singapore Forum website or just contact SPCA instead?

The ol' SF forum seems pretty dark and brooding in tone, despite the soft-coloured-and-pastel design.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 14th Feb, '08, 18:56

and this forum is not an expat forum, but has rather a wider range, IMO, given the demographics of its members.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 15th Feb, '08, 17:47

Speaking of which, it would seem that BM has registered on sgexpats this afternoon and is posting there! :o :?

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fuzz » 21st Feb, '08, 18:57

I know I should probably let the issue go - what is wrong with the BM, I wonder? [smilie=wtf.gif]

I wrote this earlier in reply to his allegation that some people 'abused' the board:
BM,

[1] The abuse was never made known to us, your 'busking customers' - the line about 'even buskers were appreciated', well, we weren't informed that you were busking. Had you told us that you would've appreciated some donations, I'm sure we would've been more than happy to help because we had enjoyed the website for years and had made lasting friendships from it.

[2] Yes, it's your website so like it or not, we have to play by the rule - so yes, it was (arguably) 'professional' by your standard. However, we, as your customers were left stranded without ANY warning and communication whatsoever. Imagine if Yahoo or Hotmail suddenly closed shop without ANY communication, because "it is my website, my rule - so there, bloody tough", I could imagine the ensuing furore!

It's difficult for me to recommend the new Singapore Forum website to anybody.

It would've been much desirable, if you were courteous enough to at least tell us beforehand. Heck, not even a thank you for our friendship/custom and/or apology - yes, again, we understand that it's your website, but I thought that we were also your friends. Boy, were we under false impression!
To which he replied:
Fuzz,
I DO APOLOGISE to many people, some of whom I consider friends.

I have just read that some of those 'friends' have started another board using (I presume) collective funds. We (I) GAVE, GAVE and GAVE and when I asked for support NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON CAME FORWARD.

KOOKY WOULD BE BALD but for a holiday! WE EVEN GAVE ROBERT HIS BLISTERS and FAT ROBERT A BLACK EYE but would they give back?

Yeah, right!

Why didn't anyone supoort the board they obviously loved so much? Simple... It was there for nothing... Merv'll weigh it in.

Well, he did.

I'm sure there's a moral from this experience for expats living in Singapore. :roll:
[smilie=wtf.gif] [smilie=wtf.gif]

Did *anybody* know when he actually asked for support? [smilie=bobolatete.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 21st Feb, '08, 19:07

Fuzz, I'm not sure it's worth pursuing with this. He has his reasons but they don't match his publicly stated reasons. He's now trying to blame the members of the board for it's demise but I don't think there is anyone in Singapore who would believe that.

If cash was an issue, then why was he so hell bent in sponsoring charities and drinks sessions. Surely we would have paid $10 a head or more if the get togethers were in the name of raising funds. I don't think anyone on SF was there for the odd free grog party. I'm sure most of us would have donated if there was a genuine call for a whip around.

Now it's about trying to save face for BM. Quite frankly I'd try and stop the questioning on SG Expats because I don't think it's fair on them to have this debate on their site. That said, I'd hate to see that type of thread here too but I'm sure it's bound to happen.

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fuzz » 21st Feb, '08, 19:11

Yeah, I know. Going to stop reading and contributing to that particular thread and just chalk it to a strange online episode.

What a funny finale for the BM!

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 21st Feb, '08, 20:45

I understand your confusion and frustration, Fuzz. I don't ever recall BM asking for funds from anyone - the most that was ever asked was to patronize the sponsors and to donate to varying charity causes and from what I saw, the majority of the 'regular' members did both - often. I just looked at his response to you on the SG forum and all I can say is he seems to have changed his tune without telling anyone and decided that we were all just taking advantage of his 'good and generous nature' :roll: Can't hardly expect people to start giving you money for something if you've never asked them to, can you? I'm with baloo, had he made it clear that he wanted or needed funds to keep the board going, most of us would have been fine with paying something. Pretty unfair of him to insinuate that we weren't ok with it when we never got the option. Such is life, right?

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Relaxed

Post by Fyn » 21st Feb, '08, 21:17

I'd say just let it go. When one door closes another opens. Here we are.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 21st Feb, '08, 23:19

For the sake of completeness, here's the rest of his post that he's added on after thinking about it for a while. Without being funny, I think he needs some professional help. The man is slowly losing it....
Fuzz,
PS. Fuzz, how can I 'thank' people for 'custom'? There was none.

I mentioned above that yet another duplicate has been started. What will happen to this board which carries identical forums and posts and members? I fear for it and would like to help.

As for another board, well it'll be bad-mouthed by the rest and lurked and members will find yet another place and so on.

I was there for SIX YEARS and, along with Kooky made a fair go of it.

Let's see how things pan out. What WE REALLY NEED is a PROPER BOARD with 'GOLD MEMEBER' rights.

Cheers mate.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 22nd Feb, '08, 05:49

I think he fails to apreciate that a chatboard is like a proper pub. The bricks and mortar are irrevelant.

He didn't build the board. We did. He merely provided something that many of the other members could have. In fact, before Baloo set this up (I assume it was Baloo) I was toying with the idea of setting up a board for everyone myself.

Each individual member owns the copyright for everything they posted, as well, which leads to interesting considerations.

Delusions of grandeur, that's his problem.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 22nd Feb, '08, 06:33

Burbage wrote:Each individual member owns the copyright for everything they posted, as well, which leads to interesting considerations.
which makes me wonder what happened to the photos some of us posted on that board...

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 22nd Feb, '08, 07:44

No kidding, M. Since he was offering to get the avatars for us (more than a week after shutting the site down :roll: ) I wonder if he'd return our photos......doubt it.

Raffles
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: ?

Post by Raffles » 22nd Feb, '08, 07:51

slinky wrote:No kidding, M. Since he was offering to get the avatars for us (more than a week after shutting the site down :roll: ) I wonder if he'd return our photos......doubt it.

I think you may find the new owners will have deleted them, I recall trying to retrieve looking for some avatars via Google cache and they certainly had been so unless BM has his own personal 'closet'..............................................

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 22nd Feb, '08, 08:38

BM talk of money is total bollocks.

Was the singapore-forum a huge money making venture ? I would have thought it is difficult to make a living off a forum . I suppose AB make some money but not that much I would have thought. I had always assumed that the small sponsorships were designed to cover costs rather than make millions.

Merv more than broke even , he did not lose money on the board . A single sponsership of $20 per month by FurBaby is enough to cover all the costs of running the site . As we know there were several sponsors , ok not a great deal of money but some income . I know that ONS paid a fair bit for their advertsing ...kooky did tell me the figure once and it was surpised how much it was .

Finally if he was looking to make money why did he constantly ignore basic things like amazon or asia rooms affilaition. Kooky i know constantly told him to do this but he just couln't be arsed .

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Feb, '08, 13:31

Surely it's easier to think of him as a cock from now on?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 22nd Feb, '08, 14:12

I'm not sure I know the full story as I only registered on the old site just before it vapourised (but had lurked for a while before that), but people are generally pretty hostile towards BM since the shutdown.

People have said that what's happened was out of character. Has it occurred to people that he may have some deeper issues and be in need of some real assistance?

Of course, I'm only new here, and don't have the history of the old board (and I don't want it, nor do I want to encourage the dragging out of the analysis of what happened) - you are welcome to tell me to butt out.

Having said that, I do agree with Fyn:
Fyn wrote:I'd say just let it go. When one door closes another opens. Here we are.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 25th Feb, '08, 10:02

Now it's gone all dotty..
We are the TPF

Fuzz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fuzz » 25th Feb, '08, 10:04

Very, very, bizarre ...

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 25th Feb, '08, 10:09

One of the dots work

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th Feb, '08, 10:44

baloo wrote:One of the dots work
Yes, it's a link to Denise's website. He's not really going to leave it like that is he??

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 25th Feb, '08, 11:07

Maybe its one of those tests to see if you're colour blind ?
Last edited by expat yorkshire on 25th Feb, '08, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 25th Feb, '08, 11:17

or epileptic
We are the TPF

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 25th Feb, '08, 11:23

Oh, so one is supposed to chase the other-coloured dot around to get into the site? Err, right.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.