Now this is interesting....

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Now this is interesting....

Post by Sardonicus » 7th Feb, '13, 10:44

By now this has gone viral, and I've seen a number of sites with heaps of comments on the story. It raises some interesting points, on one hand, a much-needed slap-down, on the other, a ruined life.

Maybe something to take some of the wind out of the sails of The Gun Debate thread?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/0 ... 23986.html
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Now this is interesting....

Post by slinky » 7th Feb, '13, 11:33

I'm confused. What's a girl brought up on drug charges flipping the judge the bird have to do with the gun debate thread? Or are you referring to the second thing on that page about a bank robber shooting himself in the foot?

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 7th Feb, '13, 11:46

It's got nothing to do with the other thread other than being another controversial, albeit arguably less so, topic.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 7th Feb, '13, 13:13

I think this one would get 100% agreement on the verdict of "what a dumbass!", wouldn't it?
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 7th Feb, '13, 13:44

T2K wrote:I think this one would get 100% agreement on the verdict of "what a dumbass!", wouldn't it?
One would think, but I guess I'm interested in what's 'controversial' about it. I mean, when has being rude, mouthy and disrespectful to a judge ever been a good or even acceptable idea?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 7th Feb, '13, 13:56

i think the judge was showing remarkable constraint facing this vacuous, slack-jawed disrespectful bimbo...

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 7th Feb, '13, 13:59

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 7th Feb, '13, 14:58

While I enjoyed the same schadenfreude that most everyone else did seeing the clip, reading through some of the comments, and there are many, some 20-30% contend that the judge was overly harsh and in doing so, has condemned her onto a path of no return, as with a criminal record she will never be able to get a proper job. It is a fairly serious charge for someone who doesn't have a record. Some paint a picture of a doomed life of welfare, meth addiction and of no future.

My personal opinion is justice was done and she'll either learn something or she won't. Either way, she is now the poster child for that kind of behaviour, and few would want to follow. Who knows, maybe it will start a positive trend. I have a niece who acts a bit like that, it seems to be endemic in some places.

Here's the whole clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBjiiIDtm8