Attica

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Attica

Post by azzam » 21st Mar, '09, 12:51

A friend pointed this out to me yesterday, from a travel site. Have to say, I was shocked - has anyone else heard of similar treatment recently? I think it needs pointing out to Attica management if it's true. I'm hoping it's one idiot staff member and not policy.

Attica Singapore - Racist against People of Color Jan 31, 2009
Last night, for the first time during my tenure in Singapore, I experienced blatant racism for the first time. I would have never guessed that a club as established and popular as Attica would have staff members discriminating against a class of people. As I've been to Attica on several occasions, I've always wondered why each time during my visit, I've always had problems out of one specific bouncer. Last night I found out why when that same bouncer informed my friend and I that Attica only welcomes and allows in "white people" and anyone of "black decent" was no longer welcomed. As an African American, I found such a comment not only disturbing but also disrespectful against any person of color. As such, I will advise everyone I know that Attica is no longer a place where people of color are welcomed.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Attica

Post by baloo » 21st Mar, '09, 15:10

I agree boycott the place. No need to hear the bouncer's side of the story.
Last edited by baloo on 21st Mar, '09, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

azzam

Post by azzam » 21st Mar, '09, 15:15

Did I say boycott? That's why I asked if anyone else had had a similar experience. If it's pointed out, perhaps management might question their staff.

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 23rd Mar, '09, 10:07

Happened quite a lot in Dubai. But there it was Indians/Pakistanis who were discrminated againts.
Heard a few times of British expat Indians being refused entry to clubs until they showed that the were from UK and then they were allowed in.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 23rd Mar, '09, 10:15

Racism is definitely in evidence here. I've recently received feedback that some Chinese residents in my condo object to me being Chairman of the condo's Management Council, on the basis of, "Why should we listen to an Ang Moh telling us what to do." Firstly, it's the whole Council that makes decisions on what happens here and secondly, no ethnic Chinese people put their hands up to volunteer for the job. I guess the moral of these stories is that you will find racists in any community.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 23rd Mar, '09, 11:16

The bouncers are a law unto themselves, but I've never seen or heard of them discriminating against people on basis if race. In fact, a couple of black guys I know are very regular customers and it isn't as if one of them could sneak in given he is about 6" 9'.

They do discriminate on the basis of your coolness, however ...

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 23rd Mar, '09, 11:48

Funny because they always let me in despite my "color". I'm yellow. Kinda red-ish now because I was out "tanning" (or rather, "redding") yesterday.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 23rd Mar, '09, 11:48

I thought all clubs discriminate, as FM said, due to your coolness for the crowd.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 23rd Mar, '09, 11:49

If by "color" the disgruntled patron meant "non-white", it explains why the bouncers are always outside. None of them are white.

Oh, the owner/manager too. He's definitely not white.
Last edited by nev on 23rd Mar, '09, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 23rd Mar, '09, 11:56

That's because I am told it is a SPG and ang moh hang out....

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:01

I'll get the popcorn.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:11

:lol:

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:19

LoL... I'm yellow and I date yellow. That makes me an SPG, how?

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:26

Wait... I'm an (invisible) expat. Does that mean the local guy I'm dating is an SPGuy?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:41

I think we're all skirting round the issue here. Being yellow or coffee-coloured, SE Asian, in Singapore is very different from being black and African.

In fact it's very different from being black of any geographical origin. A few years ago I advised a British-Jamaican thinking of moving to Singapore that the majority would assume them to be Nigerian scam artists (they were always in the press in those days, as people fell for their scams - don't know if they still are). I still stand by that.

Anybody daft enough to think there is no racism in Singapore should read a few local forums. Chinese are greedy, Muds are lazy crooks, Indians smell...and as for Ang Mohs [smilie=rotflmao.gif] ...and funny how it's always a Bangla that "molested" a girl in a crowd, isn't it?

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:48

There is definitely racism in Singapore, I don't dispute that. Attica, however, is about whether or not you fit into the crowd demographics. This is purely my opinion of course.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:53

And how much money they think you have to spend, combined with how little trouble they think you will cause, I would imagine. Not much different from any other club in those policies.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:55

I'm far too uncool to even try to get into Attica.

And yes, there is racism here. Only really became aware of it when noticed the looks of horror that we have a brown baby.

I remember a few years ago chatting to an African guy on the bus. He was here playing fooball for one of the S league teams. People looked horrified on the bus that I was talking to him. And our office manager in KL informed me that there were two African guys in my class but not to worry as "they won't harm you."

A lot of it is ignorance though - don't get many black people in Singapore. A friend of mine is black (British) and doesn't seem to find it a huge issue here, so maybe things are changing.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 23rd Mar, '09, 12:58

The one thing which could cause the confusion is that the bouncers will not let U.S. servicemen on shore leave to go into Attica -- black, white or any other colour.

I have frequently seen black (and white) sailors arguing with the bouncers, but they have a flat policy of not allowing them in. Too much trouble caused.

I suspect this is where any confusion it comes from.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 23rd Mar, '09, 13:06

Fresh Mint wrote:The one thing which could cause the confusion is that the bouncers will not let U.S. servicemen on shore leave to go into Attica -- black, white or any other colour.
They should just ban dodgy crew cuts and calf-length white sports socks, that'll take care of them.

azzam

Post by azzam » 23rd Mar, '09, 13:13

Scummy Mummy wrote:I'm far too uncool to even try to get into Attica.

And our office manager in KL informed me that there were two African guys in my class but not to worry as "they won't harm you."
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 23rd Mar, '09, 13:24

"If your undies are showing, you're not going"

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 23rd Mar, '09, 13:36

Fresh Mint wrote:"If your undies are showing, you're not going"
I think most clubs here would soon go out of business.

(Note to teenage boys: If you must show them off, ask Mummy to wash them for you.)

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 23rd Mar, '09, 13:45

Attica only allows in white people? Really? I think the original authour should have phrased that better. I would never go there if they only allowed in white people, not nearly enough white hotties in town to sustain that.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

azzam

Post by azzam » 23rd Mar, '09, 13:52

Agreed. :P