Which martial art?

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Which martial art?

Post by Joseph27 » 28th Mar, '13, 19:43

With my family in Jakarta and me here alone, weeknights are getting dangerous... So to fill the void I thought I would dedicate myself to a few projects - one of which is martial arts? Anyone got recommendations? I have heard BJJ is good - and look at perhaps kick boxing but would welcome any suggestions
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Re: Which martial art?

Post by Lichtgestalt » 28th Mar, '13, 20:51

I think the big question is what you want to learn it for. Defending yourself when getting mugged, beat the living daylights out of someone for fun or to show off... .in Jakarta a gun might be best

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 28th Mar, '13, 21:20

i did tae kwan do . would recommend it. there are the patterns you must learn for each belt, the sparring and the workouts. Also love the whole test time cum competition event. My daughter currently loves standing on my tummy and I am very thankful that I had learnt how to handle it looooooong ago in tae kwan do class.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Mar, '13, 09:59

Standard boxing was fun as well. Best way to figure out is to sign yourself up to a 4 week schedule with your chosen martial art and if you like it, sign up for more. If not, move on to the next one.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Mar, '13, 10:00

Standard boxing was fun as well. Best way to figure out is to sign yourself up to a 4 week schedule with your chosen martial art and if you like it, sign up for more. If not, move on to the next one.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 29th Mar, '13, 15:09

Having done Tae Kwan Do and Judo, and having done wrestling as a sport, I would say none are really good for street fighting but Judo could come in handy in some situations. In fact I think a lot of these Karate schools give people a false sense of confidence that will come back on them in a real fight. it all depends on the people in the fight. In one of the dojos where I studied TKD, there were very aggressive Yellow Belts who gave some of the more technical Black Belts a pretty hard time while sparring.

I regret that I didn't learn to box, as it is probably the most useful, and that I didn't try Aikido until I was too old to deal with all the spinning. Probably Muay Thai is the best, or those Brazilian Jujitsu type ones.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 29th Mar, '13, 19:04

Try www.kali-majapahit.com

A Filipino martial art that gets you straight into punches, kicks, using knives and sticks early on. Doesn't to have too much ritual and is more about close combat fighting.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 29th Mar, '13, 21:22

restlessfeet
Lurker
Mood: happy

Post by restlessfeet » 13th Apr, '13, 16:31

Joseph27 wrote:With my family in Jakarta and me here alone, weeknights are getting dangerous... So to fill the void I thought I would dedicate myself to a few projects - one of which is martial arts? Anyone got recommendations? I have heard BJJ is good - and look at perhaps kick boxing but would welcome any suggestions

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 14th Apr, '13, 20:06

Did two Japanese styles of Karate up to 1st Dan grade and a little bit of Aikido. Karate is ok as an attacking art and relies more on destroying your opponent before they get the chance to floor you. (See video below). Aikido is much more about defending, avoiding and controlling rather than rendering the opponent unconscious.

My first karate sensei was an ex Marine Commando and taught us some dirty tricks as well as the technical stuff of the art. There are two simple techniques that are easy and simple to deter an attacker and particularly good and easy for women to use. The first is a straight fingered stab in the eyes with the first and second fingers of the hand. The reflex response from the attacker is to let go of you and place their hands over their eyes. This disorientation and temporary lack of sight leaves you time to run for it. Another similar technique is to use the palms of both hands to smack hard simultaneously onto both ears of the attacker. This is not only painful and can puncture ear drums but has the same effect as stabbing the eyes, i.e. the attacker immediately lets go and puts his hands over his ringing ears and gives enough disorientation and time for you to either run or flatten the attacker with a punch or kick. Then there's always the good old fashioned kick in the nuts of course.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Apr, '13, 22:21

I saw the original request as a "I want to go to a gym, I' want to go to a place where I can do a certain type of training". Not a "I want to learn how to fight back and protect myself".

Any and all martial arts will help you enjoy the physicality of such a sport.

Poppy Appeal

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 15th Apr, '13, 11:59

Fat Bob wrote:I saw the original request as a "I want to go to a gym, I' want to go to a place where I can do a certain type of training". Not a "I want to learn how to fight back and protect myself".

Any and all martial arts will help you enjoy the physicality of such a sport.
I agree with the keep fit angle. Any martial art taught by a qualified instructor will improve general fitness and flexibility. [punch.gif]
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 16th Apr, '13, 21:31

I started doing 2 x 2 hour classes a week. I can do a 5km run easily - well easily enough and 10km if I am pushed but that first 2 hour glass was a lesson in how bloody unfit I am... I look fwd to years of such lessons
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 17th Apr, '13, 11:38

I tried out Capoeira once. Man that was difficult, it needs intense concentration and excellent coordination. I tried out with Bantus (http://www.bantus-sg.com/) but I think there are several groups in Singapore. A quick Google found this: http://www.adoclife.com/

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 17th Apr, '13, 15:51

i second kali majapahit...