Which destination did you hate ?

When in doubt, post it in here.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Re: Which destination did you hate ?

Post by Dinosaur » 15th Apr, '13, 17:06

Sardonicus wrote:Interesting, another who didn't like Penang, and I'm keen to know why as we plan to visit.

Sardy, I think it's just horses for courses, quite honestly. Another poster above likes Georgetown. I don't like it and avoid it if at all possible. Nice buildings though. The beaches are just so-so... You can find some nice ones if you go off the beaten track, but if you really want beaches, go to Phuket* or Langkawi

*And I think Patong is just awful too, but Phuket is not Patong.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 18th Apr, '13, 09:57

São Paulo airport. what a frikkin' nightmare. Mauritius: the whole island. great if you like sugar cane fields and empty ocean, but don't expect much more. there's nothing left of what the island used to look like. the reefs have all been dynamited into bits for the construction industry and while they are now trying to regrow them (good luck) there's very little fish left.

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 18th Apr, '13, 10:58

Kooky wrote:I didn't like Penang either, apart from the char kway teow.

Bangkok really bugged me the first time for similar reasons to canucky (plus I had very bad Bangkok belly) but the second time I went, I really loved it. Neo had been many times on business in the interim and I think maybe we stopped looking so naive, knew where we wanted to go, and we weren't bothered.
I have to agree with Kooky...
Penang didn't do it for me...although I am yet to check out Georgetown, maybe this will be the gem of Penang...
Bangkok, yet another dirty city, actually preferred Bangkok when I was there during the curfew post red/yellow shirt protests...the city looked amazing when it all fell silent and empty...

Manila on the other hand... I thought was great... Particularly enjoyed exploring the historic Intramuros!
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 18th Apr, '13, 17:39

A bare room in a desert police station under armed guard in a remote part of Saudi Arabia for three days :(
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 18th Apr, '13, 20:09

Tell me more, tell me more, did he get very far.....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 19th Apr, '13, 13:40

Fat Bob wrote:Tell me more, tell me more, did he get very far.....
I still came out a virgin :lol:
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

babytin
Lurker
Mood: good

Post by babytin » 25th Apr, '13, 14:30

China town in London, terrible place especially evening!

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 26th Apr, '13, 04:01

Actually I don't think I've hated anywhere I have ever been - well apart from Basildon obviously. I was in Chinatown, London two days ago and the food - laksa, char kway teow etc etc were far from terrible ( though rather expensive)
We are the TPF