Re: Attica

Post by slinky » 23rd Mar, '09, 14:13

I don't think they are agreeing on precisely the same thing, however :lol:

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 23rd Mar, '09, 14:21

nev wrote:LoL... I'm yellow and I date yellow. That makes me an SPG, how?

???

Dont' shoot the messenger.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 23rd Mar, '09, 14:48

incidentally when does a business plan become discrimatory? I was discussing with mr sate over the weekend on the topic of Hooter's.

He told me that Hooter's in the UK are not allowed to discrimate to hire only girls with big boobs (as I understand that is the distinguishing feature of Hooter's) but if that is the every essence of their business plan, then shouldn't it be ok? Afterall,I am sure in the movies industry, most will only take on a muscular man as Hercules.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 23rd Mar, '09, 14:53

I applied for the role of one of the dwarfs in Snow White and was turned down. Should I sue?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 23rd Mar, '09, 14:56

Satellite wrote:girls with big boobs (as I understand that is the distinguishing feature of Hooter's)
not in Singapore it isn't.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 23rd Mar, '09, 15:13

incidentally when does a business plan become discrimatory? I was discussing with mr sate over the weekend on the topic of Hooter's.

He told me that Hooter's in the UK are not allowed to discrimate to hire only girls with big boobs (as I understand that is the distinguishing feature of Hooter's) but if that is the every essence of their business plan, then shouldn't it be ok? Afterall,I am sure in the movies industry, most will only take on a muscular man as Hercules.
If you're a legal brothel, and your business plan is to appeal to the pedophile inclined market, so your criteria is to only hire girls that are in the range of 1-6 months past 16, and part of the criteria is too appear pubescent. Guess that as that is the very essence of the business plan, and the girls are legal, that's ok really.
Last edited by Tas on 23rd Mar, '09, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 23rd Mar, '09, 16:21

Satellite wrote:incidentally when does a business plan become discrimatory? I was discussing with mr sate over the weekend on the topic of Hooter's.

This is often looked at in an EU law context, where there are prohibitions on "measures having equivalent effect" to a prohibited quantitive restrictions.

The classic example of this was the German beer purity laws, which stated that only beer brewed in accordance with the German law could be imported into Germany. This was declared unlawful by the court as it was equivalent to a law which would simply ban the import of foreign beer and was contrary to the principle of free mvement of goods throughout the EU.

I would add something in Singapore which is very similar (which is unfortunately completely lawful and very common) is the job appliction criterion of mandarin speaking. This would certainly be an unlawful requirement in Europe.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 23rd Mar, '09, 18:10

So, anyway, back to Attica. It's certainly the new Carnegie's. Which was, in it's day, the new Papa Joe's. I don't know what Papa Joe's replaced, maybe a place called Brannigan's - before my time? It's important to have a mass-market white boy meets asian girl bar though, the lack of that could seriously erode social order in this Republic.

The cycle seems to be:

1. It becomes popular for some reason and things are good.
2. More and more guys, hearing that there is game, show up, many of whom have no skills
3. Quality / number of girls declines
4. Bar starts letting in hookers to make up for #3
5. Place goes to hell and closes

This takes several years to work through. Attica may be in stage 4 at this point, though it's hard to tell as I'm not there that often.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 23rd Mar, '09, 19:57

I was a regular, but haven´t been in well over a year.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 23rd Mar, '09, 21:57

I have been, but not with a 'gentleman of colour' since last August, so not sure if they have some weird new door policy in place. I just thought it didn't sound too good on an international travel site, as Singapore likes to tout itself as the great bastion of racial and religious tolerance - although we all know it ain't always so. But then again, where is?
If I were Attica management, it's not the reputation I would want. But maybe they don't care, it's not as if the place is teeming with high spending Africans. Dollar is king.
Ironic though, that whenever I see stupid antics on a night out, it's usually coming from obnoxious Caucasians.

edit for worse grammar than usual.
Last edited by azzam on 23rd Mar, '09, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 23rd Mar, '09, 22:34

Before blaming the Attica management and suggesting all sort of actions... should we verify that claim a bit more? So far it's a FOF story with the last F being a website where everyone can post anything.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 24th Mar, '09, 09:56

baloo wrote:
Satellite wrote:girls with big boobs (as I understand that is the distinguishing feature of Hooter's)
not in Singapore it isn't.
so I am told. :lol:

Tas & FM those are extreme examples of course,but i'm sure you get my point.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 24th Mar, '09, 10:10

Fresh Mint wrote:I was a regular, but haven´t been in well over a year.
Blimey, takings must be well down then....

Where do you hide out nowdays ? I'm coming to town next month, will have to track you down for one [smilie=kiss.gif]
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 24th Mar, '09, 10:10

One what?

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 24th Mar, '09, 10:11

Beer ?
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 24th Mar, '09, 10:17

daffodil wrote:Beer ?
:P

Of course, M'dear. I look forward to it.

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 24th Mar, '09, 10:46

So where's the new Attica, then? You know. Just out of curiousity.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 24th Mar, '09, 17:14

Suspect that it might be the Pump Room (but of course that is only an nth hand vaguely overheard opinion and I have no personal knowledge or experience of the subject)
We are the TPF

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 24th Mar, '09, 18:19

i presume you don't mean the Pump Room at Great World City ... :P

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 24th Mar, '09, 23:35

interesting

it used to be my main watering hole, back then, both Fridays and Saturdays

I rarely go out anymore so haven't been there in over a year, but was told it's become more Indian in demographics. Actually even that was a year ago.

But about 3 years ago I went in with an Indian friend of mine, and while I always got in bypassing the queue, he got stopped, they finally let him in seeing he was with me. Maybe that's because I'm white or because I was a regular then, I don't know.

I've felt differently about the place since then.
nev wrote:There is definitely racism in Singapore, I don't dispute that. Attica, however, is about whether or not you fit into the crowd demographics. This is purely my opinion of course.
Last edited by Sardonicus on 24th Mar, '09, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 24th Mar, '09, 23:43

nah

the Pump Room (CQ) is to ABBA what Attica is to Paul Van Dyk, or something like that...

at the former, nothing but Gay Anthems; at least the music at Attica Too is usually pretty good, maybe the best in Singers
BoD wrote:Suspect that it might be the Pump Room (but of course that is only an nth hand vaguely overheard opinion and I have no personal knowledge or experience of the subject)
Last edited by Sardonicus on 24th Mar, '09, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 24th Mar, '09, 23:57

I thought we were talking about pick up joints not 'good' music. I don't remember Carnegies of Papa Joe's being exactly cutting-edge musically. That said, the music at Attica Too is dire
We are the TPF

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 25th Mar, '09, 00:01

hmmm

if it's dire there, then where is it good?

at least you don't hear Cold Play Hoobastanky-stuff like everywhere else

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 25th Mar, '09, 00:05

No idea :) I am old/old-fashioned and have always thought that the idea of going to club was to have a good laugh, meet people, drink beer and dance like an idiot as opposed to standing around moving up and down on the spot with a glazed look on your face whilst having your eardrums perforated
We are the TPF