Which destination did you hate ?

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Re: Which destination did you hate ?

Post by nev » 10th Apr, '13, 17:53

Does it have to be a holiday destination? I absolutely loathe having a stopover in Manila. Sacramento also comes to mind: the city of the homeless and hopelessness. Last but not least: Jakarta, the Big Durian.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 10th Apr, '13, 18:21

For me I really didnt like Dubai , after 3 days there on a stopover I was glad to leave .

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 10th Apr, '13, 20:33

PERTH - ARRRRHHHH what a boring ass city. Funny though ones least favorite can be anothers favorite... Jakarta is a shit hole and filth and corruption but its home 3 days a fortnight at the moment when I can see my babies and it has literally everything else just melts away
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 11th Apr, '13, 05:18

Cancun I had a great time (and, with hindsight, some very silly, scary drunken adventures) and we did go for a singles beach holiday but the place itself was even more Tex than Mex than I expected. We ended up taking a domestic flight to see some reality.

And I really haven't been able to stomach Tequila since that trip.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 11th Apr, '13, 07:21

Cebu - blurgh and Pattaya - why? ( though Jedi will of course disagree)

Oh and Penang, Manila ( for the international and domestic terminal separation and an luggage inefficiency only rivalled by Heathow)
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Apr, '13, 07:35

I've figured out how to have an enjoyable trip to Manila (or through Manila). Use Cebu Pacific for arrival and departure. The domestic and international are from the same terminal and the terminal isn't the shit hole that SQ fly out of.

HAd a nightmare in December both going to Palau and returning, both via Terminal 1 (I think). Complete lack of organisation and no one wants to take ownership of any of the problems.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 11th Apr, '13, 07:43

Why and why?
BoD wrote:Cebu - blurgh

Oh and Penang
For me, I've liked everywhere I've been, if I had to pick one it would be Desaru (pointless) or Bintan (also pointless) or Manila (what a mess and I wouldn't walk most streets alone, but also quite a lad's weekend), but I didn't dislike them enough to hate them. Surely I'm forgetting something.......

Edit - added one
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Apr, '13, 09:23

I'll second Pattaya. Who can resist long relaxing strolls along the beach, taking in the heady aroma of raw sewage pumped into the bay. In the air, the lingering melody of Hotel California like a fresh breeze at every turn, punctuated by delightful "Hello what you nam where you come from" from friendly folks who want to share their treasures with you - exquisite carved wood Harley Davidsons, witty bogan slogan tees, each item with the promise of "special for you!" Charming bar after charming bar of fascinating adventurers who are grabbing life by the horns, neon pink from the sun, drunk by 10am, and fulfilling their knight in shining armour fantasies of saving countless innocent Thai boys and girls from the dreaded clutches of poverty. Yeah, sign me up.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 11th Apr, '13, 09:40

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I'll second Pattaya. Who can resist long relaxing strolls along the beach, taking in the heady aroma of raw sewage pumped into the bay. In the air, the lingering melody of Hotel California like a fresh breeze at every turn, punctuated by delightful "Hello what you nam where you come from" from friendly folks who want to share their treasures with you - exquisite carved wood Harley Davidsons, witty bogan slogan tees, each item with the promise of "special for you!" Charming bar after charming bar of fascinating adventurers who are grabbing life by the horns, neon pink from the sun, drunk by 10am, and fulfilling their knight in shining armour fantasies of saving countless innocent Thai boys and girls from the dreaded clutches of poverty. Yeah, sign me up.
Sound like you describing Patong beach , Phuket

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 11th Apr, '13, 09:47

Being a tourist and living in Pattaya are 2 very different things. Believe it or not, there is more to Pattaya than Walking Street and Beach Rd.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 11th Apr, '13, 10:05

I have had some really great family holidays in Pattaya , the secret is to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel and never leave. Epy boy loves it there , loads to do and hourly entertainment from the Hard Rock hotel staff.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Apr, '13, 10:07

I can't say I have really hated anywhere, but my worst memories are of Cardiff...freezing cold, sideways rain, drab surrounds and everyone was miserable. Perhaps it was the company (or lack thereof that I had at the time) but its only redeeming feature was the castle, and I think that was only because when I was there the sun actually came out and the daffodils were all just about to bloom. I am sure if I went back it might be different.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Apr, '13, 10:58

Cardiff is indeed lovely when the Daff's are out ;)

Lots of development over the last 15 years, including gentrification of the once notorious red light district of Tiger Bay (Cardiff Bay), the best sporting stadium in the world, spiritual home of Dr Who and Torchwood.

And before anyone posts photos of young things binge drinking in the city streets, avoid the city centre at night would be my advice !
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 11th Apr, '13, 11:16

Cardiff at night

Eating Outside - Cardiff by Maciej Dakowicz, on Flickr
Last edited by expat yorkshire on 11th Apr, '13, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 11th Apr, '13, 11:17

Fat Bob wrote:I've figured out how to have an enjoyable trip to Manila (or through Manila). Use Cebu Pacific for arrival and departure. The domestic and international are from the same terminal and the terminal isn't the shit hole that SQ fly out of.

HAd a nightmare in December both going to Palau and returning, both via Terminal 1 (I think). Complete lack of organisation and no one wants to take ownership of any of the problems.
Definitely avoid T1 if you can (all non-PA flights) - an absolute shambles in every way. The govt contracted some advisors from Changi Airport to come up with recommendations , yet to see any improvements. T2 (PA) is marginally better and T3 which is for Cebu and some of the budget airlines is ok...well in comparison to the others anyway!

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 11th Apr, '13, 11:39

daffodil wrote:Definitely avoid T1 if you can (all non-PA flights) - an absolute shambles in every way. The govt contracted some advisors from Changi Airport to come up with recommendations , yet to see any improvements. T2 (PA) is marginally better and T3 which is for Cebu and some of the budget airlines is ok...well in comparison to the others anyway!
I did hear T2 is better, but I won't fly PAL again even if you pay me. Worst airline ever.

So T3 is better? Then again, I plan to avoid Manila like the plague. I'd much prefer a stopover in Cebu (even though the city is just as dire). Or if the final destination is Palau, I'd fly through HK, Taipei, or Tokyo even if it costs more.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 11th Apr, '13, 12:35

I suspect mine would be Tijuana, Mexico had we not had the good sense to stay away :lol: Years ago we were visiting my brother in San Diego when he was in the Navy and his friends and roommates were going one night and invited us along. All it took was one look from my brother to get the clue that it was a place we didn't want to go :lol:

I've had good experiences with the places we've been in Asia so far, so thanks for your 'recommendations' on this thread. I've never had any desire whatsoever to go to Manila, so that should be easy to avoid ;)

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 11th Apr, '13, 13:45

Great news that so many want to avoid Manila - too many people here already!! [smilie=yahoo.gif]

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 11th Apr, '13, 17:14

Bangkok, hate might be strong, but no urge to see it again... hard to get around and harassed everywhere.

I've been to Manila and it was fine, it helped that I had a friend staying there and really only saw the business district, no urge to discover it tho, driving in from Clarke was enough of an experience.

What makes me hate a place is the grab for dollars, so Bangkok, Bintan and Cancun are up there, I hate being harassed to buy buy buy.... But the I hate Newton Circus for that too... Boat quay is sometimes up there... Although suddenly every other restaurants French?

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 12th Apr, '13, 04:35

I didn't like Penang either, apart from the char kway teow.

Bangkok really bugged me the first time for similar reasons to canucky (plus I had very bad Bangkok belly) but the second time I went, I really loved it. Neo had been many times on business in the interim and I think maybe we stopped looking so naive, knew where we wanted to go, and we weren't bothered.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 12th Apr, '13, 07:34

Interesting, another who didn't like Penang, and I'm keen to know why as we plan to visit.

Don't know why I've always liked Bangkok, as crowded, dirty, touristy and iffy that it can be, but I don't think I ever had anything bad happen while there and I don't think I ever had food problems in Thailand (like I did in Bali).
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 12th Apr, '13, 09:00

I've always loved Bangkok. Bangkok drivers on the other hand.... [smilie=23_3.gif]

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 12th Apr, '13, 10:53

Georgetown in Penang is a nice, historic but living Asian city that's great to wander around.

Like many SE Asian beaches, the beach there isn't nice at all.

I've never hated anywhere I've been, though I've certainly hated some things that happened in those places. It's always good to travel, even the bad trips are funny stories later.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 12th Apr, '13, 11:50

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I'll second Pattaya. Who can resist long relaxing strolls along the beach, taking in the heady aroma of raw sewage pumped into the bay. In the air, the lingering melody of Hotel California like a fresh breeze at every turn, punctuated by delightful "Hello what you nam where you come from" from friendly folks who want to share their treasures with you - exquisite carved wood Harley Davidsons, witty bogan slogan tees, each item with the promise of "special for you!" Charming bar after charming bar of fascinating adventurers who are grabbing life by the horns, neon pink from the sun, drunk by 10am, and fulfilling their knight in shining armour fantasies of saving countless innocent Thai boys and girls from the dreaded clutches of poverty. Yeah, sign me up.
You know, you really should write travel guides ... ;)