So we're Aussies

Post by Kooky » 22nd Mar, '13, 20:36

That's all, really. :)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: So we're Aussies

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Mar, '13, 12:52

I'm not too sure who to feel more sorry for, Australia or K&N!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 23rd Mar, '13, 14:08

Congratulations K and Neo!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 23rd Mar, '13, 17:20

Congratulations! :)
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 24th Mar, '13, 09:13

Yay - Congrats!! :)!!!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Mar, '13, 09:37

Enjoy your Aussie passports.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 25th Mar, '13, 23:33

Is it better to be an Aussie than a Brit?
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 26th Mar, '13, 03:48

Not sure there is a PC answer to that!

We're both, sluggo. Dual citizenship. We can go out of Oz on our Oz passports (applications in progress), into the UK on our British ones, and back into Oz on our Oz ones without needing visas (we were previously PR, but that was cancelled the moment we became citizens - hence passport applications being in progress). I'd say a British passport gets us more places either without visas or with less hassle in getting them, and of course we can come and go in Europe as we please.

Living in Oz, as citizens we would get cheaper education than if we were PR - Neo paid as an international student. Strange thing is, he would have had to do the same in the UK, as we've been out so long. Not sure what else is different, apart from needing to vote and being eligible for jury service. Oh, and certain public sector jobs require citizenship. And we can get arrested without risk of deportation.

We did our pledges with Clover Moore, Mayor of Sydney, at the Town Hall (we come under the City of Sydney council area) and she urged us to challenge the status quo, to protest against things with which we don't agree, etc. I'm taking that as a serious responsibility - and I can now get arrested without risk of deportation ;)

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 26th Mar, '13, 09:18

Kooky wrote:We did our pledges with Clover Moore, Mayor of Sydney, at the Town Hall (we come under the City of Sydney council area) and she urged us to challenge the status quo, to protest against things with which we don't agree, etc. I'm taking that as a serious responsibility - and I can now get arrested without risk of deportation ;)
Uh oh. Look out, Australia!! :lol: ;)

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 26th Mar, '13, 14:54

So congratulations (I think) Kooky! Now you can demonstrate to your hearts content! ;)

I have to admit that having two passports was an advantage when travelling, depending on where you were heading. (I am an Aussie but have Brit parents so eligible for both).

K, have they stopped the weird requirement for a re-entry visa type thing in your British passport now? I used to have both but that was the reason I stopped renewing my British passport, it was just too much hassle to keep it up. I never used it to come in and out, the Aussie one was for that, it did look quite weird that all I ever did was leave and come back into the country, with no other entries at all. Even still, you had to go through a painful process to keep up the British one. I remember my mum only had her Brit passport and used to have to carry her old passport around because it had the original visa in it and she had to show that on re entry here because they did not reissue...red tape to the max.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 26th Mar, '13, 17:19

Oh I don't know about that, better find out! I thought it was only necessary if you wanted to use it to come back in on.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 26th Mar, '13, 17:53

Never had to get a re - entry visa to travel back and forth on my Brit passport.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '13, 11:15

I interviewed Clovis Moore a few years back and completely loved her!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.